It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
Anxiety Symptoms?

These are a few things that happen throughout the day, I'm not sure if they are anxiety related. Do any of them sound familiar?

- Easily startled. Example: When I'm driving and someone suddenly honks (it's never even at me), I jump... and then I feel stupid and wonder if someone in another car noticed.

- Something little goes wrong, and all of a sudden EVERYTHING sucks. If I'm trying to listen to a CD, and it's not working... all of a sudden everything is hopeless. If I make a salad, and then find that there's no dressing in the fridge, now it's the end of the world. For me, it doesn't really last long... maybe even just a few minutes. But for those few minutes, these feelings are so real and my mind just totally blows this minor thing out of proportion.

- Guilt... sometimes I feel unnecessary guilt, and most of the time I don't even know why. I feel like I'm disappointing somebody for seemingly no reason. But when there is a reason... like if my mom asked me to drop something off at the post office, and I forget to do it... then I feel 10 times worse. If my cat is being too playful and pestering my parents, I feel guilty about it... and then I put him away in my room and I feel bad about that.

- Feeling "stuck" in your head. This one is kind of hard to explain, but throughout the day I'll feel like I'm thinking too much... my mind wanders. I guess I feel like I don't have a normal thought process. I'll start wondering why I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing, start asking myself "What is the point of doing this?" And then somehow this leads to "Why am I here? Why is anyone here? What is the meaning of life?". I'll pick up the phone to call a friend, and think "Well, what am I going to say? Do I have anything to say? Will I bore them? Will they want to hang out? Do I want to hang out? What are we going to do if we hang out, and where will we go?" And sometimes when I do hang out with friends, I can't "snap out of it"... I can't interact normally, I just feel like there's way too much going on upstairs.

- Driving on auto pilot. This one kind of continues from the previous one. You're driving, and you know when to stop, you know when to turn, you know where you're going... but you're kind of not paying attention to any of it, yet you're still driving safely. It's like everything I need to do when I drive is in my subconscious, and now my conscious mind can continue wander off, thinking excessively. A lot of the time I won't even remember what I was thinking about while I'm driving.

That's all I can think of right now. I also have depression, so I'm not sure if any of those could be related to that. The one that is the most annoying is feeling stuck in my head/thinking too much.

Last edited by JB68711; 10-05-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: Anxiety Symptoms?

JB68711 - Hello! I don't know about all of your symptoms, but I do know that being easily startled is an anxiety symptom. That happens to me, too. Also, some of your other side effects might be personality traits of someone who suffers from anxiety, like the feeling guilty and blowing things out of proportion. People with anxiety usually have trouble coping with things, as I do. Any little thing that happens can screw up my entire day. I just can't deal with stuff. Also, I hate to let anyone down, that is where the guilt comes in. My mom has no tolerance for children, so when my kids are around her I am constantly trying to keep the kids from annoying my mom. I just want everyone to get along and be happy. Sounds to me like your symptoms are probably anxiety related. Depression and anxiety sometimes go hand in hand.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

When I read your post it's like I'm reading about myself, because I get all the symptoms you mentioned.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #4

froggirl HB User
Question Re: Anxiety Symptoms?

JB...thank you so much for that post. I identified with it so much! Especially the part about the out of control guilt. SOmetimes, I just feel guilty for no reason and can't even figure out why I feel the guilt. Or, if I make an honest mistake, I will feel extreme guilt over it, where anybody else would just feel a little bad. anyone else with this symptom????

Old 10-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I have it all. Auto pilot is me all the way. I call it the "fog"and I wish it would just go away. I don't have my panic attacks or anxiety attacks anymore but all I do all day is walk around in the fog. Hopefully my celexa will help with that. I get so worked up over not feeling right that I constantly think about when am I going to feel normal again!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
(male)

Icy HB User

I can completely agree with you on the 'feeling stuck in your head' feelings. At a lot of different times during the day I will think about just the exsistence of life and how we cannot really be here. Like how is it possible that *story changes on your views* can happen and we are here. It is just not comprehendable to the human mind and that just make me freak out inside my head. It's kind of funny as I sit here typing this I am getting the feeling like it just doesn't seem possible that we are all living and stuff but I figure the more I talk about it the better I will get.

Now to stop my rambling on I also experience some of the other things. All of those can really be anxiety. The only thing I want to say though is the auto-poilet thing is nothing to worry about. I believe it is just because you have done it so much it is a habit and doesn't take much time to think of what to do. Kind of like if you play sports at first you may not be very good and have to think a lot about what to do but after a while you really don't think much about it.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

You know, you've done a really good job putting into words some of my feelings that I have a hard time explaining. You said that was all you could think of right now....have you thought of anything else? I never realized how badly my anxiety is effecting my life until recently. That list of yours that I can totally relate to just reinforces that it really effects many aspects of my life. My husband always tells me that I make such a big deal about little things and always find stuff to worry about. Why can't I see it that way? I can't imagine what it would be like to not have every little thought clouded by anxiety.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
(male)

darrenschlack HB User

Hey, I can definitely relate. I can get easily startled as well. I never used to have that problem. It's also easy for me to get down and out. I'm very sensitive to guilt. My problem with driving (and sometimes when I'm in class) is like dissociation in a way. It's like my eyes can't focus. I go all bug-eyed when I'm trying to focus on multiple things, like the car ahead of me, my dashboard, a speck on the winshield, etc... I had a bad episode of this last night for 1 hour on the 405 freeway. I often have this reaction when I'm reading and trying to swallow all the information. And often it leads to a rush of adrenaline followed by dizziness. Does this sound familiar, in terms of your "Driving on auto pilot"?
Takle care,
Darren

Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
(female)

bek262 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anxiety Symptoms?

totally agree with how you described your symptoms - especially the auto pilot! sometimes I wonder if I have missed anything.

I get dizziness alot too - and this makes everything so much worse because me control is being taken away.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
(male)

LUVIZPAIN HB User

VERY GOOD POSTING! J2006 said it best for me. Even though i do relate to all of the posting. It just feels wierd and as if it will never go away. So you just think and think and think all day long ... "ok when is this gonna stop" And what really sucks, is that your mind has been straining for so long constantly, that when it does lighten up and you feel ok... "subconsiously" you freak yourself out cuz you not having the funny feelings.... so you still question, ok something isn't right here. lol This anxiety crap is the worse... cuz at times you just dont know what to do... but stay strong and hang in there... we have to.

Closed Thread