It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Vickie306...Esophageal spasm and Xanax quest.

Vickie306...
I read on one of your posts you take Xanax for esophageal spasms. I just had an endoscopy done because I was feeling a constant lump in my throat. The gastro said there is a tightness there, a motility problem and spasms. It gives me a lot of anxiety. I already take .5 mg's of Klonopin but usually just 1 at night. What were you symptoms before the Xanax and did the Xanax help you? I am beside myself with this feeling. It has made me so depressed. I am also on Aciphex.

THank you for your input!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
(female)

Nades HB User
Re: Vickie306...Esophageal spasm and Xanax quest.

Hi there you are not alone. I get an incredibly tight chest and it feels as though my wind pipe is closing. I also get this lump in my throat that feels as though I cannot swallow. The spasms do go away after taking zanor. Sometimes it doesnot but the sooner you relax then the faster it will go away. Take no notice of it no matter how scarey it may seem at the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank ou for your response...

I just can't handle it , I cant get the feeling to go away once it comes. Even when I take Xanax. How many mg's do you take? It's so hard having anxiety and now this, since anxiety makes it so much worse.
It really is scary.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
(female)

Worried_One HB User

I get these spasms in my neck sometimes too and it feels almost like a muscle spasm but it's in my throat. What is this? I have had anxiety disorder for years and new symptoms seem to be coming up lately but this one is an on and off one.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are so many things that can give you spasms in your throat....does your's feel like your throat is tight like you can't breath or is it on the outside?

Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

Worried_One HB User

Sometimes it feels tight when I have anxiety... like there is a lump in there or something. Maybe it's the palpatations I am feeling in my neck, I am really not sure but it's annoying.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

I'm so sorry I didn't respond quicker. We were on vacation.

The very first spasm sent me to the ER. I was sitting in the movie theater and out of no where, my chest felt like an elephant was sitting on it. I felt I couldn't get my breath. Then pain went up the left side of my neck into my jaw. I started feeling queezy and sweating. I felt like I couldn't swallow. Yeah, I know, sounds like all the major signs of a massive heart attack doesn't it?

Anyway, the attending physician and staff quickly hooked me up to monitors and did bloodwork. Shortly thereafter all test results came in and were normal. I was diagnosed with an acute esophageal spasm. He asked where I just came from and what had I recently eaten. I told him we were watching Arnold Schwarzenegger's new movie, Total Recall. He said by chance eating buttered popcorn during this intense movie?

I said....uhm...well yes as a matter of fact I was. And the attack happened just as the bad guys head was exploding. Everybody laughed and the Dr said OK.....take this....it's Xanax...and chase it with this GI cocktail. Within seconds, all pain was gone, and my pulse dropped back down in the 60's. Boy did I feel alittle embarrassed/stupid.

If you've read all my posts on these spasms, you pretty much know what my routine is for handling them. I had to learn these steps by living it. The "net" was'nt around when I started having them.

The positive side....is that with lifestyle changes and medical management, you can live a healthy happy normal life.

I'm happy to help!

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-14-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the reply, I hope your vacation was nice and relaxing for you!
I was told to take my Klonopin for it, but that does not seem to help alone. I take aciphex as well... What other GI meds do yout ake. Dr. wanted me to take Bentyl, but the side effect is nervousness, which we all know, I don't need
THanks again

Old 01-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

After my last scoping, my GI wanted me to take bentyl along with the xanax during a moderate attack. I filled the scrip, but have not had what I considered a serious enough episode to warrant both meds yet. I do not take any PPI's. I don't tolerate them at all. So I've learned the foods to avoid, that are known esoph antagonists, and also cause excessive acid reflux.

I've lived with these for going on 17 years now, so the mild ones...the one's when I notice it being alittle hard to swallow, with the mild tightness in my chest....I just deal with. Stretching my chest muscles, middle back muscles, etc. I'll take a longer stretching class that day, relaxation breathing, etc.

The moderate ones....basically brought on by me being a bad girl(eating pizza, or something spicey) causes me to get more serious minded. These spells give me mild chest pain, sometimes mild pain in my left arm, my pulse quickens. For these, I get more agressive in trying to break the spasm.

Like singing.......LOL....I know it sounds stupid, but it works for me. Nothing like a rowdy rendition of your favorite song to force your throat and diaphram to work differently. I'll also start stretching my chest and mid back, if my neck starts tightening up, I'll start stretching those muscles as well. Many many times over the years, this will break the spasm and it's gone almost as quickly as it starts. If it continues to hang on, and the tightness and feeling of heaviness just won't subside, I'll take 1/2 of a .5mg xanax. If I'm refluxing, I just chew a couple of maalox max tablets to neutrialize the acid.

The full blown attack that comes close to freaking me out, the one that resembles a heart attack in every symptomatic way, thank goodness these don't happen alot, but for these I take a full xanax, tell myself it's not a heart attack, try to slow my breathing and get as quiet as I can as quickly as I can.

The medication starts working within a max of 10 minutes. I can feel my diaphram and chest muscles relaxing, my pulse starts slowing and the nausea and sweating subsides. When it's over, I'm basically left with feeling weak. Sometimes the xanax makes me sleepy and I end up snoozing for a couple of hours though.

I have only had 3 episodes in almost 17 years that sent me to the ER. I have not had one of these since the one that lasted 12 hours last June and ended up causing a 24 hour hospitial workup. With the 3rd one (last June), my Dr sent me home with my very own little mixture of the GI cocktail, to use in combo with the xanax for the killer of all spasms. Xanax alone will not stop these attacks.

I do not have GERD. My condition is esophageal spasms, brought on by nerve ending sensitivity/damage. This is the primary reason for spastic esophageal motility disorder. For different reasons, people end up with the mylen coating over the nerves lining their esoph damaged or hypersensitized.

When acid by refluxing splashes up, or eating spicey, or hard to swallow foods like some breads, and meats, irritate the lining of the esoph while swallowing the attack happens.

Oh and thanks..we had a wonderful vacation.

Last edited by Vickie306; 01-15-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread