It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Klonopin users---when do you take your med

Saw my psych yesterday, he is going to try to switch me from Xanax XR to Klonopin with Ativan for any "breakthrough" panic. He wanted to do the switch because he said he's been using that combo in his panic patients for a long time with good results. I told him I'd give it a shot. I took Klonopin a looong time ago and all I remember is that I had to wean off it really slowly when I got better, much slower than other meds I'd taken. Anyway, do you guys take your dosage at night or in the daytime? It seems that I took it in the daytime last time, but this psych says try it at night at first. Comments or suggestions, anyone?

Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Klonopin users---when do you take your med

I take it whenever I feel like it. I don't take it on a regular basis, though I probably should... If I need one in the morning, I do that; if I need one at two in the afternoon, I take it then. I was taking it every day awhile back because my doctor wanted me to, and I took them every morning.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I take mine at night. I get a good night sleep and feel pretty good in the morning. Currently I take it as needed - a few months ago I was taking it every night at the same time and then as needed during the day. Eventually all I needed was my night time dose. Klonopin really worked for me and was a lifesaver! How much does he have you taking?

Old 10-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

He gave me 2mg pills and told me to try taking one pill but I'd probably need to because I'm switching from 4mg Xanax XR. I'm supposed to take it on a regular basis but just take the Ativan if I have breakthrough panic. I usually don't have trouble sleeping, so I'm wondering if I should try taking mine in the morning? I'm hoping this switch goes smoothly! It's good to hear the positive experiences on here.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Wow. 2 mg. I took a 0.5 mg at 4:30, came home around five and woke up at ten. 0.5 knocks me out- I can't imagine what a 2 mg pill would do... Best of luck, though!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Your doctor sounds very smart!

Most doctors don't know the basic equivalency charts, or don't seem to care to make a dose that is equally as strong.

Since Klonopin is twice as strong as Xanax, he started on you a dose that is right in line with what you were taking.

1mg Xanax=.5mg of Klonopin

4mg Xanax=2mg of Klonopin

I hope it works out for you.

I'm actually very intrigued by the fact that you said he is combining Klonopin with Ativan for breakthrough panic. This is common in pain management. A long acting pain medicine is the base dose. Then, patients are often given short acting meds for breakthrough pain, that way it covers all the bases.

It's interesting to see a psych doctor doing this with benzodiazepines, and it actually makes a lot of sense, in my opinion. You sound like you have a really knowledgable doctor, and I'm happy for you. It's tough finding a good one.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

I'm certainly hoping for the best! I dropped off my prescription yesterday, will pick it up this afternoon, and begin taking the new meds (Klonopin and Ativan) on Thursday. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for all the posts.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
(female)

catlover4156 HB User

I take mine at bedtime, though I do take half a pill or one pill earlier in the day if I'm feeling uneasy. I try not to overdo it as my pharmacist told me it is habit-forming.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

whoevea HB User
Wink Re: Klonopin users---when do you take your med

my doctor prescribe that for me today and hes gonna monitor me on it i have a history of abusing pills. he told me to take one when i wake up and another in the evening. well i already took 4 . i cant mess this up but it seems like i already am!

but when i took the first one i went home and passed out at 5pm and woke up at 9pm.
it seems to work for my Anxiety because my Anxiety is Skye high!
so far its OK. i think i might take 2 tonight for sleep because my sleeping has been not so good.

good luck to ya!

Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #10

froggirl HB User

It is different for eveybody, but I take mine throughout the day. I am on 1 mg of clonopin, 3 times per day. I'm hoping my doc changes my meds tomorrow, because my anxiety and panic attacks have been thru the roof! I need something else, cause this doesn't appear to be working. Don't let my biatchiness about this whole thing get you down, it may work perfect for you! Different people, different outcomes!

Closed Thread