It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

isalu HB User
Dizziness and Health Anxiety

Does anyone feel like the floor is shifting when they walk? A cross between dizzy and lightheaded? Always there...like maybe you are going to lose your balance, but you don't? Is this really anxiety? Tests for EVERYTHING else came back normal when this started a year and a half ago....what is going on...it's driving me crazy. I am wondering if the more I am fixated on it, the more it is happening? Why can't I just put it out of my mind? It's the first thing I think about in the AM and the last thing before I close my eyes.....

The following user gives a hug of support to isalu:
cocopuff (03-16-2011)
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #2

Zeethan HB User
Re: Dizziness and Health Anxiety

A year or two ago, I would have the sensation that either my vehicle or the vehicle next to me was moving, when we were actually at a red light. I'd stomp on the brake harder. I climbed some high jungle gym equipment recently and ewwww. Have you had your ears checked out? For an inner ear/ equilibrium problem maybe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
(female)

molly666 HB User

Hi i can relate to you entirely. The main symptom that i have with my anxiety is what you describe. You feel like your heads thick and foggy and you feel like your going off balance ,unsteady and it freaks you out cos its pretty scary. Ive had tests done for thyriod, had tabs for dizziness and they havent made any difference what so ever. If im out walking alone i start to feel like im going over to one side and then that starts the panic off because you feel like your not in control of your body.I rarely go out by myself cos it freaks me out to much even tho i say to myself you,ll be ok it never makes any difference to me i still feel horrible. Anyway just thought after reading your post that i would let you no your not alone in this

Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
(female)

Debtone HB User

Yes I had the same and it was awful, I heard that it was pure tension in the body making us feel unbalanced and dizzy so I took up Yoga, I did it at home 3 times a week and within a few months I felt loads different.

I still suffer with anxiety but my body feels balanced and I can stand in a queue or walk down the street without feeling so off balance and dizzy.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi Isalu
I am a dizzy suffer as well.. Here is a post I wrote not to long ago on this very subject... I hope you find it helpful! Boxerlover

Here is what it is like for myself, I get a floating feeling, intense Falling to the side & backwards sensation, sinking to the ground feeling, a motion sensation as if I am swaying on a boat, and my favorite the good old dropping feeling you get on an elevator.. The "elevator sensation" I also feel like my head is very heavy foggy and swimmy and some days just have trouble holding it up! All these sensations I experience on a daily basis mostly 24/7 The only time I don't feel this way is if I am laying down, it seems to subside then. I have gotten many eye rolls from the Doctor's I have seen in the past.. As if these feelings were being made up in my head.. These daily sensations have caused me more anxiety and intense panic attacks.. It seems as soon as I experience any one of these sensations my panic attacks kick in full force..
OKAY so now the big question we all ask "can anxiety really make me feel dizzy" The ANSWER is yes, Doctors have known for many years that psychological disorders, such as anxiety, can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. This type of dizziness was given the nonspecific name of psychogenic dizziness. Here is what I have learned through my years of struggles with anxiety related dizziness, and believe me I research and research and ask my therapist to explain it over and over again..
What disorders are associated with psychogenic dizziness a question all of us on this board commonly ask, well the truth is Several studies point to a specific set of disorders that can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. All these disorders are in the anxiety disorder family and include panic attacks, certain phobias, and chronic anxiety disorders.
What symptoms are the symptoms? How does your dizziness feel? Another question we all ask on this board, the answer is Psychogenic dizziness will present with a variety of symptoms including lightheadedness, feeling heavy headed, feeling a pressure sensation in the head, feeling far away or detached from the environment, feeling like they are going to fall, and sometimes even the feeling as if you are going to faint.
Can something else be causing my dizziness? Another question that floats around here as well. And the answer is yes, inner ear disorders are the most common reasons for dizziness, In fact inner ear problems that have completely resolved but the symptoms still persist, despite the resolution of the inner ear disorder can happen. In this case I was told and found VERY interesting is that it appears the inner ear disorder triggered an anxiety, panic, or phobic state. In this situation, the psychological disorder perpetuates the dizziness, despite the fact that the underlying inner ear disorder has resolved. How interesting is that!!! I couldn't believe that when I was told by my Doctor.
Well I never had a ear infection or disorder, so what else could it be? Another question that goes through our minds.. The answer is there are several physical disorders that can present with symptoms similar to those experienced with psychogenic dizziness. Some of these conditions included anemia, thyroid disorders, neurological disorders, cardiovascular disorders, hormonal disorders.. Just to name a few. But keep in mind these disorders present many other serious symptoms and NOT JUST dizziness. So you see my anxious friends, We all know we are on this board because we suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder, But we tend to question the symptoms of our anxiety. And question whether or not our dizziness can really be just related to our disorder. And now you see that it in fact can!!!! Anxiety Disorder can come out in us in so many ways not just dizziness, and I think it should be know that the mind is a powerful weapon and sometimes when we suffer from this condition we tend too become so sensitive to what we feel .... I know that's how it is for myself!! I hope many of you can relate to my post as well as find comfort in knowing IF YOU are one of the Psychogenic dizzy suffers you are in fact Not by any means alone!!! Remember finding comfort in others who are feeling as you is the best medicine in the world!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to boxerlover227:
tweezer (10-29-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to boxerlover227 For This Useful Post:
MaryA (02-09-2011)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Count me in! I find that the less I concentrate on it, the less I feel that way. I had a really mean doctor yell at me one time and said "well, do you ever fall?" The answer was no. And even though she was being mean, she made some sense. She said to stop worrying about it so much since I never did fall or anything. When I feel the sensations (leaning, falling, etc) I just try to let them pass rather than focusing on them and trying to correct it. It is horrible that so many of us have to feel this way!

