It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

rachel1982 HB User
Question Feeling of a lump in the throat related to anxiety?

Hello again everyone. Another hypochondriac here!

This morning I woke up with a feeling like I had a lump in my throat. It doesn't hurt and I can't feel anything on the outside. It's the feeling you get when you swallow something (like a dorito) and it gets stuck for a second or two until you swallow it down, just a general awareness of something there. Only this has lasted since I've woken up this morning. I called my doc because as usual, I sent myself into an internet panic over it (thyroid cancer, throat cancer, I stopped there). I am just getting over a sinus infection but I don't see how that would be related. Anyway, my doc told me not to be concerned about it and we will check it out on Friday when I have my physical (Oh, I am just SO stoked about that visit - ) She also mentioned it could all just be a part of the anxiety but it is bothersome and I'm really freaked about it. Oh, and she said that cancer wouldn't come on that agressively. Not much reassurance to a hypochondriac, as well all know too well!

It seems like everytime I get over (or accept) one symptom, I get another. It almost feels like some weird karmic game.. like, "Let's make Rachel miserable for the rest of her life because it's just so funny to watch her panic!" I hate this. I just want to be better. Now I get to wait in fear for my physical.. grrr...

Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
(female)

cecropia HB User
Re: Feeling of a lump in the throat related to anxiety?

Hi Rachel,
I have just finished a bout of the lump in the throat syndrome. Anxiety can cause it, but it could also be something you ate that didn't settle well like an acid type food. Also, sinus can cause the feeling because you tend to swallow a lot more than usual when your sinus are draining and this makes the esophagus more apt to have spasms that feel like a lump stuck.

I was diagnosed with esophagus spasms the first time back in my late 20's. My doctor at that time put me on a muscle relaxer but I only took it for a couple of days. Once I knew what was wrong it went away and has not really bothered me that much.

Here are some things that can help. Try chewing some tums in case it is acid indigestion. Also a warm liquid like tea helps soothe the feeling. I also take a tylenol to relax the musle in my throat at bedtime when it is acting up. Also I remember my doctor saying to try very hard not to swallow so much like trying to move it out of the way, it will only make it more agitated because there is really nothing there to move out of the way. Try not to worry it won't kill you. It's been 25years since I was first told that I had this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

bratforlife HB User
Re: Feeling of a lump in the throat related to anxiety?

Rachel,
You are right about the symptoms, it seems like once you get one and get over it another one comes along.. I was eating dinner one night and all of a sudden felt like I couldn't swallow and it threw me into a instant panic attack, had to go to the restaurants bathroom and calm myself down.. Then for the next month or so it kept happening all the time and I realized okay you are making this happen cause I was dwelling on it... It is true if it isn't one thing it is something else and we just have to deal with it....Hang in there I have been dealing with it for 20 years and I have the whole health anxiety thing, I guess it boils down to the fact that I am scared of death and that is what brings all mine on half the time...

Closed Thread