It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Bad stomache pain from Lexapro?

On 10mg Lexapro, 13 days on it now. Yesterday morning woke up and about an hour later had shooting pain in my lower chest, upper stomache area. Right in the center of my rib area, and under right rib area. It would come and go. I do have acid reflux, and wonder if the Lexapro has started something with it. I took a Prevacid today and haven't noticed a big difference. Does anyone know if SSRI's can cause upper stomache pain? I read that stomache aches is common, but the area where mine is under the right ribs and center, but I was told that your bowels can hurt clear up under the right ribs, so I don't think it's my gallbladder but I'm kind of nervous about this. Any ideas? I'm scared to keep taking the Lexapro if it's causing this much pain. My anxiety is still high too on 13 days even. I plan on calling my Dr. on Monday if it isn't better by than, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks - Michelle

Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
Re: Bad stomache pain from Lexapro?

hey michelle.. i don't know a whole lot about the stomach thing. i still am on the lexapro too, but i do know that 3 months ago for like 2-3 weeks(before i was on lexapro)i had bad bad pains up in the right quadrant of my stomach, and up under my rib and all the way around the side of my rib. it hurt especially after i ate. i had to go into the hospital for 4 days because i thought i was having gallbladder attack, but after tests it was not gallbladder they said it was my irritable bowel. they said when your irritable bowel is cramping or stressed(i was under alot of stress) that you have these nerves that fo up uunder your ribs and when your colon is spastic or stressed it is putting pressure on those nerves making you hurt way up there. anyways, all i know is that your colon can pretty much cause pain all over. yours may be from lexapro since it sounds more like pain in your stomach. all i know is stomach pain is side effect like you said. good luck. have you been feeling panicky any on lexapro. i started mine back up 2 weeks ago, and i still feel panicky. just wondering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hey there, I actually felt really good for about 4 days no panic or anything, and then 3 days ago, it hit all over again. I feel like I'm back to square one again. This is frustrating. I think my stomache pain is also my irritable bowel. I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 or 6 years ago, but didn't remember it hurting under my right rib. However, what you described is exactly what I have going on. (By the way, what did they do for your IBS?)My colon is also have spasms, they don't hurt, but because they are spasming I think it is connected to the upper pain as well. I am thinking it is from the Lexapro too, because it started hurting just in my general stomache area from day one, and I think it's just been hurting more and more until it started my IBS. I will have to ask my Dr. tomorrow, just to make sure it isn't my gallbladder, but also whether I should continue on this med. Especially since my panic has comeback full force, and I can't go up on this med with it hurting my tummy the way it does. I really don't want to start another med, jeesh. She said if this didn't work, she wasn't going to do anymore SSRI's, but she was talking like Wellbutrin, but I won't take it, my sisters take it and they have bad depression, and they said it helps with that but not anxiety, and I have anxiety and very little depression, if any.
I'm sorry to hear it hasn't kicked in for you yet. Did it take away your panic the first time you were on it? I remember you and I started ours the same time, but you were on round 2.
How has your svt been? Mine has been good, still get the occasional tachycardia, but very little svt, only two times and they were for a few seconds.
Michelle

Old 12-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
(female)

bek262 HB User

I am not on lexapro but I get what you have described with my anxiety every now and then - I don't think that it has anything to do with your meds - probably just your anxiety.

mine feels like a hot poker going through my stomach where my ribs meet, sometimes I can hardly stand straight when it is happening

Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

IBS has been linked to anxiety dissorders, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were a side effect of the antidepressants. I would get off them and take an anti anxiety med like Klonopin or Xanax full time. It took care of my IBS and anxiety and I have been on it for almost 4 months now. Avoid the XR version. It is a waste of time and money.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

hey michelle... since i have been on atenolol my svt has been fine. everyonce in blue moon i feel like heart may be racing but not too bad. i know what you mean by pain in the side. when i went into hospital i knew it was gallbladder and was prepared to have it removed i thought i was going to die from pain. only for them to say no its IBS. i felt kind of dumb. i guess all anxiety i was under caused it . i have had IBS for 12 years and it gets annoying. the lexapro is doing all right still a little panicky, not really helping ocd. i heard wellbutrin is for people with mild depression. not really for anxiety. i hope you get to feeling better. good luck. its funny how our stories are so similar. its good to know someone else is like me, because i sometimes think its just me.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
(female)

bek262 HB User
Question Re: Bad stomache pain from Lexapro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdengineer
IBS has been linked to anxiety dissorders, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were a side effect of the antidepressants. I would get off them and take an anti anxiety med like Klonopin or Xanax full time. It took care of my IBS and anxiety and I have been on it for almost 4 months now. Avoid the XR version. It is a waste of time and money.
Do you mind me asking how much xanax you are on and how many times a day? .25mg as needed. It use to work a treat now it works but only for about 4 hours and I still get the dizzy feeling while on it. I know when I have the stomach problem and I take a xanax it is gone within 30 mintues

Old 12-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be, I know what you mean about this forum, I feel so much better after hearing from your stories too. I get to thinking I'm just crazy but then I can get on here and get some advice from people who are experiencing the same thing and I feel much better. Does your Dr. say you might someday try getting off the bb or is it for life? Also, what did your Dr. do to help your IBS when it was so severe?

bek262, How long have you been on the Xanax? I took .25m 3 times a day for a month, and sometimes got over the dizzy feeling, but I also got to where I would need it as soon as it wore off, could feel the anxiety creeping back. It too also helps my stomache.

ocdengineer; I wish my Dr. would prescribe only the Xanax, as it is, she is not going to give me anymore, she is very anti benzo;s. It stinks. In fact, where I live there aren't any Dr.'s that I know of that prescribe it longer than a month or two. It has a very bad rap here in Montana. (sigh) I really think it would help me too in the long term, especially if I could even had tried a higher dose.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

hey michelle... my dr. acted like i would be on atenolol for life, but then his nurse practitioner acted like if i thought i was ready to get off of it i could when i wanted. she reassured me that atenolol is a very safe drug to be on long time, meaning that it did not cause long term problems. as far as the ibs i have tried zelnorm, i had seen commercials on t.v. for it. it did not work. it upset my stomach big time. there are two forms of ibs. 1)ibs with constipation, which the zelnorm is really for. 2)ibs with diarrhea, which is the kind i have. i've read to limit caffeine, sugar, spicy foods, and pizza hurts me some. i am not taking anything for it. since i have been on atenolol my ibs has been better. i think atenolol has relaxed me some, so i guess that's why. when i get panicky though it does act up.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

bek262 HB User

I have been on my xanax on and off for 2 years - during this time I have gone months without it and days where I take one, but times when I take 3.

I feel the anxiety creeping back, I started taking a xanax every morning about 8am but by 11.30 - 12 I could feel the anxiety starting to build. My doctor says to stay on the .25mg and use it only on an as need basis. He said if I have a bad attack I can take another half as long as it is 3 - 4 hours after the first.

I have an appointment on the 20/12 with a psychologist and today I am going to an acupunturist for a consult - see if they recommend acupunture for anxiety

Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be, I can't post a comment to you directly, so I'm hoping you get this. I still have the pain, my Dr. has rescheduled my visit for another week and so I've been dealing with this on my own. I am thinking of going into a walk in clinic tho. I wanted to ask you when you had your pain if you pushed up under you right rib, would it hurt bad? Mine is in the center and under right rib.
I stopped the Lexapro last night to see if that might be causing this, I didn't want to, but I can't handle this pain anymore.
Michelle

Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

hey michelle...my pain under my right rib was really bad. i was under alot of stress at the time, and it was connected with my IBS. when i pushed under my right rib it was tender. i really thought it was my gallbladder. i had ultrasound done, and a major test in the hospital and a CT scan. I was so prepared to have surgery and get it removed. one thing if it is your gallbladder, the pain is triggered by eating fatty and greasy food. i had pain everytime i had greasy food, and would feel sick. well they told me it was IBS, after all that. with IBS greasy and fatty food can also set off your colon and make it spastic. we have nerves all up under our ribs, i was told, and when your colon is spastic it affects those nerves or rubs on nerves whatever, and thats why we can have pain up under there. i never really had the pain in the center of stomach though. once i quit that stressful job that was causing all the pain and problems, the pain under my rib went away. it is amazing what stress and anxiety can do to do your body. if it gets to bad i would go to the walk in clinic like you said. thats where i went and i got right in without an appt. good luck!!!!

Closed Thread