It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User
afraid of thunderstorms...

iam so afraid to school tommorow because there calling for thunderstorms all day tommorow. iam afraid that i will freak out tommorow when they come. what am i supposed to do? i mean i guess i could try to convince my mom to let me skip...pleas help!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
(male)

quiksilver34 HB User
Re: afraid of thunderstorms...

someone please give me advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i have been afraid of storms since a child. when i was little as soon as it started i would here my dad get up and he would lay in my bed. when i reached my teens i would get up and go in my older sister's bed. as an adult i have taken the kids and pets down the basement with me. i am God swful afraid of the lightening and the noise from the thunder. thankfully i have never really gotten caught out because i don't know what i would do. have worked in a sound windowless area for many years so that has saved me at work. i wihs you the best i know it's scary,

Old 12-29-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
(female)

mia0621 HB User
Smile Re: afraid of thunderstorms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver34
someone please give me advice!
When I was a child and there was a thunderstorm, my mother would panic and hide us under furniture. I have had thunderstorm phobia (lilapsophobia) since then. One thing that has helped me is to read about storms. The odds of being injured in one are not so big. Even tornadoes are pretty rare. I have only seen one in my lifetime. It never really touched down. It looked like a couple of columns of smoke in the sky. Oddly enough, I wasn't as afraid as I thought I would be. I was riding in the car with my husband at the time. Even storm chasers are lucky when they finally find a tornado. Even when there is a warning, the odds of that storm being in your location is slim. Most of the time all we get is heavy rain, some wind, and thunde and lightning. Just getting indoors is protection from that. Do some reading. It helps.

Mia

Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

quiksilver,

So let me ask you a question. Are you going to skip school for the rest of your life because of thunderstorms? What else are you going to miss out on in your life because of them?
You have a greater risk of getting killed in an auto accident than you do being hurt from a thunderstorm. Especially if you are indoors.
I have been through 3 tornados, had lightening hit my house and blown out every appliance in my house and start a small fire and I still live my life. I am not to fond of bad weather, but I know that if something is going to happen it will happen and there isn't much I can do about it.

You definately have a phobia and maybe get some counseling to help you with it. The only way you will overcome your fear is to face it head on. The counselor can help you to control your fear instead of it controlling you.

Also, have faith in a higher power that you will be kept safe.

good luck,
lyl

Last edited by lylone; 12-29-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Closed Thread