It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Will this nervous stomach ever go away?

I have not be diaganosed with either anxiety or depression yet so I'm not sure what I have. My stomach feels nervous or nauseous but I know I'm not about to throw up. I feel like I have a flip/flop stomach and a lump in my throat, I've been feeling this for a few weeks (months??) now. I usually get this feeling really bad when I'm about to travel on Mondays (I travel for work most weeks) but I'm home this week and not travelling until January 2. Why am I feeling this way now? It's been pretty constant even thought I've been home since Friday. I'm going to my GP tomorrow to talk about depression/anxiety, could I be nervous about that? Even if I have anxety, is it usually present even if what I think is causing it gone for the time being?

Thanks for any help!
TF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
(male)

myk327 HB User
Re: Will this nervous stomach ever go away?

nausea is definitely one of the symtoms of an anxiety disorder. And as for anxiety and depression they usually occur hand in hand. Being anxious and constantly worrying can definitely make you depressed. When you see your doctor be sure to be very descriptive so they can adequately diagnose you and start your recovery. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Traveller,

The reason why it is worse now is because you are home and probably not doing as much as you normally would which causes you to think about it more. I pushed myself to go to work this week because I knew that it would keep my anxiety lower because I am not dwelling on my heart and etc.
Try to keep youself active and it will distract you from your worries and anxiety.
Ask your GP for some xanax that you can take Sunday night before you travel. I don't travel for work but I do have a commute and it definately helps me to get a good night sleep on Sunday night. Its that darn anticipation of the upcoming week that gets me all worried. The rest of the week I am fine.

good luck,
lyl

Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

Megn80 HB User

I get the nervous stomach all the time. I have yet to be officially diagnosed with anxiety..but I know I have it. It runs in my family. It could be the smallest things that set me off..but if i'm really nervous about something I get the nervous stomach and the lump in my throat. Its usually all in the anticipation of what im worried about. As soon as it happens im ok. I just keep telling myself..its all in the anticipation. I've been ok so far.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

We have spoken before. The anxiety will continue as long as you don't take the time to get to the source. A doctor could really help with this. You travel constantly, that is enough to send anyone into an anxious state, so maybe you need some time off or a career change. Something dramatic needs to change otherwise this anxiety will continue. Xanax helps. I won't lie, I take it every day and it has helped me immensly, but it only gets rid of the anxiety, not the reason for the anxiety. I know I will never be med free, but you could be if you take the time to get to the source of your anxiety. Many of us don't have that luxury, so get after it man. Good luck and god speed.

OE

Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdengineer
Many of us don't have that luxury, so get after it man. Good luck and god speed.

OE
Thanks OE, but I'm a girl. I went to my GP today and he referred me to a phychiatrist... gave me 2 names but they are both out this week so I will call Tuesday to get an appointment. I do have Xanax that I take while flying, I didn't want to start taking it every day. I had success with Celexa (for depression) about 6 or 7 years ago, so I asked the GP to switch me to that from Wellbutrin which doesn't seem to be doing much but probably helped me quit smoking. I am going to consider a career change, I need to think about the consequences of it and not just jump right into this. Just doing something today to start the process helped. And my main question of this thread was why do I have the nervous stomach when I'm not travelling this week? I guess it stays with me? It is a bit better right now. Thanks for your support!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

LOL. Sorry about that. Sometimes I don't look left. I just hope you can get rid of the stomach anxiety. I had a horrible time with it myself. It was the worst symtom I had in fact. The only medication that helped was Xanax and that was on top of some serious life changes. I quit drinking, smoking, caffeine, and eat better. I meditate every morning and it helps, but even with al of that I have bad days, so don't beat yourself up for having a bad day or two.

As a previous poster said as well. You are probably so used to thinking about work etc. that when you have downtime, your brain switches back to your anxious thoughts. I am the same way. Try word puzzles or reading a book or watching a good movie. You just have to keep your mind busy.

I hope you feel better. A career change may not be a bad idea in the long run though if it is the cause of your anxiety, but do some soul searching and decided what is important to you.

Take care,
OE

Closed Thread