It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User
Question Help!! Can Buspar cause these weird feelings?

I am end ends wit, I just started taking buspar 2 weeks ago, it seems now when I have upped my dose to 15 mg a day, just yesterday, my symptoms of anxiety have gotten worse. I get these weird buzzing, cold sensations, and my face is tickly all over. Is this weird or what? I am about ready to have myself checked into the hospital. These are the strangest sensations. I had these before the buspar, and took a xanax and it would calm alot of this down. Has anyone experienced these strange sensations with anxiety or buspar? Please let me know. I am starting to think that its something worse than anxiety!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Re: Help!! Can Buspar cause these weird feelings?

Buspar made me feel very strange at first- it's hard to even describe, but increased anxiety was definately a part of it. I have been told by my doc that Buspar takes a long time to "do it's thing"-- a couple of months.
My doc had me up to 30 mgm per day, 15 mgm 2 x day. But what I am now doing is breakihem in half & taking 7.5 mgm 3-4 x day. Doing this I feel much less weird when I take it. Check with your doc- maybe you can break it down to 5 mgm 3 x day.

anxiousinnj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

anxiousinnj, thanks for the reply. Did you ever feel these feelings with your anxiety? If I could find out why my legs are buzzing, I'd feel much better. But I definently think the buspar has made it worse.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

Hi - I took Buspar about 10 years ago and had a terrible, weird reaction to it.
On the drug information page, the makers of Buspar gave a phone number to call, which I called. It was a strange recorded message telling anyone who called to please be very patient and not to give up on Buspar. I kept trying it, but the weird, anxious feelings didn't go away. I have known some who like Buspar but more who have had bad reactions to it. Perhaps you should ask your doctor if it's okay to stop taking it for a while to see if that's what is causing your odd sensations. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
(male)

keatis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny R.
I am end ends wit, I just started taking buspar 2 weeks ago, it seems now when I have upped my dose to 15 mg a day, just yesterday, my symptoms of anxiety have gotten worse. I get these weird buzzing, cold sensations, and my face is tickly all over. Is this weird or what? I am about ready to have myself checked into the hospital. These are the strangest sensations. I had these before the buspar, and took a xanax and it would calm alot of this down. Has anyone experienced these strange sensations with anxiety or buspar? Please let me know. I am starting to think that its something worse than anxiety!!!!!
Yup I was on it just a couple months ago and it made me more anxious and I got these little numbing/shocking feelings all over my body. I can't believe it's still being used.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Out of all of the non-benzo's it was the only medication I could tolerate although there were strange sensations for sure. I would suggest you get back on the Xanax which you said was working for you. Consider it a long term commitment though. Xanax is tough to witdraw from, so make sure when you decide, if you decide to stop taking it that you do it very slowly over a long period of time. It can really cause some serious side effects when you stop taking it, but while taking it, for me, it virtually has no side effects.
Take care.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

ocdengineer, what is the recommended dosage for the xanax, I was only taking a 1/2 of a .25 mg tablet, although the script said to take 3 tablets a day, they make me very tired, and I have a hard time functioning. I'm scared to get addicted to these. Can anxiety really cause these strange feelings? I had these feelings before the buspar that is why I was taking it, now they are worse. Do you think if the xanax alleviates alot of these feelings, then it would be safe to say its anxiety? I worry everyday about somekind of neurological thing going on, like MS, Lyme or god knows what else!!!! Thank you!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Oh yea, anxiety can cause any feeling you can dream up in your mind. I was an extreme hypochondriac. Constantly worried about ulcers, hypoglycemia, Schizophrenia. You name it, I had it. Xanax is the only drug that I have found that has helped with this and the panic I was experiencing daily. Honestly, I started taking .25 mg 3x daily and am now up to 2 mg per day, so here is what to expect as I understand it.

When you first start taking it regularly, you will find that for the first few days you will be tired and kind of lethargic, but anxiety free. As you take it regularly the drowsiness wears off and you will find that you don't even realize you are taking it. Now, if you take it as needed, you will probably feel drowsy every time you take it. I was a huge mediphobe. In fact, I used to have panic attacks from over the counter drugs like Asprin or Tylenol. It was ridiculous. Anyway, the first pill was hard for me to take, but about 15 minutes later I was glad that I took it.

The Xanax blocks GABA receptors in your brain which has a calming effect on the nervous system. When you first take it, your brain is not used to the change in GABA in your brain. Also, you will find that your liver doesn't have the enzymes to break it down efficiently. The amount of this effect is different for everyone. So, you may find that initially, you will have to take more Xanax to ge tthe same effect. Your brain will produce less GABA and your liver will produce more enzymes in your liver to break down the Xanax decreasing the amount getting into your blood where it needs to be. As this occurs you will need to take more. The good news is that this cycle will end and you will reach a point where you have found the optimal amount of Xanax and no more will be needed. This is how it was explained to me and how I have watched it work for me.

I think the Xanax will stop the majority of your symptoms. It has not helped me with thought intrusions, but has quelched the anxiety big time. I meditate and practice relaxation techniqes to work on the rest and I live a fairly normal and full life. Now, I have only been on Xanax for 3 months. Others on this board have taken it for years and I think if you plan on taking this drug, then you should seriously decided whether you are willing to take this medication long term and find a doctor who will support you. If you decide to quit, the opposite of what happens in the beginning will happen. it takes time for your brain to start creating more GABA and it also takes awhile for your liver to alter the amount of enzymes, so the withdrawl can be horrible if you stop abruptly. If you taper off over a long period of time the withdrawl can be minimal, but you may start experiencing the same anxiety that you have now.

I am an advocate for Xanax simply because it works so well for me. I am not impressed with Xanax XR, because it doesn't last much longer than the regular Xanax. You will probably find that a lot of doctors are hesitant to prescribe this because it has a street value unlike many other anxiety dissorder drugs. You will need to find a doctor who knows how well this stuff works and will work with you to find the optimal dose.

Also, understand that no matter what you take for anxiety dissorder, you will have to deal with withdrawl if you quit, so you need to decide if you are willing to stay on the drug long term or not. I personally had enough anxiety and panic, that it was a no brainer for me. I would much rather take a drug until the end of my days if can help me live a more full and happier life and thus far it is working for me. I will, of course, keep you and everyone updated with my future results, but as of now, Xanax has worked wonders for me!!!

I hope this helps.

Last edited by ocdengineer; 11-04-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Maybe you raised it too quick? Raise it up SLOWLY. I took Buspar for about two years . I remember at the beginning it was weird so I raise it very slowly-it worked. It is a safer med than the others and it was easy to get off of it if this helps.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

Thanks to you all who have replied, it is very helpful!! I did not take my buspar this morning, and it seems that I am not as bad with all those strange feelings. I hope to talk to my doc tomorrow about the next step. Maybe I need psychotherapy, lol, I just wish I knew why I have these strange feelings 24/7!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

No worries, Jenny. These strange feelings can and will go away, just work with yoru doctor and do some reading about anxiety dissorders so when you go talk to him next you can make a case. I actually told my doctor what I wanted to do and he agreed after he had heard my story. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread