It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User
Xanax XR

Hey all. My doctor just gave me a scrip for Xanax XR. I am kind of leary about taking this. I have had anxiety for on and off for 5 yrs. Lately they have been so bad that they tried putting me on leapro and effexor and both did not work...I had every side effect possible. So now I have been taking Ativan for when I have an attack and they seem to help some. That is why she is now putting me on Xanax. Has anyone had this med be4?? Can you give me some feedback on it or what should I expect from taking it? Thank you.
Jackie

Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: Xanax XR

I take regular xanax not the xr but I'm sure someone here can give you more detail. From my exp. with xanax, it works well, better than ativan by far for me. The XR is the same med just longer lasting. I'm actually going to ask my doctor for that instead of the regular. With regular xanax it wears off quickly - like 3-5 hours depending on the person. For me it's about 4 hours. The XR doesn't wear off so quickly and from what I understand it's very smooth, no weird patches of med release. I'd try it and see. You've taken ativan so you know the thing about a little sleepiness at first. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Xanax is waaaaay better than Ativan, it's generally considered stronger. The XR lasts longer than the original Xanax. I've had good results with Xanax XR (though my psych is switching me to his "preferred cocktail" of high-dose Klonopin and Ativan). Try it, I think you will be pleased. The first day or two you may feel a little off-balance, but you'll feel immediately calmer so you won't worry about that. After a few days, your body will get used to the Xanax XR and you'll just get the calming effects.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Thanks for the advise. I'm just scared of trying another drug and it not working for me. I am so tired of feeling this way. I will start taking it 2morrow...we shall see. I'll keep you posted....I'm sure I'll some more questions about it and what I'm feeling.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I am an extreme mediphobe, and I am taking Xanax now. It is the only one that doesn't lay me out with side effects. Honestly the only feeling I got out of it was drwsiness and relief from anxiety. I have only been taking a small dose for a month, so I am by no means an expert, but so far it is working great. Xanax XR is simly the extended release version of what I am taking and it should work even better than the regular xanax. I have to take it 4 x a day in order to keep my blood level up, so one pill would be a welcome relief. I am going to have my doc prescribe that next time as well. That is so much more conveinient. Oh yea, the drowsiness wears off, but the anxilytic effect doesn't, so don't worry if you are not tired anymore. It is still working.

Later.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

They are only putting me on .5 mg....VERY LOW I guess to see how I react to it. Like I said before I hope this one works. I'm tired of this pain. I feel like I can't even live my own life because of it. Should I wait until the weekend to start taking it or will I be ok driving to work in the a.m. the first couple days on it??

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-03-2006 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Removed chat room, text message "word" and replaced it with the proper word. Ms_Mod

Old 10-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
(female)

LemonSupreme HB User

Yes! This med is great! It takes a little longer to work than regular Xanax but stays in your system all day - great drug in my opinion. I have no side effects from it.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

How do you compare the dosing of regular Xanax to Xanax XR? I've also read that some people need to take it twice a day because it doesn't last quite as long as the company claims.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I take it 2-3 times a day...The dosing is pretty much teh same, it might take a few days to get a good level of the medicine in the blood...But, after that, the dosing is pretty standard.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

I've never taken either Xanax or the Xananx XR before. I have taken Ativan and I am thinking they are kind of the same. I didn't start taking them yet today, I haven't gotten to my pharmacy yet...but I will be taken them 2morrow.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-04-2006 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Replaced "text message" word with proper word. Ms_Mod

Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

So today was my first day of the Xanax XR. So far I feel pretty good. I'm kind of tired but that could be becuase it's a rainy day outside I don't have any anxiety symptoms going on right now...so hopefully it's working.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

jackey,
Hope the Xanax XR keeps working well for you today.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

You take the XR 2-3 times a day? I'm beginning to get frustrated with my regular release Xanax. My days have become very long and very stressful. Not good for a person with an anxiety disorder. The 3 tabs a day just isn't covering me. I'm afraid to tell my doctor though because I've heard that most people don't have to increase the dosage once they've found their therapeutic level, but there are some who become increasing tolerate and need to increase almost indefinitely. I hope I'm not one of those people.

It's just that Xanax only lasts 3 hours for me so 9 hours of relief is not enough. The dosing, 1mg t.i.d. isn't helping enough because I'm going through an extremely damanding and stressful period of my life. Maybe the 1 mg t.i.d. wasn't really my therapeutic level anyway. Maybe I do need more. I also had to increase to that amount when I started on Provigil for excessive day time sleepiness because it is somewhat stimulating.

I really need both to keep me functional, but I'm not sure he'd like to push the Xanax too much. I'm sad that I need medication to help me live the best quality of life I can have. Maybe eventually I can learn other methods of controlling my anxiety (I am doing some CBT anxiety techniques), and maybe the rough period of my life will die down. But right now, this is what I need.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-06-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
(female)

girlwitstyle HB User

Hi!
How is the Cognitive Behavorial stuff working for you? I have been going to a doctor for over 3 months now. I have had no success really. In fact, my anxiety has just worsened over the 3 months I've been seeing him. I seem to have alot of chaos in my life right now, so I don't think he is at fault at all, just I am dealing with so much stuff the anxiety is just terrible.
I had deaths in the family, stress with with work, bought place, renovating, marriage troubles...you name it! haha
Anyway, I just wondered what kind of techniques that the CBT has been teaching you. I really only have some breathing excercises and just trying to talk myself through the attacks, like welcome them and know they will go away type of thing.

I am considering stopping the therapy because it's very expensive and I just don't see it's helping right now.

Cheers
Sara

Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Hi Jealibeanz- No I am only to take the Xanax XR once a day in the morning. I think the regular Xanax could be taken a couple times a day. So far today it has worked for me...but it is only day one. I am the same way, I hate taking meds. I would love to find another way to deal with these attacks, rather then medication. But, I have to keep telling myself that this is just temporary and it's going to help me to get my life back. The way my doctor said it to me was "If you needed to take blood pressure medicine you would take it right?"

Girlwitstyle-Yes I have to say my therapist has been helping me see the big picture on things. I had no idea when and why I started to get these attacks. He is helping me see this. I wouldn't give up on it. Maybe you just need to find a different doctor...someone who you can really open to. This is my second one...first one didn't do anything for me.

I have found some things that have worked for me when I am having an attack. I live kind of close to the beach...so whenever things are getting bad I drive down to the ocean and just sit there...summer, winter...whenver. If it is so bad that I can't drive I have some of those relaxation cd's...nature sounds. I just put them on and lay down in a dark room and just clear my mind. I have to say the best thing that has been working for me this past month is coming on here and talking to everyone who in the same boat as me. It really does help to talk to people who understand what your going through. Don't give up!!!!!! You will beat this...we all will!!!!!!!
Jackie

Closed Thread