It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
(male)

cmatthews1326 HB User
nerve pain - could it be anxiety

I had c-spine surgery (foramanectamy) c5-6 last year. right now I am having nerve pain that comes and goes. It starts at either shoulder then can go to my wrist, arm or fingers It is not really bad, but just annoying. Also, I sometimes feel it going into my face by my jaw. And once in a while it goes down my leg. Like I said it is not really bad pain, but just annoying and worrysome. I was wondering if it could be something other than my disks in my c-spine or maybe it is in my head because I get really bad anxiety when I start feeling this.

A response would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

anxiousinnj HB User
Re: nerve pain - could it be anxiety

Pain can cause the anxiety- doesn't mean it has to be the other way around. With your history I would talk to your spine surgeon & ask if there is testing that can be done to check for nerve involvement-- I believe there is. Now once the anxiety/fear kicks in , that can make your pain worse so there is a viscious cycle there. Way to break the cycle is to find out what is causing your pain. I woud start with a visit to the spine surgeon & make sure your pain is treated- then work on the anxiety as well with perhaps an anti anxiety med.

I have had pain become worse due to anxiety & fear of what it was coming from, but the anxiety was not the reason for the pain to begin with.
Hope that all makes sense !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread