It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

JB68711 HB User
What are some recommendations besides medication?

Hey everyone, I've become very hesistant about taking medication. Can someone tell me other things that help?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User
Re: What are some recommendations besides medication?

I am still tryin to figure that one out myself. Some of the things that they say help are massage therapy, meditation, yoga, relaxtion tapes. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
(male)

SteveGn HB User

JB, What type of issues are you having? Meditation and other relaxation methods are a good idea, as Jackkey mentioned, even if someone doesn't have anxiety or panic issues. Maybe Jonathan will give more details on the brain makeover. Meditation, yoga, etc.., are certainly key elements of a brain makeover from my own personal experiences and others as well.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

All these sugesstions are good I personaly never tried meditation or yoga but know some who have.The key for me is to keep myself busy with my daily duties,exercise,volunteer work etc. just anything I like that keeps me busy.
I do still have some anxiety at times I am not "cured" but I am certainly tons better and feel like I live "normally" now.This took time and alot of changing my negative thoughts to positive ones.Some take therapy and it helps them.I used to take the medications but the last time I stopped those I realized I was'nt ever gonna break the cycle by just covering it up.Now it was'nt easy to get to this point I had to suffer many attacks and just feeling lousey but I made myself keep getting out and keep busy.Anyway it has paid off for me.Good Luck whatever you try!
I wanted to add too that this forum has also been of help to me getting better thank you everyone!

Last edited by tnmomofive; 10-07-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Meditation was really helpful for me personally. I looked into buddhist meditation because it is all about training the mind. Anxiety coexists with other thoughts, fears, or phobias which can be controlled by training your mind to do so. It also serves as an incredible method of relaxation. I have learned to slow my breath so well that I can now slow my heart beat on command. As you can imagine that can be helpful.

Kava Kava is an herb that helps people with mild anxiety. I don't think it is strong enough for panic dissorder though from my expereience.

Keeping yourself busy as previously mentioned is huge. If you are feeling anxious about doing something, then that means you need to do it. Today I was really anxious about going fishing with some friends, but I forced myself to go and had a good time.

Excercise is also huge. The better you feel about yourself, the easier anxiety is to deal with. Excercise also changes the brain like antidepressants except the side effects are better health instead of more anxiety and panic.

I have found that Xanax takes the edge off for me and quite honestly even with the implementation of all of the above things there were still times when I would be floored with anxiety. Don't get me wrong, all of the above mentioned things help, but Xanax prevents me from being floored and I can breath a little easier knowing that.

Good luck all.

Closed Thread