It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Weird head pressure whenever I stand up

I'm really freaked about this but the doctors can't find anything wrong. Whenever I stand up from a chair, I get this weird feeling in my head as though there is a tremendous amount of pressure pushing outward toward my ears, and it makes it feel like my head is going to explode or something. My hearing also gets momentarily worse for the time while this head pressure is occurring.

I've had blood tests that came out fine, a holter monitor that didn't show anything, a full cardiac exam that showed nothing, and the ENT laughed me out of his office saying I needed a full blood workup. He was a jerk.

I haven't gone to see a neurologist yet, but I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had this and whether it's anxiety related. I have had panic attacks in the past and I get anxious really easily. But I don't know why I started having this problem all of the sudden when it never used to happen. It started happening sometime in the beginning of July and hasn't gotten any better. My chiropractor has been trying to help me, too, but hasn't been able to make it go away. I'm sick of it!

Can anyone else relate? What the heck is wrong with me? I'm not particularly anxious when I stand up, but it seems to happen every time I try to stand up. What is going on??

Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

peace1910 HB User
Re: Weird head pressure whenever I stand up

hi kszan,

the symptoms you are describing i've had too and they were related to a drop in blood pressure when you stand up. it takes the heart a bit to adjust to having to pump blood against the force of gravity and that can give you the funny feeling in your head and ears like you almost can't quite hear well for a bit. next time you go to your doctor have them do a simple test...they take your blood pressure while sitting and then have you stand up and take it again...that can tell if your pressure falls too much.......

one other thing.....try getting up more slowly to let your pressure catch up...this did wonders for me.

let me know how it goes and best wishes.............peace

The Following User Says Thank You to peace1910 For This Useful Post:
pinkvs79 (04-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

stacygee HB User

Holy cow!!! I've been feeling that way for years! I've never mentioned it to anyone because I thought it was just something I had and had to deal with it. I don't get it all the time, but I do get it when I stand up too fast or when I flip over in bed. It's like a pressure in my forehead and a pulsing in my ears. I'm so relieved to know that it's not just me! Thank you so much for sharing that.

Last edited by stacygee; 11-14-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

I also get this too! Mostly when bending over.. I always thought it had something to do with my neck always being so tight! Hah now I wonder?
Very interesting to know that there are others as well. So what does it mean there is a blood pressure problem???

Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

peace1910 HB User

hi boxer,

no those symptoms do no necessarily mean there is a problem with your blood pressure..most ppl get this every once in awhile...and the problem increases with age due to the hearts declining pumping power...it's pretty common actually....but to put your mind at ease, have your doctor check it out for you...

best wishes...................peace

Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

But when I saw the cardiologist, he never indicated to me that a drop in blood pressure could be causing this. My BP is a little on the high side, but he didn't seem too worried about it.

If my blood pressure tends to run a little higher, than how could I have a drop in BP when I'm standing up?

Old 11-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
(female)

huffnpuff HB User

It's just a drop that occurs whether you run high or low - it changes slightly when you get up or bend down and then straighten up - it's a natural phenomenom. I know it has happened to me for years, and nothing ever comes of it - I assume it's part of me. My husband gets light-headed when bending over too long. Personally, I don't think it's anything to worry about, but always bring it up to your doctor. Give him our theories on it and see what he thinks. If he thinks we're nuts, don't tell us. LOL

Closed Thread