It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Unhappy Boy...do I Have Anxiety Now.

I posted a while back.I have suffered anxiety and depression for at least 8 years. I now have a reason to have anxiety. I had blood drawn yesterday at my OBGYN'S office to check thyroid function.They were normal.I know I should be happy but, my GYN felt my neck and said I needed a uptake scan of my thyroid.Its scheduled for tommorow.I am so scared now.He evidentally felt something or I would'nt be scheduled.I could possibly have thyroid cancer.PLEASE PLEASE pray for me.All I can think about is my kids.I want to be OK and be here for them for a LONG LONG time.Just sad and depressed today.God Bless you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
(male)

bynobody HB User
Re: Boy...do I Have Anxiety Now.

You dont have cancer.

You might have hyperthyroidism though, in which case the explanation for all your depression and anxiety has been found and you will be cured in no time.

My aunt has this and she had severe depression and anxiety for years til she started taking her medication for thyroid and now she is totally normal.

If you do have that, you're very lucky IMHO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Talking Re: Boy...do I Have Anxiety Now.

Thanks for the encourageing words!I needed that!I hope everything is OK.Take care and God Bless.

Last edited by mirandarose; 10-04-2006 at 01:48 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

Fiona84 HB User

Hi,

This EXACT thing happened to me a few months ago. I was terrified!!

I went in to get a gyn. exam at my normal gp, a routine thing. She felt my neck and said I had an enlarged thyroid and ordered me to have bloodwork and an ultrasound.

I was scared, and since this wasnt something I had anxiety about, I was even more convinced it was a "real" problem this time.

Guess what? My thyroid scan came back normal. My blood work came back normal. I spent over a week convinced I had thyroid cancer. All for nothing! Boy do I wish I had that week back where I did nothing but look up thyroid cancer online.

Even if there IS somethin wrong with your thyroid, there is good news. 98% of thyroid cancers are completely treatable. Its the most treatable cancer there is. Also, up to 50% of the population has thyroid nodules (most unnoticed...these are documented during autopsies and thats how they figure this large amount has them), and only 2% of these are cancerous. So....even if you do have lumps and bumps, its more than likely not cancer anyways. And if it is, you can be treated.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. When I finally got my results I was so annoyed. But, doctors can never be too careful and we should be thankful for that. At least they are doing their job.

Take care and if you have any more concerns pop by the thyroid board, you will see how little there is to worry about.

Fiona

Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mirandarose HB User
Unhappy Re: Boy...do I Have Anxiety Now.

Thanks Fiona!I appreciate the concern and information. I am just a worrier by nature anyways and I hate not knowing whats wrong or not wrong with me?!Its just been one thing after another with me.I have had biopsies in the past and dodged the big "C" many times.Everything I have had done has come back benign.I am just scared this time its going to be bad?Here's to hopeing its nothing?!!!Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I will second what Fiona said. I know you're nervous, I would be too, but that's OK. Once you get your test and find out it is nothing, you will have your piece of mind. I have thyroid nodules. I found this out before I had anxiety, so I wasn't worried about it at the time. I had to get a scan and found out that they were non-cancerous. My endo told me that a lot of people out there are walking around with thyroid nodules and will never even know. My aunt, though, did have thyroid cancer and had her thyroid taken out and she is fine. That was 6 or 7 years ago and no sign of cancer since. I'm pretty sure that thyroid cancer is treated pretty easily. I highly doubt you have it, but even if you do, it can be treated. Keep us posted about your results. I'm sure you will be fine! I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry so much about it. Luckily your test is today and it will all be over soon. We will be thinking about you!

Closed Thread