It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

keatis HB User
My doctor told me Klonopin is the strongest benzo out there....

I knew it was one of the strongest. Does anybody else's doctor say it's Klonopin?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User
Re: My doctor told me Klonopin is the strongest benzo out there....

I don't know about strongest. That may be true, but that doesn't equate to most effective. Read some of the posts on Xanax. That seems to be the anxiety drug of choice on this forumn. I think it is a wonder drug honestly with very few side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

Klonopin is not specifically for anxiety or panic disorder and causes many more side effects than xanax. I felt like a zombie when on it and couldn't function.

Good luck!
Tori

Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I can only speak from my own experiances.I do not know weather or not klonopin is the strongest but I do know I took it twice a day for two years and it worked major wonders for me.I was in a bad bad anxiety funk for months ten minutes after taking the first klonopin pill I felt at total ease.I was fatigued at times from klonopin though.I took Ativan did'nt do much at all for me.I have never taken Xanax or any others so I don't know about those.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

keatis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttygirl
I felt like a zombie when on it and couldn't function.
Tori
That's why I like it, it's more sedating and it DOES help anxiety more than Xanax, I've taken the maximum dose of Xanax and it does come close but not quite as strong. I take 4mgs of Klonopin a day and that's a lot according to the different psychiatrists I've seen and it's still not enough for me, I WANT 8 OR EVEN 10 MGS A DAY AND NO PSYCHIATRIST WILL LISTEN TO ME ARRRGH!!! I gotta nursing drug handbook I read up on about different prescriptions and the maximum dose of Klonopin you can take (if you're manic) is 16mgs!!....DAMN I'd kill to have that much a day. That's how bad my social anxiety disorder is.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

metoo22 HB User

Klonopin just has a longer half life (8hrs) rather than 4hrs like in xanax, and ativan. I was on Klonopin for a year and i really did not like it. It made me act more negative. It's weird. Now i'm on xanax (low dose) for GAD and PMDD.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Klonopin is the strongest benzo when you look at it on a mg to mg basis.

.25mg of Klonopin=.5mg Xanax
.25mg of Klonopin=1mg of Ativan
.25mg of Klonopin=5mg of Valium

Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

metoo22 HB User

Ok, so it has nothing to do with the half life?

Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
(male)

keatis HB User

Pardon me for being stupid, but what do you mean by "half life"?

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-01-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

metoo22 HB User

Hi there,
A medication's half-life "is the time it takes for the plasma concentration of a drug to reach half of its original concentration at time zero". More simply put, the half-life of a drug is how long it takes for half of it to be eliminated from the bloodstream. I hope that helps.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
(male)

keatis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo22
Hi there,
A medication's half-life "is the time it takes for the plasma concentration of a drug to reach half of its original concentration at time zero". More simply put, the half-life of a drug is how long it takes for half of it to be eliminated from the bloodstream. I hope that helps.
It does thanx, sorry my ADD keeps me from learning even the most obvious things out there, I just feel so depressed and anxious (and stupid). I'm only 23 and on all these meds and I just don't think I can make it through life. {REMOVED}it literally took me till I turned 20 till I had a gf. I feel so depressed and jealous/angry that my gf went to proms and dances and all that. I know it's in the past but I just can't forget about it.

P.S. Sorry I was being way off topic there.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-01-2006 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Read the posting rules as to why part of your post was removed. Ms_Mod

Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Don't be so tough on yourself man! You are not dumb for not knowing the half life of a medication. We are a bunch of over-obsessed people. We have been reading every damn book with in arms distance to try to find some illusive cure to our disease. No worries man. And 20 isn't that bad for first girlfriend.

You sound awfully depressed, bud. I think you should consider seeing a therapist where you can vent all of this pent up frustration.

Good luck, and seriously, stop beating yourself up!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
(female)

metoo22 HB User

You are 20, i am 34 and it takes time to get experiences. Do not be so hard on yourself, that can cause alot of depression. I would write all the great things in toyr life and focus on them! I did and it helps. However i still have my down times (thats human) but i really agree with OCD, talking with a therapist did wonders for me. I know the number one thing for me to do is to breathe and try nd meditate, no matter if it is just looking at a plant. I learn new things everyday. I have done alot of research on anxiety (even though i am having a hard time finding the right dr.) i know what i need, i would be more then happy to talk you through some issues if you want. I am not sure if i was suppose to offer that. lol i just know you are down, and it does not feel good.
Please feel better

Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
(male)

keatis HB User

Thank you, oh and I'm actually gonna be 23 next month - not that that's a big age difference. Yeah and I have done a lot of research on anxiety too, as well as bipolar, depression, anger, and ADD/ADHD and you're right it's hard as hell to find the right dr.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-02-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
(female)

metoo22 HB User

I feel your frustration, it should not be so hard to find a dr. It actually gives me more anxiety and a little depression cause i feel alone, like there isn't a dr out there that wants to help me. I have read so many books and from what one dr said, i do know i have GAD and i have to live with this the rest of my life. I don't want to get on any type of anti depression, i just need a calming medication, but like most dr's say that the benzos are addicting. And you know what? i would rather take that the rest of my life then to deal with this horriable anxiety. Why can't they just understand??? I feel so down today from striking out on finding a dr. They all want to have me come in, in like 2-3 months! What a joke, i guess if i get a real bad attack i would have to go to the ER $$$$. grrrr i just want a dr i can confide in and they will listen and not push anti depressants on me. They don't work for me. And i am not depressed. geeeze. I am so lost. {REMOVED} i would like to help eachother in anyway. take care

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-02-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread