It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Well, I'm hopeless,,,,,,

I was supposed to go to the dentist today to get an x-ray of a tooth that has been hurting. I had a MAJOR panic attack an hour ago, with rapid heartbeat and major skips. So I took a Xanax and called the Dentist and rescheduled. All this over AN X-RAY!!! I could just cry, except the Xanax kicked in, haha. Anyways, what is with this intense fear of dentist, no, I know what it is, it stems from last year when I had an abcessed tooth for 3 months, which was making me extremely sick, but no dentist could find it, because there was no tooth pain, no swelling, only my entire right jaw hurt, and that was it. Three months of x-rays, endo appointments, 3 antibiotics, then one just took a guess on which tooth it was and my dentist pulled it, and it was very infected at the root. (sometimes x-rays won't show up abcesses). Now I'm having the same kind of pain, and I'm scared . I had to take a lot of Ativan last year just to get me in to get it pulled. I am really scared of another abcess, and the tooth that hurts is right next to the one that was pulled. Yes, I sound like a baby, sorry, this is one of my phobias I'm trying to desperately get over, with little success. I think it would be easier to get over if I didn't have such problems with my darn teeth!! Michelle

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-03-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: If you know that a word is questionable enough that you have to edit part of it out, just don't use it...Always use proper language. Ms_Mod

Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Well, I'm hopeless,,,,,,

Does your dentist use gas at all??? I cannot go to a dentist unless they gas me up. I am ok for cleaning but other than that no way the sounds of the drills just make me want to die.

Good luck hope you take care of your tooth problem! I understand it is hard to over come that type of fear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Michelle,
Don't feel bad, many people, even those who aren't usually anxious, fear the dentist. My advice is this: take extra meds the day before and the day of your appt. (you may want to call your doc/psych and tell him the situation, or you may be able to do it on your own if he's given you permission to use your meds as needed). This is how I get through things that make me jumpy. Start the day before, then the day of the appt., take the maximum amount of meds your doc will allow at one time and you'll be able to handle it. You may need someone to drive you, but you should be so relaxed you can get into the dentist's chair with only a little bit of controllable anxiety.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

(s)aint HB User

At least you took the step in making the appointment in the first place. For someone with a phobia, thats a pretty big step itself. (Huge step considering I haven't even called my dentist for a wisdom tooth consultation...I'm to scared ot get them out haha) I think the best thing you can do is call up the dentist, explain the situation and ask if it is okay to take some extra meds like CircusSquirrel suggested. I'm just saying you should ask first because I know my dentist really likes to know my medical history and what meds I'm on just in case something he using doesn't mix well etc. And don't be dissapointed in yourself if it takes a few tries to get there. Baby steps really is key when tyring to conqour a phobia!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Thanks for your kind words... I rescheduled for Thursday afternoon, so I will definetely keep my Xanax going, and am going to call a friend to take me there in case I can't. I can't believe I'm scared over the x-ray. I guess I'm more scared what that x-ray is going to say. I am just tired of going to the dentists and receiving bad news. I know a friend who has bad teeth, they are always getting abcessed and it doesn't bother her one bit to go in to get a root canal. Shots don't bother her either. I'm so jealous. Michelle

Closed Thread