It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
(male)

willc HB User
Question Elavil and Xanax together?

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted. I take .5 Xanax 4 times a day, Prilosec twice a day, Micardis\HCT once a day and my psychiatrist wants me to take Elavil 50 mg a day. I have PTDS and GAD. Does anyone have any experience taking Xanax and Elavil together? For that matter, any of these with Elavil?
I took Elavil three years ago and it did help for pain and depression and took away sinus problems. I quit it a year or so ago. The thing is, when I was on Micardsis\HCT only, (For HBP} before diagnosed with other conditions, I took 1\2 of an Elavil 25 mg and I was a complete zomble the next day. I was so completley drained of energy, had a mask face and felt as though I were going to give up the ghost. I felt about as dead as can be and still be alive. No pain, just drained. None of these drugs are supposed to interact in too bad a way, but my second experinece with Elavil was not good. I would just like to know anyone's experience or thoughts. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User
Re: Elavil and Xanax together?

I don't know what Elavil is or is for? Why would you be taking it? Is the 2 mg of Xanax not woring for you? Just curious to see what is going on to warrant the need for another drug.

Later,
OE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
(male)

willc HB User

Thanks for responding. My psyche gives me xanax for anxiety disorder caused by Post Traumatic Distress Syndrome. He now believes I should take the Elavil or amitriptyline for depression. It is usually given for fibromyalgia or depression. I am not sure I want to take it again because I have read where some people say it raised their BP and I am not sure if that is what caused my BP problem as I was not on any medications at all until diagnosed with HBP. At any rate, I am afraid the combo of xanax and elavil will be too sedating or harmful in some other manner. Just looking for anyone with experience in taking xanax and elavil together.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
(male)

beach8411 HB User

I have never heard of it but i take lexapro and clonazepam together and it seems to be ok.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi will,

i just saw another person ask a question about amitriptyline/elavil, in re to her daughter...

you're right. elavil can have some dangerous side effects if you take meds. for hypertention. (my mom takes micardis, besides norvasc, and more recently, betapace). {REMOVED}

i never took elavil myself; i'd suggest you speak to the dr. who prescribed it for you and hopefully s/he knows about your other medical history.... if not, inform him/her. i'm sure there must be another pill for pain (neurontin?) that you can take that won't have so many side effects/interactions with the other meds you're currently taking!

good luck, will!!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-11-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Please read and follow our posting rules, do not copy and paste material from other sources. Ms_Mod

Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
(male)

willc HB User

Thanks. I appreciate the responses.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
(female)

kessa HB User

willc-I am the mother of the daughter that was given amitriptilyn(Elavil). She was a basket case on that drug. She was so tired and zoned out. After much research and talking to a friend/pharmasist, we decided to take her off. It has dangerous side effects like Bp and has been linked to heart attacks and strokes. My daughter has a heart problem and I was shocked to find out these side effects. She is also only 14 and it has not been approved for use in children or teens. I would be careful with this drug. I take Celexa and xanax together and don't have any problems. Hope this helps.
Kessa

Old 02-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
(male)

willc HB User

Thank you. I will mention Celexa to my psyche. I wish your daughter the best of luck. God Bless.

Closed Thread