It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

Donna-Sue HB User
Unhappy Bata Blockers

Are the used for Anxiety? My doctor wants to take me off of Klonopin, and he just started me on Prozac, I am frightend to come off the Klonopin, it has truely made a difference in my life. He say's "He" is not found of Benzo.......

I don't want an antidepressant for my anxiety. Just a anxiety medication.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: Bata Blockers

Well, beta-blockers can help with anxiety by blocking adrenaline which in turn helps keep the heart rate lower as well as the blood pressure. It can also help with the sweating and shakiness. It doesn not however stop the anxiety or panic. I'm on a beta blocker and I still have a ton of anxiety and all the symptoms still come on when I am in a panic attack. Is your doctor willing to let you stay on your klonopin until you're stabalized on something else? Why are these doctors so afraid to let us be anxiety-free with the use of benzos? There was a great thread on this yesterday.
Good luck and ask your doc to allow you to remain on klonopin until you're stable on something else, or go find a different doctor.

Tori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Beta blockers are not for anxiety. However, a lot of us with anxiety suffer from high heart rates and are put on beta blockers to lower the heart rate. Like the last poster, I am on beta blockers and still have anxiety. I also take xanax.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

Donna-Sue HB User

I just don't know to do. I truely believe in Benzo's. NOT SSRI's. I hope I don't have to find a family doctor.............

Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

Actually family docs are least likely to prescribe a benzo. You're best bet is to find a different psych doctor who will be willing to allow you to do whatever keeps you stable and you feel most comfortable with.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

Donna-Sue HB User

This is true. I am seeing a regular doctor. My insurance doesn't but 10 percent of seeing a pysc.

Closed Thread