It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
(male)

PotentBerriez HB User
Would Benzodiazepines Work for me?

Hello, i'm new to the forum and i would like to tell everyone a little about myself and problems. Well overall i am a very nervous person. I am 1* and have been on a couple ssri's like zoloft, effexor, and paxil for ocd. Well i started that about 2 years ago and i finally realized, through those medications, that they were not working for me so i quit taking medications. Now, i have my ocd under control for the mostpart and its not really bothering me that much. But i am very nervous over stupid, small stuff, espeacially in school were it impacts me the most. I will constantly think people are judging me on how i walk, talk, eat, write, conversate, etc. and they are going to negatively comment on me. It has gotten so bad that when i talk to people, i am so worried on not looking stupid, making eye contact, etc, that i will mess up the conversation and make my self look really stupid. This happens very often in almost every conversation i get into with and i am so tired of it. I am the same way in resteraunts, stores, or any other place that is public. Occasionally i will get so nervous that i chatter teeth or sometimes shiver (but not all the time). It affects my social life TREMENDOUSLY and i need something to change how am as soon as possible. i've done some anti-depressants, but they dont help and im not that depressed. i am some what depressed because of my social condition and i think about how i might end up in the future, not married, loner, or something. But i have read about the benzodiazepines and how they work fast, and i think that they might work very effectively and change my life for the better. Without treatment, i think i will not have a pleasant future. Please tell me what you think and what a doctor might do if i present this to them. Thanks. - Also, when i move from a sitting to standing position, often i get very lightheaded, dizzy, and feel like im bout to pass out. it only lasts a couple seconds or less.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-15-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Please don't post your age if you are under 17. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
(male)

B48 HB User
Re: Would Benzodiazepines Work for me?

Yes, I think Benzos probably would work for you. They might make you sleepy and a bet lazy to do your school homework. You should consult with good doctor who specializes in social anxiety who will start program that is suitable for your situation. Good work out should help tremendously.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Benzo's would work. I take only Xanax for OCD and my life is competely changed. Just make sure you understand that they are not made to be taken as needed and should be taken in a constant dosage. This will eliminate the drowsiness the previous poster spoke of. Also, if you are going to take these long term which is usually the case for anxiety dissorder sufferers, then make sure you don't ever just stop taking the medication cold turkey. It can be very dangerous to stop taking these drugs without tapering them off slowly. Your brain builds up a dependancy on the drug and when it is cut off it can cause seizures and even death. This is incredibly rare and is usually due to people who take large amount for recreational purposes, but understand the risks up front.

The Benzo's are far more effective at countering anxiety than any antidepressants, so, yea they will work, but if you can stay away from them until you are out of school that would be benfficial. Try Kava Kava first. It has a mild sedative effect and helps with minor anxiety. As a last resort try the Benzo's.

Good luck,
OE

Old 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
(male)

PotentBerriez HB User
Wink Re: Would Benzodiazepines Work for me?

Thanks alot to both of you. Im going to visit a doctor soon and hopefully get this resolved. Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
(male)

billybob33 HB User

hi I get the same type of stuff buy I find jogging has really helped get rid of alot of my anxiety. even though you don't feel like it force yourself as the excercise will slow down your anxiety. You will think much clearer afterwords. get a routine everyday. best billybob

Old 01-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
(male)

waw7892 HB User

Benzodiazepines have been helpful to control my anxiety. Attivan is very benign and is usually taken in .5 or 1 mg tabs. It has a soothing, calming effect but usually lasts 6 hours or so for me. Klonopin is a better option. It has a longer lifeline and can last up to 12 hours. This is an effective drug, 1mg tabs are the bnorm. Then there is xanax that I have never taken but that is the real deal and the most likely to have some addiction potential.

I would ask your doctor about klonopin for anxiety as the ssri's or the snri's really wont cut it. Also make sure that the anxiety is not a comorbid condition(something in addition to something bigger)you mentioned ocd but if depression is asociated at times with the anxiety and then you have periods of great energy or multi-tasking it is possible that you might fall under the bipolar spectrum. No matter what I wish you peace of mind and the best of luck.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I also take a benzo, xanax, for my anxiety/panic/ocd disorders. Surprisingly the xanax does help me with my ocd! The SSRI's didn't plus the side effects were awful. My concern is your age. Obviously you're under 17 because ms mod had to edit your age. Finding a doctor who will put you on a benzo will be difficult. Back in the 80's(old school LOL) when I was in high school I went to a psych for my anxiety/panic/ocd which my mom also had and he wouldn't help me much. Back then they were handing out xanax like it was candy and I was 17 and REALLY needed it! My mom took xanax and then went to valium. This was her doctor I went to and he knew I suffered with what she had and yet he would only prescribe antidepressant type drugs which did not help at all. Make sure you go to a psych, not your general doctor and tell him/her every single symptom and what you'd like to try. Hopefully you'll find the help you need. You're so young and even now at 37 I still remember feeling what you're feeling so I know what you're going through. I wish you the best of luck and keep posting and letting everyone know how it's going. There's a lot of support to be had here
And with the sudden lightheadedness upon standing, could be a drop in blood pressure. Since it passes so quickly and you don't faint it's probably not serious but you should mention it to the doctor you see.

Good luck!
Tori

Closed Thread