It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
(male)

hamiltonkrewe HB User
Looking for New Doctor...Any Advice??

Anyone have tips to finding a good new Psychiatrist?

Finding a new Psychiatrist in a new town Im finding can be not only be difficult but a very expensive lesson on how the less fortunate are treated. Seems borderline unethical.

I posted before I haven't worked in a year and a half due to agoraphobia from a long time panic disorder. I was functioning for years on 3mg of Xanax. After I stopped working a number of things have happened causing possibly a breakdown, the death of my mother, moving from Florida to Illinois, car repairs, credit card bills, no income and panic attacks so bad I cant shop at a simple grocery store and sometimes not drive or even leave the house.

I knew with the increase in panic I needed a new doctor and soon. There is a free mental health clinic in town. And with no income knew I would qualify. Unfortunately to see a doctor there is a 6-month waiting period. I have been able to see a counselor there though.

My wife is a licensed practical geriatric nurse who has been waiting for her license to be transferred from Florida to Illinois. So she too has no income. Once she gets it she should be very marketable in the area and Im sure will get good health benefits. We never signed up for any type of government assistance because we never new it would take this long for her license.

I really needed a medication adjustment to function. When I first was prescribed Xanax I began working that same week after being mostly unemployed for 4 years prior. I looked in the phone book and chose a place that was named like a large practice. Later I found out it was actually just a Psychiatrist and a nurse practitioner in a storefront. The first appointment was $275. And appointments after that for medication management was $90.

I filled out all the required paperwork. It clearly said I had no employer or insurance. I had an appointment with the nurse practioner. She asked me the usual questions and knew my income status I heard good things about Xanax XR and if I could take that. She said yes then scheduled me another appointment in a month and I paid $275 for that days visit

So today was the appointment. It was with the doctor. The Xanax XR was not working as well as I was hoping. I thought with my history I could try a new benzo while being weaned off the Xanax.

He started the conversation after a greeting with How do you plan on paying for this? I told him by charge card. He told me to be a patient of his you need either health insurance or verified employment. His advice was to demand to see a doctor at the clinic. When I told him it would take 6 months to see a doctor there he said. Since I see a counselor it should take a month or so or I can go there and wait for a cancellation. He told me by charging this is only digging a hole for myself I wont get out of. He spoke like he was doing me a favor. He said he would refill my prescription until I see the doctor at the clinic. The appointment was about 3 minutes long he gave me no medical advice but still charged me $90. For the visit that I paid! I paid this guy a total of $365. To tell my life story, some advice of dont use credit cards then basically a kick in the pants saying never come back.

I've never been so upset at a doctor in my life. Its not like I was behind and owed him money. If I didn't meet his qualifications I should have been told that before I paid him a dime.

I see the counselor tomorrow and will find out when I can see a doctor. If not I go to another one from the phone book and pay their almost $300 first time visit fee.

We have money. From the proceeds of the sale of our Florida home, my mother also left me a small inheritance. Both are in CDs that we will buy a new home with when we become employed here if we decide to stay in this city. I only used the charge card because I thought a medication adjustment would quickly get me working as it did in the past. This doctor made me feel like such a loser. I feel He is a disgrace to his profession.

Anyone have any ideas or stories to find a good caring doctor, In it for more then the money?

Thanks Dave.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread