It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Wellbutrin for Anxiety

I was told by my doctor 2 days ago that Wellbutrin was approved this year for anxiety, whereas before it was mainly for depression. Anyone have specific and recent experiences with it?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: Wellbutrin for Anxiety

Really? My gyn prescribed wellbutrin a couple of years ago for my anxiety. I never took it because my md said it would not be good for me because of my panic attacks. I would love to take it, as it isn't supposed to cause weight gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I wish i could of stayed on it. I lost 5lbs in a week. Of course I didn't know about klonopin back then either. Wellbutrin caused me to increased anxiety - but... most medications make you feel that way at first. Everyone is different. Please keep us posted on how you do. This medication actually repaired my fatgue and had no other side effects.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandancer
Really? My gyn prescribed wellbutrin a couple of years ago for my anxiety. I never took it because my md said it would not be good for me because of my panic attacks. I would love to take it, as it isn't supposed to cause weight gain.
Yeah? Huh, maybe check into it again, as she did say this is new. That would be great for you. I've only had one panic attack as an adult, at least as far as what I knew what it was and what was going on! Scary stuff.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User
Question Re: Wellbutrin for Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2006
I wish i could of stayed on it. I lost 5lbs in a week. Of course I didn't know about klonopin back then either. Wellbutrin caused me to increased anxiety - but... most medications make you feel that way at first. Everyone is different. Please keep us posted on how you do. This medication actually repaired my fatgue and had no other side effects.
Did you sleep better or worse/more or less at night, or about the same?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
(female)

cecropia HB User

I read where Wellbutrin was approved for SAD this year. I suppose that could be anxiety related as well as depression. I have tried Wellbutrin in the past and made it about a week. I know people who have been on it for many years and it seems to be a good long term medication. I have problems with dizzy spells no matter what I take and the 7th day on Wellbutrin I had to stop because I kept feeling like I was falling over when I wasn't moving at all. That was the only side effect I had that bothered me. I didn't notice that it increased my anxiety at all. It works different on everyone. I get dizzy very easily on elevators, heights, certain carnival rides, where as others never feel dizzy on wellbutrin, so you should give it a try.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

From what I can remember I slept good. My sister was on this for years and she loved it. Only complaint she had was that after a year on it she became really tires around 2 pm. When she slowly came off Wellbutrin she had no side effects. How awsome is that.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

My psych told me Wellbutrin is not aggressive enough for people with acute anxiety or panic attacks. He also said you can't smoke while on it as it can cause sudden increased blood pressure(came from the Zyban to quit smoking thing). But from what I understand if your anxiety is mild to moderate with no panic attacks and you don't smoke then it's a good drug, mild side effects.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
(female)

Toxicat13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttygirl
My psych told me Wellbutrin is not aggressive enough for people with acute anxiety or panic attacks. He also said you can't smoke while on it as it can cause sudden increased blood pressure(came from the Zyban to quit smoking thing). But from what I understand if your anxiety is mild to moderate with no panic attacks and you don't smoke then it's a good drug, mild side effects.
Yeah, I'd say my anxiety is mild on a daily basis, and worse in certain situations. My anxiety skyrockets when work is extremely busy, such as during the Spring (I work at Lowe's as a Supervisor, so it gets very very hectic, like WalMart at the holidays, or a mall). I also have a lot of anxiety when I am sleepy, especially in the mornings- I'm very sensitive to light and sound and can be easily "set off." Weird.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #10

freedomforce HB User

My personal experience with wellbutrin for anxiety is mostly positive. I have mild to moderate anxiety and wellbutrin seems to keep me fairly calm for the most part while giving me more energy and drive. I felt jittery at first so I can see how people with severe anxiety could have problems. As far as sleeping a few weeks after I starting taking it I did have problems falling asleep. My Doc then gave me a script for some allergy meds that make you drowsey a bit so the sleeping issue was not much of a problem. I'm off the allergy meds and now I sleep fine taking Wellbutrin.

Closed Thread