It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

daisy25 HB User
Can anxiety make your breathing feel weird?

Hi I have been under alot of stress and anxiety lately and I have noticed my breathing feels weird. This keep happening day and night even when I am not having a panic attack and just when I am laying down or at home. Sometimes I feel like it is hard to breath like there is an elephant on my chest and my heart feels like it isn't beating but I know it is. Other times I feel like it is easier to not take a breath I feel like I am not taking normal breaths. It should be easy to breathe in and out but for me I don't feel like I am gasping for air or anything it just feels like I will breathe in and out and then forget to do it again. But I don't feel like I am going to pass out and it doesn't get to the point where I am suffocating or anything I just was wondering if I was subconsiously thinking about this too much and can anxiety change the way we breathe? How can I stop this and start breathing normal? I am constantly worried that I am going to forget to breathe and my heart is going to stop. But like I said this is happening all day and night even when I feel calm. Can our bodies still have the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety even when we aren't in the middle of a fight or having a panic attack? Also I keep getting these really sharp pains in my left breast and also in my neck and legs. But my doctor says it's all anxiety. I just am scaring myself and can't figure out how to breathe normal and get through this. Can anyone help me please? I am scared to go to bed at night.

The following user gives a hug of support to daisy25:
maddidancer (11-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to daisy25 For This Useful Post:
maddidancer (11-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

mrod HB User
Re: Can anxiety make your breathing feel weird?

Yes, it can. I had the very same problem with the breathing, left-sided pain and numbness. I had many test done in fear of a major health problem and it was anxiety the whole time. My Doctor knew it immediately, but ordered the tests mostly to pacify me!!! I take Xanax .50 mg in the morning and .25 mg at night and feel 100% better. I hope this helps you because I know how scared I was just a few months back.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

mrod HB User

I also take 400 mg of magnesium and fish oil-that may help as well.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
(female)

daisy25 HB User

Hi thanks for writing me back, I have 1mg tablets of ativan that I take sometimes but I always try not to because my heart isn't racing so I don't feel like I need to be calmed down. Will it help anyway do you think? I feel like it's so easy to just not take a breath. I also think I am a hypochondriac so all of this combined isn't helping. So you think this will eventually go away? Should I just keep trying to take deep breaths? I feel like night time is the worst for me because I feel like I am going to stop breathing or my heart is going to stop. But I am 25 years old and they just did a test for a pulmonary embolism yesterday and that came back normal. So do you also think it's part of the anxiety to feel this way even when I am laying down and in a calm state or at least I think I am calm. I am just really nervous about this whole breathing thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to daisy25 For This Useful Post:
maddidancer (11-16-2011)
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

mrod HB User

Yes, I think this is completely anxiety related. Your heart does not have to be racing to feel anxious. I feel that you should take your medicine on a regular basis or ask about Xanax. I only take a total of .75 mg per day and feel great now. I really think you just need to have it in your system to work. Once you fall asleep, do you wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe? Or is it just when you think about it? I took was crazy with fear about being unable to take full breaths-I had many test done and all were normal.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Took 10 years to finally be properly diagnosed with "hidden hyperventilation". I was hyperventilating but did not know I was and no one else was aware of it.

Sometimes our breathing can get off track for unknown reasons.

When we hyperventilate we blow off too much carbon dioxide and the red carpusles do not have a balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide (Co2) in order to release oxygen to the vital organs (heart, lungs, brain).

I too felt like I had to make myself breathe and finally reached the point I could take 3 steps and stall out with no message for any part of me to move for a little bit, then take 3 more steps and same thing. It finally caused my bloodpressure to spite to stroke territory just walking a few steps.

Doctor told me to rebreathe in paper sack 5 minutes every hour for 3 months then taper off. Rebreathing in paper sack helps to balance the oxgen/carbon dioxide.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
(female)

mrod HB User

This is true-hyperventilation syndrome can result from anxiety. One the underlying cause is treated the symptoms gradually go away.

Closed Thread