Old 11-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
(male)

longbow HB User

These exact symptoms are the reason I found this discussion forum. I feel exactly as you describe and the only thing I can narrow it down to is anxiety. It started when I was moving and starting a new job, and has not stopped. It is very comforting to know that I am not alone, even though it is unfortunate others are going through this.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
(male)

longbow HB User

I forgot to ask, but does anyone have a sore/stiff neck with these symptoms?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
(female)

isalu HB User

Thanks for all the replies everyone...I am sorry to hear there are so many of us out there...but a little relieved it's not just me. Has anyone had any success overcoming this? If so, how - other than meds, which I am very hesitent to take. Does anyone have some good days? If so how many in a row? Does anyone else "think" this is something much more serious, even though testing has ruled everything out -but you can't stop thinking it's somerthing more? I wish this would pass, but it's going on over 1.5 years. Hope everyone is having a better, rather than worse day.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

isalu HB User

longbow - forgot to reply to your question...no stiffness in the neck for me. Maybe you have something going on in your neck contributing to the anxiety???

Old 11-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Yup I have a sore stiff neck, and headaches (tension headaches) everyday!
I also have TMJ and all my trigger points are sore...
I sometimes think it is related to the tmj or inner ear related..
Somedays are better then others, but my symptoms are always there.. 24/7
boxerlover

Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
(female)

bek262 HB User
Question Re: Dizziness and Health Anxiety

Hey boxerlover,
could some of us have orthostatic intollerance? It is what Greg from the Wiggles has just been diagnosed with and the symptoms are so similar!!! Do a web search and check it out and let me know what you think

Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
(female)

qingche HB User

Count me in! I have been having anxiety/panic disorder related dizziness for 6 months. My first panic attack was on an airplane, then I was dizzy for 2 months and was diagnosed "vestibular disorder". Has something to do with the inner ear. I went through occupational theorapy for 2 months and it got much better. But again a month ago I suffered a intense panic attack in the subway, and that triggered severe dizziness till now. I am on Lexapro now---my fifth day, and it has made me SOOOO dizzy! Apart from the sore, chill and stiffness in the back/neck, the night sweat, the nausious feeling, the upset stomach, what really bothers me now is the dizziness. I don't know if I should stop taking Lexapro, although I have heard that you can't just get off it once you start... I have started seeing an acupuncturist. I hope that will help...

Old 12-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
(female)

Jsbutrfli HB User

I've fairly new to all this dizzy stuff, but not to the anxiety or headaches. I've suffered panic attacks and anxiety for a while now. I'm always thinking something is just horrifically wrong! But, the last week I've started with the dizzy feeling. Just as boxerlover has described! We've been talking over on the headaches board (it's under the thread chronic tension headaches - very useful information). I've had a lot of stiffness/soreness in my neck lately. I'm thinking that's what's causing some of my dizzy feelings. I went to the doctor this morning and he seems to think it's sinus related. I don't. But, he said call next week if it was no better. We shall see.
It's very comforting to know I'm not alone! I just would like to know though - if anyone has successfully gotten over all this - how did they do it? Maybe someone will be able to tell us at some point b/c I sure would like to know!
Take care!
Becky

Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi im new to the board and i too suffer from aniety and panic attacks along with agraphobia jan 2006 i had a ovary and tube removed and 2 weeks later i ened up having a bad panic attack i called 911 cause i got scared well after that i went to my gp cause my gyn who done my surgery wanted to dismiss me as fast as he could cause i was so terrifed .well my gp put me on xanax 1 mg 3 times a day and i sure did need them sure i slept but i was a total mess my body had went into shock after surgery well then after awhile i started feeling ok again i was cleaning and going places oh forgot to say for the first 5 mos i wouldnt leave and i was scared to death to be left home alone then in may i went to walmart and 5 mins after going in i had a very bad panic attack my b/p went up to 206/112 heartrate was 160 couldnt breath was crying for over a hr my face was beat red and the emt's couldnt get a pause on me i couldnt walk so they wheeled me out that was the worst day ever i also allmost passed out ,then i went to my dr he put me on effexor xr 75 mg they did ok for like 5 mos then i started sleeping 24/7 had no energy my hair was coming out i was waking up through the night and couldnt fall back to sleep was very depressed couldnt leave my house still cant unless my hubby takes me and still somewhat depressed well i went back to my gp and while standing at the front desk i passedout on the floor he did nothing just said it was my high aniety after that i kept passing out all the time still do at times i switched drs because he wouldnt run any test on me he sent me to a psychiatrist and thats who found out i had high thyriod it was 8.45 i get retested today im on the 25 mg of meds and i also go see a nerology tomorrow canuse it could be inner ear infection as i have had to have my ears cleaned out several times over the yrs .so im hoping they find out whats causeing me to passout im not uncouses im awake but it scares me when i fall and since sept i been doing it quite alot .
vickie45

Closed Thread