It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

hurting333 HB User
I week on Lexapro

Well its been exactly 1 week on Lexapro and I know there were a few out there that were starting at the same time as me. I was on ZOLOFT which was terrible for me and I weaned down to 25mg pretty quickly from 100mg. I stopped Zoloft and started 5mg of Lexapro in 1 day. I took 5mg for 2 days and upped it to 10mg. I am having anxiety; nothing like the Zoloft and I dont feel great....but I understand it takes time. I have been on Lexapro before and it worked for me. I am taking .25 of Klonopin in the morning until I wake up with no anxiety and then I will stop.

I could use a good week upcoming. But the side effects so far are increased anxiety a little. Other than that....no Side Effects

Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: I week on Lexapro

I am coming up on week 3 for Lexapro. At first it made me sleepy and now it makes me hyper. I had big problems with constipation but that has subsided the last few days. It is helping with depression though and the least side effects that I have had with an SSRI.

I also take xanax to help with anxiety which hopefully I will be able to just be on Lexapro.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

when I first started Lexapro I had anxiety the first couple of weeks. My doctor gave me klonopin to help with that. Then it subsided.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
(female)

SassiClassi HB User

I am on day 9 of 10mg and I feel pretty great. Not tired but sleeping very well and my head is really clear. I seem to have little anxious moments which last ten minutes or so a few times a day but these are getting further apart. I do seem to be craving carbs but trying to resist! On the whole pretty pleased with so few side effects.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #5
(male)

hurting333 HB User

Today is day 8 on Lexapro. Only day 6 at 10mg. I still feel terrible. My anixety is pretty damn high. I have a slight headache. Enough that I think about it but not enough pain to make me stop what I am doing. I am waiting for the fog, anxiety to clear. Maybe 10mg isnt enough....however...I think I should wait until the side effects vanish. I have been on this med before but I do not remember the start being this tough. Klonopin is helping me through this. NEED HELP....THIS SUX

Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

It took me a few weeks for this medication to start working. Give it time. Make sure get some exercise and take your vitamins. And use your klonopin!

I know it's not great in the beginning. If fact this medication was too strong for me so they put me on Celexa, which doctors say is not as strong. But... I was on it for a few months and remeber the lingering headaches - advil worked great for me. I would call your doctor though and let him know how you are feeling.

Taking meds is tough in the beginning but brighter days will soon be here!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
(female)

marys62 HB User

I just went back on Lexapro after being off for about 10 months. The last time I took it, it took about 3 weeks to work and then I was fine. This time, it took 6 weeks. I took an ativan (.5 mg) in the am for the first few weeks but then it started to kick in and I no longer needed it. Maybe when you are on an AD and go off and back on it takes longer to work? Not sure about that but hang in there - it took a while for me but now I feel fine.

mary

Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
(male)

hurting333 HB User

Still waiting for improvement. Today is 1 week on 10 mg and still having anxiety and not feeling well. I wonder if 10mg is not enough. Maybe 20mg should be the next step. Shouldnt I be seeing some improvement?

Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

It took weeks for Lexapro to kick in for me. Did your Dr. give you something like klonopin to help with the anxiety until the the meds kick in?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
(male)

SirPhish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurting333
Still waiting for improvement. Today is 1 week on 10 mg and still having anxiety and not feeling well. I wonder if 10mg is not enough. Maybe 20mg should be the next step. Shouldnt I be seeing some improvement?
I know how you feel, those were my words exactly when I started taking lexapro. It took me about 2-3 weeks to start feeling the effects and all I can say it just try to tough it out till then.

One suggestion is don't say to yourself "I wonder if 10mg is not enough" and "Shouldnt I be seeing some improvement?". That in itself is just creating even MORE anxiety and making things worse for you.

Relaxing, taking a walk, meditation, reading a book, hanging out with my friends to keep my mid off things, that's the stuff I did which helped.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
(male)

hurting333 HB User

damn....it is getting worse as i am not having any relief and the anxiety is getting worse. 1 1/2 weeks into this and I am officialy getting ****** that it is not working.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
(female)

Reyne HB User

Give it some more time!!! When I first started Lexapro I was sleepy then about 1 1/2 later I could of bounced off the walls. Now it is starting to mellow out and I do not have to take Xanax daily.

If it get to be too much call you Dr and see if can give you something till it kicks in. Hang in there I know it feels like a roller coaster but it will even out.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
(male)

SirPhish HB User

You're giving yourself MORE anxiety the more and more you think that!

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-09-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #14
(male)

hurting333 HB User

I was feeling better for the last 3 days and today is another anxious day. I am wondering about going up to 20mg or giving more time at 10mg. For three days I felt a little anxiety but now I am lightheaded again and it seems the anxiety is worse. I want to get off the small dose of klonopin I am on but now I am afraid too as I dont feel anxiety free yet.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Guys. The antidepressants are not going to be worth the side effects. My mother who suffers from the exact same thing as myself and most of the people on this site has been on paxil and buspar for, gosh 10 years now and she still has major amounts of down time. Please try the benzos as a long term solution. If you do have depression as well then there will be some benefit to SSRI's, but if you are talking strictly anxiety and panic then stick to the meds designed to fix that problem. Xanax, Klonopin, Vallium etc. They ARE addictive, but so aren't all the other drugs you are taking, but Benzos have virtually no side effects. Give it a go and see if it helps. I have 20 years of attempted use of SSRI's, so as you can see my mother has been at it even longer. Good luck to all of you. i hope you find your answer.

Closed Thread