It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

ktbird HB User
Experiences on Lexapro - Pros and Cons

I am taking Lexapro and have for over a year. So far I have really liked it. My life for the most part is back to normal or even better. The only issue I have had is significant weight gain.. like 30 lbs. Also I am interested in hearing from others who've decided to get off it. How did you do it and how do you feel now? I am not planning to do it now but who knows I might some day.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

wailana HB User
Re: Experiences on Lexapro - Pros and Cons

I gained 17 pounds while on Lexapro. I don't know how because I didn't notice whether I ate more or not, which I don't think I did. Anyways, when I decided to get off Lexapro, my doctor had me wean off. The whole process took me about a month. The withdrawals were gnarly. I would get these zaps up my arms and I was totally spacey. It seemed whenever I would walk, my whole body would zap. Totally unpleasant. However, I got off the Lexapro. When your ready, let your doctor know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

acebabe HB User

ktbird,
I am on my 2nd round of Lexapro. !st time I took it for a 1.5 years gained 20 pounds in like 2 months. Tried going off the med would get flu like symtoms, but as so as I took a pill I was ok. It took about a month and a half to get off it. Stayed off for 7 months. Started having panic and anxiety attacks so bad I went back on. I am at 30 mgs a day now for 3 months. There are side effects to all meds, but this time around I have lost 27 pounds in 3 months. If you need to have the med you have to sacrifice alittle. To me being able to live normal was more important than weight.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
(female)

JillyC HB User

I took Lexapro for approximately 9 months. I didn't feel like it made any difference with my anxiety, and I gained 40 pounds in that time. Yikes! The weight gain has added stress to my life--acid reflux, sore feet etc. I finally decided to go off of the Lexapro (about 4 months ago) and have not gained a single pound. Of course I haven't lost any either--that's where the hard work kicks in. I am so frustrated with this weight gain though--it was totally unneccessary, and now I am a 45 year old woman battling weight. Yuck!
Also, the reason that I gained was that the medication caused me to crave carbohydrates, and I was hungry ALL of the time--day and night. Since going off of the medication (with no bad symptoms) those cravings have gone away. Good luck!

Closed Thread