It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

pushit HB User
Benzodiazepines and driving

For those of you who take benzodiazepines daily or regularly, do you drive while on them? Do you think it's safe to do this if they calm your anxiety but don't overly sedate you?

Last edited by pushit; 10-07-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Re: Benzodiazepines and driving

I have no problems taking xanax and driving.. I would see how your body reacts to the xanax first. If you have no sadation problems then sure, why not! I find xanax very useful for some of my driving phobia's.. Just my opinion..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

When you first start taking it you will feel a little buzz and drowsy, but once you have been taking it for a few days the physical effects essentially go away. I would be cautious when driving during the first few days and your body will tell you whether you are OK to drive or not, but in a couple days you should have no problems at all.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I also drive while taking xanax. I take 0.25 4x day. It's not such a large dose that it sedates me so I find I can all of my daily activities just like before except without anxiety or panic! Of course everyone differs so you'll want to see how you do as far as sleepiness before driving.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

I also drive while on xanax.. 1mg x 4 times a day... when i first started taking it i was a little to out of it to be driving ( i knew this the first day i took one it wasnt a good idea to drive)... but after about a week the groggy effect wore off and it just stopped my anxiety... just use good judgement and you will be fine..

Old 10-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

You can drive on them, IMHO, with the following caveats: if you're just starting a new med or upping your dose, see how it affects you first. If you're taking very large doses of benzos (most people I've seen on this board aren't) even if you're used to them, your reflexes are slowed so you need to either not drive or be extra cautious. I am currently switching benzos and I'm on a moderate dose and I don't feel that I can drive as safely as I'd like (I feel a bit too woozy). We'll see what happens in a few more days. Most people I know on small to moderate doses of benzos are usually able to drive, though.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i believe it is an individual thing. ihave taken klonopin for years and have never had a problem driving or functioning in any way. i am so anxious at times that it doesn't even calm me and has never put me to sleep. when i take one in the morning and one at night it takes 2-4 weeks for me to be really tired in the morning and then i cut that one out.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

I take .25mg xanax once or twice a day and I have never had any problems driving. Like everyone else said, it depends on YOUR dose and how it affects YOU. It will be a judgement call for you. If you feel OK to drive, then you should be OK to drive.

Closed Thread