It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
(female)

km_820 HB User
Why am I so obsessed with my health?

Ever since March of last year I've been completely obsessed with my health. No matter how many times the doctors tell me that everything is okay I will never believe them 100%.

It started last March because I started to have pains in my upper and lower abdomen. I went through numerous tests with no answers and doctors telling me that it is all stress related and that I was faking my pain. In October I was rushed to the E.R. with what was later found out to be a Gallstone "attack". Through all those months not one test found the Gallstones except for a simple Ultrasound of my upper right abdomen. Who would've thought? I'm also only 17 years old and it's pretty rare for someone so young to have Gallstones.

Ever since the whole Gallbladder incident I have a hard time believing what doctors tell me. When they used to tell me nothing was wrong, there WAS something wrong. Now every night before I go to bed I think about my health and how I need to call the doctor or how my chest is hurting a little bit or there's a little pain on my side. All the little aches and pains are now so big to me. A stomach ache was never over-analyzed by me about a year ago.

I know that I am healthy but I only think that for so long until I freak out and start to pin point the pains on my body that never would've bothered me before.

Does anyone know how to get through this severe anxiety without prescription medication? Is there any way that I can help relieve the stress without asking a doctor to write a script to get an MRI done or any other kind of test to MAKE SURE that nothing is wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
(female)

mbright12 HB User
Re: Why am I so obsessed with my health?

I know how you feel. Unfortunatley, I can only say just that. I have the same phobia and I am always concerned about my health. I constantly think I have something terrible wrong with me. But everytime I go and have it checked out, I am always fine. As time goes by you will see that it might be just that. But, I am not a dr. if you are in severe pain or having really bad symptoms bug the dr to get it checked out just to make sure. Also I take xanax .25mg as needed, and have for about 2 and half years. It works great for me.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

Kellir HB User

Km its called health anxiety(hypochondria). I know how you feel, im the same way. If a doctor tells me im fine, I dont believe them and I constantly worry about my health. Im 18. Theres really no quick fix to this but medication would really help alot. I dont really have any advice because Im going through the same thing and its really hard to deal withxxx

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-08-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
(male)

Pete_T HB User

There's a good book I started reading called "It's Not All in Your Head" which deals with health anxiety. ISBN 1-57230-993-8.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

li_low HB User

Yes I have this too..constantly aware of every ache or pain. Doctor does the tests to reassure me. But I always think I have something and think maybe this time I WILL have something. But I never do. My health is always on my mind. But as I said to another post. When we have anxiety we become extremely sensitised to our own bodies and what normally would go unnoticed in the non anxious person is upheld by an anxious person till you work it in to actually having something. The idea is to nip it in the bud and think realistically about the actual symptom. I find the more I worry the worse it becomes and then after this period of a week or so..it all goes and I know I can look back and see it was brought on by anxiety as I no longer have that same ache or pain. I think I am so frightened of death and if I could work out why I was so frightened and solve this then I wouldnt be so worried about my health and dying!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

jete23 HB User

I'm not so much worried about my health, but I have a severe fear of dying that I've had since I was a kid and its that that gets me going, not so much being sick. I can deal with being sick, but its if I have chest or head pains that really get me going cuz then I think I'm dying.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
(female)

kabester3 HB User

i amm soo obsessed with my health. I thought i was dying of heart disease at first.. and i am only 17. i did not understand why my heart would beat out of my chest so hard/fast all the time. It would beat hard even when i wasnt thinking about anything stressful or doing anything.. i just had so much adrenaline in my body (still do) i was convinced i had the worst problem in the world and id have to get some sort of surgery which im completely terrified about.. i went to the cardiologist..mind you,i cried to the doctor because i was so sure i was about to be on my death bed..he found absolutely nothing wrong with my heart what so ever. just hearing that there was nothing wrong made me calm down a ridiculous amount. but ever since then..everyday theres pretty much a new ailment and im still fighting this..i see a different doctor every month..it is really ridiculous. i feel all of you having the same problems,its a good feeling knowing im not alone..If i get a good medicine for this crazy anxiety i will be sure to let you guys know.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
(female)

cosmosmariner HB User

I know how you feel too...I am obsessed with health too. I try to overcome my anxiety about it, by learning more about the body. The more I learn, the more I realize just how miraculous, powerful and hearty the body really is, and the less I worry about every little ache and pain.

I would suggest to turn your obession into something, like maybe this is your call to become a doctor?!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
(male)

ccel1 HB User

Hi their, i do understand you completely.. i have exactly the same problem, i'm glad i can tlk about it in this discussion board, its good 2 tlk 2 people with the same issues! i suffer with severe anxiety about my health for like 5 yrs.. it started off with me worring about germs and infection, i was scared 2 touch things, but now it has come to the point where i constantly need to go to the doctor because of the severe worry that their is something terrible wrong with me, i'm only 21 yrs old.. but i still worry even tho the doctors have tested me loads and loads of times and tells me i'm ok i still worry if he has not spotted something, or its gone undetected! this is a bad phobia about my health that wnt leave me alone, i have tearful nights ect.. i take 50m serterline tablets every night but it doesnt seem to help.. i would appreciate it if you could help me threw it seein that you have the exact same issue.. we have to help each other. xxxx

Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I really do feel for you it is horrible to deal with.I have generalized anxiety disorder but most of my anxiety is health anxiety.I have dealt with this for 14 yrs now.I have been on meds and off meds.I am doing well lately and have been for a good while.I think you should try some counseling,books and possibly some medication.Really it is your and your doctors choice wheather to try medication or not.What I do personally is use positive thinking if I have a physical symptom I try and brush it off and say to myself "probably anxiety again" and I try and keep busy,eat right,exercise.If I get sick I get sick I try not to panic over it anymore.A major no no is symptom surfing which is when you google by your symptoms this will only bring up all kinds of horrible illnesses ,that you more then likely do not have,and freak you out.I used to be a master at symptom surfing I would spend hours upon hours doing so.Anxiety can cause so many different symptoms that it is really pointless to symptom surf.Waste of time and you cause yourself lots of panic.Anyway,try and get a hold of this thing before it gets even worse do not be ashamed to get help it is the best thing. good luck!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
(male)

ccel1 HB User

Hi sory i didnt catch ur name? i'm Carlo, well basically i have had verious phychatrists, and a cognitive behavior therapist, which is meant 2 help with the way u think, to get rid of the negative thoughts and think possitive.. it did work for a while! had her for like a yr! then unfortunatly she lft and ever since my way of thinkin went down and i have been really upset, tearful night ect.. i have been waiting for another cognitive behavior therapist for ages and no1 has come yet i see a phychatrist every 3 months which in my opinion isnt enough.. the phychatrist reduced my serterline tablets but the tabs dnt seem 2 stop the bad thoughts.. i do try 2 think positive but the bad thoughts still creep in! my congintive behavior therapist did help with that but unfortunatly i dnt have one anymore.. i keep askin myself why?? i seek to god.. and i kno Jesus is inside me and protects me, thats my only positive way of thinking, he tells me i'm fine.. just like all the doctors, the amount of times i went to A&E lately for the past 4 months is crazy! everytime they have said i'm fine and now their gettin fed up of me and have told me not to come back cause it won't help! which is very wrong.. they dnt seem to relate what i'm feeling to anything possibly bad anymore, they always put it to anxiety which i understand it normally is related to that but i am worried now if their's something wrong with what i'm feeling right now, and being that i have been to the doctors/hospitals so many times i don't wana be the boy that cried wolf.. so if their's possibly a problem all the doctors will ignore it and not take me serious anymore when i'm worried if this problem could be serious? can this happen? x

Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

li_low HB User

I just have to laugh tnmomofive!! The symptom surfing..oh how I can relate to that!! Got to laugh or I would cry!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
(male)

ccel1 HB User

Sorry i sometimes forget i am writing in a message board and use shorter words! anyway i was talking to a lady earlier and she gave some very usefull advise, its just i can't seem to get rid of these bad thoughts no matter what i try, i know what you was sayin about reading stuff on the net, so see if that could be what i have, that just feeds the anxiety and makes you panic more! i don't know what to do.. i try to ignore the bad thoughts but they still creep in.. like i said i used to have a good therapist but she left.. she tried to manage my thoughts, its just very hard.. i would appreciate it if you could try and help me out.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
(female)

stay2gether HB User

Seriously the only way is to stop going to the doctors. I used to be at the doctors 3 times a week on average thinking there was stuff wrong, it was an obsession i realise that now. I moved away and as time went on I didnt go to the doctors anymore, its been nearly 6 month since i was last there!! You just need to break the habit.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #15
(male)

ccel1 HB User

I know what you are saying, but its hard to stop going because i'm still getting the same syptoms which is distressing and giving me discomfort.. i have been to so many doctors, they keep tellin me i'm fine.. but i still have gettin the syptoms that are bothering me, i have had loads of different tests including blood tests ect.. but that does not seem to reassure me even tho they always come back normal, so i don't know what to do.. i keep thinking the doctors don't take me seriously anymore and have not spoted an undetected serious problem! i was seein a cognitive behavior therapist for a year which was to try and stop the bad thoughts, which it did help until she left and i havent had another one since! i'm really upset.

Closed Thread