It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

impala lady HB User
heart racing & dental gum numbing shots

hi everyone, i have a question i have not saw on here before. i am on lexapro & xanax. when i went to the dentist for a filling this week after he gave me shots to numb me my heart starting racing for over 5 minutes. i had not taken a xanax since the night before, but had had taken my laxapro about 1 hour earlier. i have heart paps at night but nothing thats lasted this longer. the dentist said this sometimes happens and it wasn't anything to worry about, but i literally felt weird all day from this. has this ever happened to anyone else? would it have helped to take my lexapro after the dentasl appoint? i have another cavity, but i don't think i can handle the heart racing again that hard or long.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

terry111 HB User
Re: heart racing & dental gum numbing shots

A couple of years ago, I was having a wisdom tooth pulled and when they gave me the novacaine (I had several of them in one small area), I felt like my heart was stopping and like everything was just slowed/stopped for like an entire minute. It was the weirdest and scariest feeling ever! I didn't even tell anyone about it, because I thought they'd all think I was weird. I'm not sure about the heart racing.. maybe it's related to that feeling I got too??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

jete23 HB User

Did you have a tooth pulled? I had an infection and then needed to get my wisdom tooth pulled about 2 weeks later, and both times he gave me a shot of epinepherine (not sure of spelling), which makes your heart race. It is suppose to subdue the bleeding. He gave me it the first time and didnt tell me what it was and I asked and he was like oh, this is what I gave you, and I was like, um ok, thanks for telling me since I have panic attacks!!! But, thats probably what it was, not the novocaine. Or, it could have just been anxiety about being at the dentist, especially if you have health anxiety.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
(female)

impala lady HB User

hi jete 23, thanks for replying. no i didn't have a tooth pulled but when i asked the asst. what the shots were she told me it was epinephrine or thats what it sounds like (she could'nt say the word right either). i wasn't worried at all, just dreading the numbness. but the dentist did'nt seem worried at all, just said that this sometimes happens when i told him the meds i was on. but, it scared the bejibbies out of me.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

wailana HB User

I have anxiety going to the dentist, so my heart is always racing. I recently went to the dentist. I usually take a Xanax before my appointment however I didn't. After they xrayed my teeth, I took one because I was on the verge of an attack. Anyways, not sure whether my post helps or not.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
(female)

jete23 HB User

It definitely makes your heart race. Like I said, dentist told me it was one of the side effects after he did it. It only normally lasts a minute or so-the anxiety probably just extended the feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala lady View Post
hi jete 23, thanks for replying. no i didn't have a tooth pulled but when i asked the asst. what the shots were she told me it was epinephrine or thats what it sounds like (she could'nt say the word right either). i wasn't worried at all, just dreading the numbness. but the dentist did'nt seem worried at all, just said that this sometimes happens when i told him the meds i was on. but, it scared the bejibbies out of me.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

SNC727 HB User

Hi Impala Lady:

Many people have this reaction to novacaine, but obviously if you already have an anxiety issue which shows itself in your heart, then it will be worse.

I have had many many dental surgeries and procedures and we found out only when I was in my teens that I had this reaction to novacaine. My whole body would shake uncontrollably including my legs - understand the the drug is a stimulant. I only developed my anxiety issues many years later - so unrelated.

The next time you're going to have a procedure to have in stock an alternative. For instance if you are going to get two shots, they can give you one of novacaine and one of another drug - I have to have that done and no one says a thing, it is the case with a lot of people.

Good luck next time!
Stacey

Closed Thread