It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

aub HB User
Anxiety with medications.....

Is there anyone else here who has an anxiety attack when they have to take medications? At the moment I am sick and need to take antibodies to get better I just got the medication this afternoon but I have an anxiety attack just thinking about having to take the medications, I scared that I will have a reaction to it I know it's crazy and I have to take the medication but it's really bothering me. Does anyone else have this problem with anxiety and medicine? If so how do you force yourself to take the medications and not have a full panic attack? I haven't had to take any medications for a while so the anxiety had been manageable, I don't think it ever goes away I've just learned to manage it most days, but I'm not doing that great today. Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

swig HB User
Re: Anxiety with medications.....

I have the same problem. I usually end up getting a prescription filled, reading the side effects and not taking it. I am so sensitive to medication and that increases my anxiety. It is such a struggle! I don't have wonderful advice for you, but I assure that your not alone. The best thing to do is take it if you need it and if you feel your having a problem with it call your doctor. I hope you feel better. Let me know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

You both sound EXACTLY like me! My husband wants to know why I even go to the doctor when I'm not going to do what they say anyway. Here's a few examples. I suffer from horrible allergies year round, but I'm too scared to take anything. I finally worked up the courage to take Clairitin, but it didn't help, so they gave me Zyertec. I read that it can make you really tired, so I still haven't taken it. It just sits here on the counter. They also gave me Nasonex. I read that sterioids can affect your immunity, so I'm afraid to use that too. Someone on the allergy boards told me that it doesn't get into the blood stream, so it is very unlikely, but I cannot get past my fear! Then there's the Buspar, which I was recently prescribed. I worked up the courage to take it for four days, felt increased anxiety, freaked out and stopped it. That was the only side effect and part of it was just me worrying and obsessing about it the whole time. Still, I couldn't stop thinking about what it might do to me when I went out and what would I do if I couldn't get home. I can't really pinpoint what my fears are about the meds. Can you guys? When people ask me why I can't take them, I can't really answer it very well. I just have this phobia I guess. What can we do about it? I'm trying hard to solve some of these problems this year instead of thinking about them constantly. Any suggestions to get us through this?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

swig HB User

I did the same exact thing. I had to wait months to see an allergy doctor and I am currently taking none of the medictaions. I was also afraid to take the steriods. I think when I don't feel well, I am just so nervous about the medications causing another problem and that spirals me into an anxious mess. My husband wonders why I go to the doctor too. I have so many unused or partially used medications in my cupboard I could start my own pharmacy. I hope we can all find a way out of this torture.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

I feel exactly the same way. When I don't feel well, my anxiety gets worse on its own. Whenever I'm sick, every day I worry if I don't feel better. I keep thinking I'll never feel better, what's wrong with me...etc, etc. Then trying to take medication just complicates things worse.

Did you talk to the allergist at all about your concerns with the nasal sterioids? I never asked my doctor. I just paid 60.00 for all these prescriptions and then left them sitting on the counter. I kept thinking when I have a few days off and it doesn't matter if they make me tired or sick I'll try them. Over the holidays, I had plenty of time, but could still never work up the courage.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
(female)

aub HB User

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone, althought I hate that there are others that suffer like this. It's one of my major anxiety triggers. Like both of you I think I could start a pharmacy myself there are so many perscribtions that are either full or partcially full in my cabinet. When I finally get sick enough that I have to take something I generally will only take enough to make be begin to fell better then I will stop taking the meds as just taking it makes me so anxious that I'm sick. My husband is always wondering why I have such a hard time with this and to date I still can't get him to understand why.

It has really become a hugh battle for me to the point that this time I had the Dr. give me liquid medications so I could take a small amount to begin with just so I could make sure I did not have a reactions to the meds. I know it's crazy but I don't know how to change this and I really would love to be able to change it.

At this point an Advil is about the only med. that I can take freely with out any worries. I'm not sure who to ask that could help with this any suggestions as to who might could help with this would be great as I'm open to asking anyone how to help with this.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Mediphobia is very common. I had the same problem, and sometimes it is justified. We live in an age where pharmaceuticals are given out like candy to everyone at the sign of a fever. Antibiotics are given out routinely for viruses and they are completely ineffective against viruses.

However, sometimes medication is needed. I personally always try the hollstic remedy first and then go to the doctor, but sometimes meds are necessarry, so if your doctor thinks your allergies can be cured using a medication at least give it a try. Worst case scenario it gives you more panic, but remember that instant panic is not due to the medication, so get through that and see if it helps. If not, then stop. Sometimes you have to do some experimentation with your body and find out how it reacts to different things. You may or may not like the results, but at least you will know at the end of the day.

Later,
OE

Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
(male)

Pete_T HB User

I'm exactly the same! My doctor yesterday recommended I increase my effexor dosage from 75mg-150mg, yet I'm freaked out about side effects so I'm only going up to 112.5, at least for three days. I have anxiety about my ANXIETY medicine!

Closed Thread