It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Anyone know the difference between Zoloft and Lexapro?

My Dr. wants me to try either Zoloft or Lexapro for my Anxiety/Depression/PanicDisorder/OCD (and the list goes on, haha). Anyone have any experiences with either of these in terms of side effects and how well they do? I am currently taking Inderal for my tachy/svt and Xanax for anxiety. (Also, worried about the interaction between either of the two with my beta blocker because the Lexapro already on two days lowered my hr way bad, so I will have to lower my beta blocker probably no matter what with either of these meds, which may not be a bad thing I guess)
Thanks!!! Michelle

Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
Re: Anyone know the difference between Zoloft and Lexapro?

listen this is exactly what i am going through. for 8 weeks i have been on atenolol(bb) for fast heart rate and mvp. also i was on lexapro, too. they both worked very well together. i also have anxiety problems and ocd. the lexapro was great for depression, and anxiety, but it seemed to make ocd worse. i was only on 10 mg and only for 8 weeks. i heard you need to be on 20-40 mg for it work for ocd. i stopped it and got on zoloft this past weekend. i have felt so awful. i have posted this under the thread about zoloft causing agitation. i have been dizzy, agitated, depressed , panicked, anxious, nauseated, funny feeling, restless, nervous) and on and on. i have felt bad. they say give it 2 weeks to see results. i can't make it that long. i think i am going back to lexapro tonight. the zoloft (25 mg) makes me sooo sleepy i can't hardly keep my eyes open and with 3 kids i can't sleep all day. i hate to seem like i'm griping. with the lexapro i NEVER had ANY of these problems. i have heard that if one works for you the other won't (meaning lexapro and zoloft. MICHE 31 keep in touch and let me know what happens. i remember reading your posts before and thinking how our story is common with the fast heart rate thing and beta blockers.GOOD LUCK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hey there. Wow, sorry to hear your having the problems with the Zoloft. I was wondering, do you think because you went straight from the Lexapro to the Zoloft without weaning off the Lexapro it might have contributed to the worse side effects? I was just wondering, see how I'm always thinking of SOMETHING? I have a hard time trusting anything. How is the Atenolol for your bp? My Dr. is thinking of switching me from my Inderal to Atenolol just because it is lowering my bp a little too much while my hr is still a little high. I think I might try to stick it out for another week or two though until I get one of these SSRI's under control. Then see how the Inderal is doing. I just can't believe how much the Lexapro lowered my bp and hr in two days! So you have been on Zoloft for 6 days? I wish we didn't have to experiment with these drugs before we find the one that works. My pyschologist and Dr. both thought that Zoloft works best for the overall of anxiety, depression, ocd and panic, whereas the Lexapro works best for the generalized anxiety and depression. So I don't know what to do. I'm waiting until tomorrow, but will make myself crazy trying to decide.
Do you just have normal sinus tach? It's nice to be able to have people to talk to, huh? Nobody here where I'm at understand what I"m going through. It really gets frustrating. Good luck tonight with whatever you decide. I will definetely keep in touch, and you do the same.
OH by the way - take your Ativan, it is supposed to help with the Zoloft side effects. It will definetely help. I take Xanax because Ativan didn't help me, in fact, Ativan just made me sleepy, so you might want to mention it to your Dr. about trying Xanax if the Ativan doesn't help. They both work great for anxiety and the side effects.
Take Care, Michelle

Old 11-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

my dr. and pharmacist both said to just start taking the zoloft and not wean off. he said it would be ok because their basically the same drug. it made me nervous though. that may be a lot of problem. i have already gone back to lexapro tonight, which i've really probably done it to myself for sure. the zoloft was just really scaring me, and making me panicky and very anxious, and i have been having chest pains with it, which is a side effect. i guess i am to much of a worrier, but it scared me. if the lexapro doesn't work i may just take a break and see what happens. the lexapro was great for everything, but ocd part. i only gave it 8 weeks. do you know how long your suppossed to give it. i only take 10 mg that may not be enough. i do love the atenolol. i have always had very fast heart rate all of my life ,and then while in the hospital for something else i had 2 episodes of the svt's with hr at 180's. scared me to death. the atenolol has helped me so much, and no more problems. i can only take 25 mg though any more makes me very sleepy. that's also reason i can't do zoloft it made me want to sleep all day. this medicine stuff makes me very nervous, which is what i am trying to medicate for. aahhhhh!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I remember now reading a post from you, when I first got diagnosed with svt, mentioning that you have it too. I'm really glad to hear that were in the very same exact boat! (kidding) By the way, how old are you? I'm 36.
I am sooo obsessed with this stupid heart issue, did you go through that at all? I know another girl in this town who just got diagnosed with svt, and it doesn't even faze her, she gets it a lot, and isn't worried, but she doesn't have anxiety and ocd and depression.
I wanted to try the Atenolol right from the beginning but she wanted me to try Inderal, because Inderal is also described for panic episodes as well as the svt, etc. I just don't like what it does with lowering my bp. It doesn't get dangerously low, just low (80/59-60) I've mostly heard really good things about Atenolol! I'm glad that it has helped you too with your heart, and no more problems, lucky you! I'm only on week 4, so maybe by week 8 I'll be doing good too.
Ok, when I got both the Lexapro and Zoloft prescriptions, they told me that it would take at least two weeks of side effects. Just so you know, I just now got off the phone with my psychologist, he called to check on me. Anyways, I asked him which one he thinks I should take, and he thinks I should try the Zoloft first. He just told me, and the pharmacist that either one will take at least two weeks of feeling yucky, IF I am to experience any, which I know I will, but that I need, and you too, need to take the Xanax or Ativan for a few weeks at least, till the side effects wear off. I know how you feel about the tiredness. I'm tired all the time too, which is a combination of the beta blocker, Xanax, anxiety and depression.
You crack me up, because you sound so much like me, I too would have done what you did, start one, stop, start another, stop and start the other again. In fact, I may end up doing it, hope not, but may. I hope that the Lexapro works for you. Now, they also told me that maximum benefits take at least 8 weeks, and you said you made it to 8 weeks, so I would suggest that after you've been on it again for awhile, ask the Dr. about going up in dose. I too hate meds, but I think that is a common anxiety phobia. Let me know how you feel tomorrow since taking the Lexapro. I just took my last dose of antibiotic, so tomorrow will take my Zoloft. I'm already scared, haha. I'm sure I'll have changed my mind on meds at least 10 times by then.
Take Care, Michelle

Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

hey it is good to compare stories with someone who understands. i am 28 and have had anxiety most of my life but the last year it has really bothered me. i have heard from a lot of people about medicine taking 2 weeks for side effects to go away. i was just to scared to take it that long since i was already having crazy side effects like chest pain and agitation and dizziness, and almost feeling like i was hallucinating or everything was a dream. i like being in control and don't like that feeling. yeah you should try atenolol. the lowest my bp has been is 100/60's. not too bad. it's really helped. my mom has been on inderal for 30 years and her bp stays at 90's/50's she stays tired all the time though, but she has always liked inderal. everyone is different. good luck with trying zoloft you may really like it. i have heard good things about it, but i just chickened out of finishing it. i just worry to much about it i guess. let me know how the zoloft works.

Closed Thread