It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Unhappy I have to go to the dentist today!!!!!

I am so scared of the dentist!!!!! I am going to take an Ativan an hour and half before I go and have a friend drive me there. I am only, yes only, going for an x-ray, but I'm scared to death he is going to tell me my tooth is abcessed and will have to do a root canal. So I'm scared of the outcome. My anxiety is getting the better of me lately. My Stepmother is mad I went off the Zoloft and said that the Xanax/Ativan is very addicting and I need a chemical to correct my brain, not a tranquilizer. That made me feel really low. I told her that the Xanax worked well in the past, and what is wrong with a three month dose of it? I've taken 4 pills now in 2 weeks, doesn't sound like I'm addicted. However, I would like to start taking the Xanax daily, but am trying to wait until next Monday when I see my Dr. again to discuss it with her. Anyways, back to the dentist today, I really hate this fear. I am scared of having an attack while in the dentist office too, even if I'm on the Ativan. I want to take the Ativan instead of the Xanax, because the Ativan makes me more tired and I'd rather be out of it as much as possible, just to get me there. I feel like such a loser. Michelle

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-05-2006 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Please read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board as to why edits were made to your post. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: I have to go to the dentist today!!!!!

You're NOT a loser!!! A lot of us have this fear. Unfortunately we have to deal with it if our teeth hurt and we need relief from that! I'm going to have to start some serious dental work soon and it scares the heck out of me. Make sure your dentist knows that you have this disorder, most are very understanding and will accomodate you. I know you'll do fine! Take your ativan and breathe deeply into your belly. Keep telling yourself everything is fine. Let us know how it went......and remember, you're not alone with this.

Tori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Michelle. Don't be afraid. (Yeah, right, easier said than done.) I didn't even have to tell my dentist about my anxiety - he knew after my first visit. He offered me a prescription for some valium but I told him I would just take my xanax the next time. I have been in there about 5 times since. I take .5mg xanax about a half hour before I get there. I also get the "laughing gas". One time I even fell asleep. And don't be nervous about getting the gas - you will feel funny while you are on it but as soon as they give you regular oxygen it flushes the other stuff right out of your system. Just let your dentist know about your anxiety and he/she should be very accomodating. If he isn't, then you should probably find a new dentist. Good luck today and let us know how it goes!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

cecropia HB User

Hi Mich,
I second it, you are not a loser! I have a dentist appt. next week and I'm dreading it. It's just for a cleaning and all my dental work is up to date, but I'm always afraid of what they will find.

Of the 14 years I've been battling Gad and depression, I've also had 3 root canals and some caps put on. I'm getting older and the older I get the more caps they seem to want to put on. Well, I can honestly say the dentist has never hurt me even the root canals were painless. Once everything is frozen I never felt a thing, it's just the idea of going to the dentist and I will never get over it. I've been through dental work without meds and with meds, just depends on where I'm at, at the monent with my anxiety needs.

Another thing I hate is Jury Duty. I've gone through Jury Duty and at other times I've had to get a doctor's excuse to get out of it, just depends if I am going through a year of bad anxiety or a year with no anxiety. It sure can be a pain, but never think of yourself as a loser! Okay???

Closed Thread