It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
How long does an SSRI stay in your system?

i am day one off of Celexa and just wondering how long will it take before it is out of my system.

My doc wants me to be off of all meds for at least 6 weeks to clean out my system so that we can start over and see where I am at with my anxiety and panic.

I have been on many meds starting with Ativan, then tried, welbutrin, klonopin and lexapro, klonopin alone then celexa. I am suffereing from a FOG that I think is derealization but he is not sure as I have been on so many meds this past year. This is why he want me to start clean.

Anyway... Does anyone know how long this stuff stays in your system?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User
Re: How long does an SSRI stay in your system?

Every med has a certain half life--that is, they stay in your system for a laength of time, slowly decresingover time--as far as Celexa--probably onyl a few days to a week before its essentially gone but ask uour pdoc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
(male)

Blankpage HB User

I dont know the answer to your question, but can you tell me why you didnt like lexapro?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

It was too strong for me. I was a stone. and i gained weight from it. I just didn't feel good on it.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

How about Prozac, have you tried that one ??

Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoor View Post
How about Prozac, have you tried that one ??
I havn't tried it. my doctor has prescribed this as a back up med if I don't do well off celexa.

Have you tried this med?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
(female)

adj76 HB User

I have been on Celexa a few times and have just started it again. I found that for me I have a hard time coming off it. I need to wean off it very slowly for weeks, or else I experience strange sensations in my head when I moved my eyes (almost like a zap). My opinion is that it is in your system for at least a week after going off completely. Did you wean off?

And a personal question too - did you have any issues starting Celexa? Like I said I am just starting it again, taking only 10mg a day right now for a week, and I am having trouble with my vision (feels like when you get your pupils dilated and can't focus). Just wondering if that's normal. Never personally felt this before - I am taking the generic of Celexa, so could that be slightly different than name brand (what I took in the past)?

Angela

Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I did wean off. I was on 30mg and drop 10mg each week. Today is day 3 and I am so tired and I feel really foggy.

did you experience this when you came off?

I did go through the vision thing for about a week or so. It will get better. And yes i was on the generic version.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Well, I went 4 days and then the doctor put me back on 10mg for the next week and then to 5mg for week and then try again to come off. He thinks I might need to taper off a bit slower. He mentioned that the next time I come off Celexa (in 2 weeks) it will tell us if it was the withdrawls or it just might mean that I need an SSRI. The back up plan is Prozac. Any feedback on that?

My withdrawl symtoms were I was so tired my eyes would not open and I could not stop crying. Complete zombie and felt like I was walking in dream.

My anxiety didn't come back during those days but boy did I feel awful.
i still feel awful. Tired and bloated.

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

Will feel like hell the next 2 weeks or do you think the Celexa will kick back? I hate this and I really need some one to talk to about this.

Thanks for any time you can spare.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
(male)

Brian2007 HB User

Sorry that your having such a hard time coming off it, I think it kicks in pretty fast once you go back on it. I use a heating pad on my stomach when I'm bloated or have stomach pains, it helps me relax a bit. Hope you feel better.

Closed Thread