It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

Nades HB User
Question Who gets anxiety when they relax?

Why would our bodies go into a total flat spin when we are relaxing? I get so confused with that. Not that I am not confused most of the time being anxious and all. I find that so hard to understand. I may have a panic attack 3 days later after an event. I always get a metalic taste in my mouth
That is so grim. Please let me know how I can try and prevent this happening.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

MrsPM HB User
Re: Who gets anxiety when they relax?

This happens to me too and I don't understand it either. Sometimes when I'm too relaxed (from being overtired or whatever) I begin to panic thinking is it really normal to feel this way? I'm afraid I'm going to fall asleep, like a narcoleptic, or pass out. It's weird.

My anxiety has made a comeback in full blast. I've been under a lot of stress lately. I start a new job in a week and a half, which I am very, very happy about, but it's causing me anxiety. Any type of change, good or bad, triggers my anxiety. I can't stand it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

That is typical of anxiety dissorder. As soon as you have a chance to sit down your brain has a chance to obsess and away you go. The only way to fight that is to keep yourself busy. Reading works really well. Find a good book and on your down time, sit and read.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I used to suffer from anxiety. I never took meds. In my opinion always keeping busy doesn't teach yourself that you can relax. I think of really anxious people as being this tightly rolled coil and if it relaxes it will spring apart so the anxious person is constantly trying to keep it tightly together.

Last edited by Sannah; 10-29-2006 at 06:50 AM.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
(female)

shaunsgrl HB User

This is how I am. If I'm cooking, I feel like I'm going to pass out. If I'm eating, I'm having heart palpitations and chest pains. Reading to my son is a chore...anything that most people enjoy is pure hell for me. I can't sit and watch television. I can't relax in my bed. All of these are prime times for me to have a really bad attack. Reading is the only thing that helps me. I hate to be alone, but if my fiance is in the room, and I'm reading, that's the only time it doesn't happen. Do you have a fear of being anywhere alone? I know a lot of people don't like to go out of their houses when they have anxiety, but I'm the complete opposite. I need to be around people to feel sane, but at the same time, I find it annoying because I automatically go back to talking about my anxiety.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
(female)

cecropia HB User

Hi,
I think once you've had panic or severe anxiety like you are talking about it's with you for life. I used to think I could get better and never look back, and it has gone away for the most without meds 3yrs. I don't know why it's such a shock to me when it comes back; however, I do think I'm finally over that. I know it's something I have to deal with the rest of my days.

At first when my anxiety returns and is at it's all time high I too hate cooking, cleaning, watching tv, gardening, trying to rest or sleep, almost anything that I love seems painful during this time if I try to keep doing it as if nothing is wrong. For me, I can't relax long enough to concentrate on anything. I feel like all my wires are short circuiting.

I have also accepted the fact that I need medication and I no longer try to get better without it.

Here are some things that help me at first. I play solitaire with a regular deck of cards, not on a computer, something about shuffling the deck and hand placing the cards relaxes me. I do use my computer to play scrabble with maven, I have to concentrate on making my words and it usually kills an hour before bedtime if I don't feel like reading. I too read, but only before bedtime. My grandmother who died at 97, bought me a collection of books, (through the bible with Vernon McGee). They are so thick it will take me many years to finish them all. I also buy a picture puzzle around 300 pieces or more and work on that. I place it on a board that I can move around, put under the bed when I'm not working on it. I have found if I can get my mind off my anxiety thoughts for even an hour here and there throughout the day that it starts the healing process by allowing the brain to relax for a time from the anxiety. Try to make your fun time something that doesn't have a time limit on it or you will get anxious about that.

Exercise, diet and meditation also help, but I do these things already, and my anxiety still breaks through, so that's another reason I believe, for me anyway, medication needs to be a part of my recovery.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

Nades HB User

Hi I know the feeling of wanting to be on your own in the middle of a panic attack and at the same time you need someone there. I have comfort knowing that there are people in the house and if something is going to go wrong then at least there is someone about. I have had panic attacks for 3 years and so far I have had no emergencies. It all seems pretty normal to me. Good luck and try not to focus on how you feel at the time it makes it worse. Put yourself in another place if you can.

Closed Thread