It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Exclamation Cymbalta: Sugar/Carb cravings + Insomnia

Me: PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome- includes quite a few "symptoms", one being insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome), hypothyroidism, hypoglycemic, GAD (generalized anxiety disorder)

Side Effects: First few weeks, nausea and dry mouth. These tapered off (unless I forgot to take it for a couple of days, side effects would return). Long term side effects include decreased appetite (excellent! i liked this part!) but my serotonin levels increased so I craved sugars and carbs like mad! May not be a problem for those that don't have issues with diabetes/insulin response/current craving for sweets. Also had major insomnia. Helped anxiety a bit, but not worth staying on long-term.

I gained weight on this medication because my body was increasing its serotonin levels and decided it liked sugar and carbs way too much, and couldn't go without it. I take additional medication for my insulin resistance and hadn't had problems until taking Cymbalta, so watch out for that, as it was unexpected! I don't want to gain weight and keep eating sugar, so I am tapering off with 30 mg (took 60mg before).

May try Wellbutrin, suggested by my doctor, as she mentioned that it has recently been approved for help with anxiety as of this year, 2006. Cool! I hate taking medicine though and I am a recent vegan and proud owner of a treadmill, so I am going to try to do without.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: Cymbalta: Sugar/Carb cravings + Insomnia

Hi toxicat. I also have PCOS. I was fine while I was on the pill, but I had to stop taking it because I tested positive for lupus anticoagulant and now I have to worry about blood clots. Ever since then, I am gaining weight like there is no tomorrow. I have heard about insulin resistance in PCOS. I think I will check out the PCOS board later today.

Anyway - this isn't really an answer to your original post, but I was wondering if you ever thought there was a link between PCOS and anxiety? I sometimes wonder if the hormones play a role in this.

Good luck with your med trials. I couldn't stand welbutrin, but it is different for everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela_C
Anyway - this isn't really an answer to your original post, but I was wondering if you ever thought there was a link between PCOS and anxiety? I sometimes wonder if the hormones play a role in this.
It would make sense if it did, I suppose. I guess that's why I want to try to take care of myself on a healthy eating and exercise note and see what happens from there before jumping on medication again. May take vitamins instead, like B12 for healthy nerves..

Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I just started exercising too. I have to do something to get this weight off. I'm going to have them test my hormones again and see what they're doing now. This is no fun, that's for sure.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

It actually doesn't increase your level of serotonin or help in the production of "more" serotonin.

SSRI's don't increase the level of serotonin, the just prevent its release from the brain into the body, where it gets inactivated and expelled.

As far as gastric side-effects...have you noticed any changes in bowel frequency?

I will be getting Cymbalta again Friday. I lost my insurance and couldn't take it the last time...but, I'm going to be using it for anxiety and pain. It's supposed to be good at helping certain nerve pain conditions. I was wondering if you had any problems with nerve pain or any other type of pain like FM and it helped, by chance?

Did your doctor give you anything for the insomnia? My doctor always gave me Ambien CR to take when I started a new antidepressant that was prone to cause insomnia.

I just reread your post and saw that you are tapering off of it, but if you could answer any of my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Inactivated is what I meant! Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking quicker than I was typing. But no, I haven't had any problems with nerve pain, at least not that I recall. I've heard it's perfect to aid in that, though. And yes, my doctor gave me a prescription for Lunesta or Ambien, one, not sure which, but I decided not to bother with them. Tylenol PM was working fine, but I just don't like taking one medicine to take another and then that one causes me to take another... it's like a chain. But Cymbalta is definitely recommended for everyone, of course we all know medicine works different for each of us, but it was great otherwise. Just sometimes we have to deal with certain side effects.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-05-2006 at 07:58 AM.

Closed Thread