It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

ILuvBoston HB User
Expired Paxil... what should I do??

Hello...

I started getting panic attacks in 2001... and took paxil then......

In order to get the medicine, i was required to see a psychologist that was an MD.... and I didnt know this idea because I had problems that no psychiatric person would understand..... and rather just heal on my own....

Heres the problem...... i was on 10mg.... and then said "You know, i think I need 40mg"....

When I got the 40mg... I never went back.... and have been breaking little pieces off the pill (1-3mg)... and taking it a few times a week... maybe 3 times / week

I cant get off of it!!... when i try to... i get these zaps.... im so scared.... and have no1 to talk to about it... and dont need to go to a psychologist, and will not.....

I have been taking about... 1mg 3x a week the last few yrs....... but these pills were from 2001..... its 2006....

I think they expired a while ago... i dont have the orig. container

I HATE PAXIL

its the biggest scam ever... I CANT GET OFF... because of these electrical zaps..... its the biggest scam ive ever heard of....

1) How do I get off?? Easing off isnt working... i tried many times and the "zaps" come back

2) Is expired paxil very dangerous?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Expired Paxil... what should I do??

Hi I posted a message to you under my message. I don't think the expired paxil is dangerouse its just less potent. I personally would ask the Dr for a few pills since you are using such a small amount 5 pills should last for you. I cannot believe you still get zaps from not taking 1mgt. Your right its so terrible, that is what the law suite filed against them was about, the terrible withdrawls.
Someone recommended switching to a med like Prozac with a longer half life then weaning off that. At least your body will still have the serotonine and you will not get the zaps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

You need to be under supervision to come off of these pills. Maybe a primary care? You should not do this alone with expired pills. It is normal to get the brain zaps when coming off. But please see a doctor that can help you with this.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
(male)

ILuvBoston HB User

So you think expired paxil is just less potent -- not dangerous??

Is this the case with most medications??

Thanks!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I am pretty sure medication won't spoil like food, and I don't know about the potency either. It may or may not have decreased, but if you are having withdrawl then you need to at the very least find a therapist to help you through it. It sounds like you have had bad experiences with doctors in the past. Well, I think that is part of the journey. We have all had bad experiences with doctors, but you need to keep looking until you find someone who knows what he/she is talking about. Never go to the first mechanic in the yellow pages, so never go to the first doctor. Call them and find out what they can do for YOU. Start with a therapist though to get you on or off the Paxil. I know the zaps you are talking about. They are harmless, but I know how uncomfortable they can be and the thoughts they inspire.

Take care,
OE

Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
(male)

ILuvBoston HB User

Are you sure the paxil zaps are harmless???... im scared they could do some damage (

Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Hey fellow Bostonian:

The zaps are harmless from what my doctors say. i got them coming off of Lexapro and although uncomfortable they told me not to worry.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Yep. They are harmless. I have had them too. They suck, but they won't do any damage and should disappear after you have weaned off of the Paxil entirely. Good luck!

OE

Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Paxil and all other medications break down after a period of time. Some medications even become toxic.

A specific mixture of chemicals make up Paxil. It may be 5 to 200 different ingredients. When one, two, three of these ingredients die or changes then it ceases being Paxil.

When your food is spoiled do you still eat it? Why treat your body different when your specific medication for a specific problem spoils?

Old 01-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
(male)

ILuvBoston HB User

If i stop taking paxil tomorrow.... even though its 1g ever few days..... ill get the zaps in about a week

How long will they last???? Along with the horrific nightmares??

Old 01-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Paxil is non addicting, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be tapered off. You will probably need a replacement antidepressant, don't do anything until you talk with a doctor and they can prescribe you a different medication. Your boby will do fine until then, or do a consult with your doctor over the phone and go from there.

Closed Thread