It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(male)

sister of 4 HB User
Klonopin , Made me feel worse

I was on klonopin for 7 months, .125 mg 2x a day,made me feel good in the begining, but lately i just started feeling heart palpatations,just wasn't feeling well,dry mouth feeling even depression.wan't sleeping well I called my doctor,first he said to take an extra dose in the afternoon, made me feel worse , so he said to cut down on the klonopin, I was only taking .125mg, so I cut the tablets in 1/2, still didn't feel well, so on my own I went back to lorazepam, Well guess what, I felt pretty good, didn't feel so sick. I would take 1/2 of the klonopin tablet at 7am then I would take .25mg of lorazepam at 2pm, then another 25mg at around 8pm If I needed it, No more heart palpatations,, I feel better,more energy,I am sleeping all nite, eventually I will cut the klonopin in quarters, till I can come off of it, I thought klonopin was going to work great, I was on lorazepam for 8 years for anxiety and panic attacks, was taking .5 mg 3xaday, doctor said he wanted to try a longer lasting medication,thats why he switched me to klonopin and then he would eventually wean me off, Just didn't work, I even thought I was getting that rebound effect.Because I was on such a low dose of Klonopin, But after 7 months, I thought things would be getting better.Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Klonopin , Made me feel worse

I was told that you shouldn't mix ativan and klonopin together. By many doctors. You should contact your doctor about this.

When I was on Ativan and switched to Klonopin i had to wait many, many hours before I started klonopin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
(male)

sister of 4 HB User

When my doctor switched me to klonopin, He had me take .125 mg at 6am and at 6pm, and told me to take a .25mg tablet of lorazapem at noon,and then cut the tablets into quarters for another week I guess till the klonopin started taking affect, , I thought it was to also sort of wean me off of the lorazepam. I felt calm at first, but for some reason the klonopin, months later just stopped working for me.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

It stopped working for me too. i liked the ativan better

Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

hollym17 HB User

Everybody is different and obviously different medications work differently for different people. My doctor prescribed Klonopin on an as needed type basis (he prescribed enough for (3) 2mg doses a day - however I rarely need near that much). This immediately brought my panic attacks to a halt and has ever since, without any harsh side effects (I do feel groggy on days I actually do take a total of 6mg/day, but like I said I rarely do). Klonopin may not be to blame for your feeling worse. Each benzodiazepine has a different half life so you may be getting a yo-yo type effect of medication in the bloodstream. I had this problem when I was on the shorter acting Ativan. You may want to discuss this with your doctor.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I was also told by my psychiatrist not to mix benzo's.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
(female)

hollym17 HB User

just to clarify my last post, I think a multiple benzo approach isn't used a lot of times because of the difference in medication half lifes. when I took ativan, I would feel great initially, but could definitely feel it when it wore off. however, when switched to klonopin I don't feel these ups and downs because the medication is longer acting. don't quote me on this (because my doctor and I had this discussion long, long ago), but klonopin begins to act in about an hour and the medication in the blood peaks in about 4 hours and starts to dissipate after that. this helped relieve the ups and downs (sick feeling) I had on shorter acting benzos.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(male)

sister of 4 HB User

It's been 4 days since I started taking the lorazepam again, still taking 1/2 of a .125mg tablet,of klonopin,I sorta feel out of it, I will take the.25mg tablet of lorazepam at noon, I just don't feel that great after taking the klonopin.I won't be taking it much longer, Just taking it slow, don't want any withdrawl symptoms, I know they are the same type of benzo, but they say the make up is diffrent. I'm so tired of this, as most of all of you are, Thanks for listening and for your replys. God Bless all of you.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I have heard of Klonopin causing oversedation and depression in some cases. All I have heard on Ativan is good things. I personally preffer my Xanax, but then we all have our drug of choice. LOL. Ativan and Xanax actually work similar and have a shorter half life, so you have to take it more times per day, but the effect is much better. No lethargy, depression etc. If the Klonopin isn't working and the Ativan did work for many years, then why mess with a good thing.

Take care,
OE

Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
(male)

SoccerDad HB User

Sister of 4,

Where are you getting .125 mg Klonopin tablets (and breaking them in half)? The smallest dose available of either Klonopin or Clonazepam is a .5 mg tablet (which is a very small dose).

You're saying you're taking .0625 mg of Klonopin? That's one eighth of a pretty small .5 mg tablet. I've gotten good at splitting tablets in half, but I can't imagine splitting it into eighths.

Alex12,

I was told that Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Xanax are very compatible. I take Clonazepam regularly, but I carry some .25 mg Xanax (just in case). I was told this was completely safe. Anyone?

Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

I, too, am baffled by the minute amount of Klonopin-.0125mgs?? You'd have nothing but dust of you cut them that small. Trust me, I've taken Klonopin for years and been cutting .5 into half and even quarters and it's nigh unto impossble to do. Just wondering is you've misunderstood your dosage--not to be rude, but you could lick a 1 mg tablet a couple of times a get that much of a dose.
Everyone has a benzo that is "best for them". Mine happens to Klonopin. Maybe yours isn't. I hate that I have to take anything for anxiety and all but I hate not being able to function and I hate panic attacks worse, so until I can totally live panic attack -free-med free I have my security blanket. I do know that if you take benzos on a regular basis it can make you harder to deate if you go in for procedures where you have to be mildly sedated, so be sure to tell them (or you'll have and endoscopy whilst WIDE AWAKE...otherwise, I think we all need to chill out a lot. (Yeah, I know, easier said that done)

Last edited by liz49; 01-11-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

When weaning off I had to take that low of dose. It is awful cutting them. Personally I think it irritated me more than anything to be on such a low dose.

Klonopin worked wonders for me but then I developed depression from it. But it definetly helped me regain the life I once had!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I took klonopin for two years at .5 mg twice a day.Klonopin was a wonder drug for me.About 15 to 20 minutes after taking that first pill I could tell a major difference my anxiety went from very high to none at all.Even the obsessive thoughts of thinking I had a terrible illness was gone I could no longer obsess.They worked great for those two years.The only complaint I had was they did make me sleepy but it was worth it to me.
I have also tried Ativan (5 months).I found Ativan to seem much weaker then klonopin and it just did not seem to do that much for me.Don't get me wrong they did help some just not much.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Klonopin , Made me feel worse (SoccerDad)

SoccerDad

I am interested in what you use the Xanax for since you take Klonopin as well. I also have .25 mg of Xanax that ws prescribe to me a few months ago after being in the ER, because thats what they were giving me in my IV.
ANyway, I never took it and just continued the .5 mg of Klonopin since I was told not to mix Benzo's.
I'm curious , do you use the Xanax because it kicks in faster...which do you prefer?
Thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
(male)

sister of 4 HB User

I am actually taking clonazepam, generic for klonopin, they are .125mg wafer that desolves in your mouth, it was not hard to cut them in half. Sorry I didn't state that in my first post.

Closed Thread