It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Went to Dentist, YEAH!!, and Throwing the Ativan away!!!

I took an Ativan an hour and half before my dentist appointment, and it never calmed me down once. I get to the dentist and had a major, and I mean major panic attack. My heart was skipping so bad that I almost went to the ER for heart problems. I think I could handle my panic attacks so much better if it didn't cause my heart to skip, because that scares me so much. Anyways, they didn't find anything wrong on the x-rays, so they did a panaramic x-ray and still found nothing. I am having major pain in my jaw, so he thinks I may need to see a neurologist for the nerve that runs along the jaw. He asked me if I have any tingling in my lip and I said a lot, and he said that sounds more neurological to him. I hope this is not going to be a repeat of last year, where it took them three months to find an abcessed tooth, because they all looked good on the x-rays. However, he said as of right now, they are all alive, responded to whatever test he did, and if there was one becoming abcessed, there is nothing he can do for it right now, until it actually does die, because there is no decay anywhere yet. AUGHHHH!! ANyways, throwing the Ativan away, it did absolutely, I mean absolutely nothing. I'm now going fully with the Xanax, starting tomorrow, taking it twice a day, and hoping on Monday when I see my Dr., she will prescribe me another month. If I start now, then it will give me an idea by Monday whether it is helping or not. If it doesn't help, then we go with her idea of Lexapro, if it helps, I'm sticking with it, with her or another Dr.
I'm glad I finally went, even though it's unresolved and now I'm left wondering... Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: Went to Dentist, YEAH!!, and Throwing the Ativan away!!!

Hi Michelle. I'm sorry you had that horrible experience, but glad you're done and you're feeling better. Too bad they couldn't figure out what was wrong with your tooth. I hope your doctor will give you the xanax since you know what works for you. Anyway - I was glad to see your message and glad to see you made it through that OK!

LeeAnn

Old 10-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

elsie3205 HB User

A beta blocker would help you much more than ativan. I use them to keep my heart from racing at doctor/dentist office.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I was wondering about the beta blocker too, so Monday I will ask her about having a beta blocker and Xanax. Do you only take the Beta Blocker when needed, or do you have to always be on it?
Now if I could just figure out what is causing my mouth pain. Of course I had to look up at tooth neurolgical disorders, and scared me. Typical. I was reading all sorts of things down to tumors in the brain that can cause fake pain in your teeth. Great. Sometimes I make myself crazy. I still have the 4cavities to get fixed, but am going to wait for my anxiety to calm down a tad before making that appointment. Although, I did make an appointment for a laser dentist in another town to see if he can fix the cavities with his laser without the needle and drills. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one. That would be sweet. He is the only one in our area that does it, I'm sure it is expensive, but maybe save me a lot of anxiety attacks. Knowing my luck he won't be able to do mine for some reason. Yes, I'm down on my luck today. My head hurts too, thanks girls for writing me - Michelle

Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Was TMJD mentioned to you? I know when my anxiety is at it's worst my tmj symptoms are 100 times as bad~just a thought..boxerlover

Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I knew you'd get through it! Sorry they had no answer for you. {REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-05-2006 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Don't copy and paste material from other sources as it maybe copyrighted. Ms_Mod

Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Ativan isn't of much use. If the Xanax doesn't work (and hopefully it will), ask your doctor if you can try Klonopin. It does wonders for me when I go to the dentist...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 10-05-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I wish there was an answer today, because I have really bad mouth pain, jaw pain and headache. I really don't want it to be a hidden abcess, like last year, and yet I really don't want it to be this "atypical trigeminal neuralgia" thing either. I can just see me going to a neurologist, haha. He did say it could possibly be my TMJ, but he honestly didn't think so.
I am really sick of my stupid heart problems. I can handle all of my panic symptoms, except the heart. It creates more panic, and then it's hard to get out of the cycle. I hate the racing and pvc's.
I'm sorry I'm being such a downer tonight, maybe tomorrow I will be more pleasant. Thanks everyone, for all your kind thoughts. Hugs - Michelle

Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

miche
I just wanted to say im sorry youre having such a ruff time and I hope it gets way better for you soon.Ativan was pretty much a joke with me too I mean it helped me relax somewhat but never would take the symptoms away like other meds.Try not to think the worst .....hang in there.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
(female)

elsie3205 HB User

I only take a beta blocker when I feel I might need one. Thats usually when going to the doctor or any kind of medical tests when my heart is most likely to race.
I have TMJ and I get horrible jaw pain, ear pain, and headaches.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
(female)

gamimetal HB User

I too use to get TMJ.
It must have been tension .
Since I have been taking lorazapam, I no longer have it

Old 10-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I also had, what I thought was TMJ, but found that I was just tense all the time and gritting my teeth. Not just during the day, but at night during sleep as well. I would catch myself grinding my teeth throughout the day and I would wake up with a headache and pain in my mandible(sp) muscles. Anyway, relaxation techniques such as meditation really help, but alos the Xanax should really help. If the Xanax is not helping then talk to your doctor about an increase in dosage or possibly just a large dose before sleep to keep you from clentching your jaw at night. I am taking 1.5 mg per day and it has not entirely eliminating the anxiety, but it has definitely helped, big time!!! Anyway, I wish you luck and, seriously, try to be conscious of when you are gritting your teeth. You may find a connection there.

Later

Closed Thread