It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
(male)

jimmylast HB User
light headed 24-7

Hi chaps ive been light headed now for about 5 years it started when i had a panic attack and it never went away ive been on all sorts of meds A-D and Xanex the A-D did not work for the anxiety but made me a little happier (im not depressed)i get depressed not being able to do the things i want but i dont feel unhappy, ****** off yes.I wanted to ask if there are any pysical test that I should look into? I've only had one blood test years ago. it seems this could easylie be something other than anxiety...any thought welcome no matter how strange they may be. if you want to know more please ask writing 5 yeras off history down will bore most people..thanks regards jimmy.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Smile Re: light headed 24-7

Hi Jimmy~

I too suffer from panic disorder and anxiety. I have been lighthead/dizzy for over 7 years now on a daily basis. I wake up feeling like this and go to bed feeling like this. You mentioned lightheaded are you having vertigo, meaning an illusion of motion or spinning? I first want to answer some of your questions, what other illness can cause you to feel dizzy on a daily basis.. Well there are many including anxiety. The most common is inner ear disorders, usually with an inner ear disorder you will have some sort of "true" vertigo meaning spinning at some point if your ENT has put you through all the proper test and has determined it's not inner ear then it's safe to say it's not. But a ear, nose and throat Dr. can determine this( a.k.a ENT Doctor)
Now Getting back to the anxiety, I wrote a whole topic on "Anxiety" and Dizziness/Lightheadedness that I was amazed at how many others suffer from this as well. I am going to forward this post to you in this thread so you can read what I wrote and see if perhaps this applies to you as well. I hope you find it helpful as well as perhaps useful in getting to the bottom of why you have been feeling like this for so long with no real answers, you may be surprised at how stress and anxiety can come out in the strangest ways! Some of us walk around with so much anxiety and stress and don't even know that, that is what they are suffering from.. They are just having symptoms that are not related to any "illness" other then plain old "anxiety". You may look up other post from me as well there that may be helpful as well. Okay so here is the post on Dizziness~~

OKAY so now the big question "can anxiety really make me feel dizzy" The ANSWER is yes, Doctors have known for many years that psychological disorders, such as anxiety, can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. This type of dizziness was given the nonspecific name of psychogenic dizziness. Here is what I have learned through my years of struggles with anxiety related dizziness, and believe me I research and research and ask my therapist to explain it over and over again..
What disorders are associated with psychogenic dizziness a question all of us on this board commonly ask, well the truth is Several studies point to a specific set of disorders that can cause symptoms of dizziness and imbalance. All these disorders are in the anxiety disorder family and include panic attacks, certain phobias, and chronic anxiety disorders.
What symptoms are the symptoms? How does your dizziness feel? Another question we all ask on this board, the answer is Psychogenic dizziness will present with a variety of symptoms including lightheadedness, feeling heavy headed, feeling a pressure sensation in the head, feeling far away or detached from the environment, feeling like they are going to fall, and sometimes even the feeling as if you are going to faint.
Can something else be causing my dizziness? Another question that floats around here as well. And the answer is yes, inner ear disorders are the most common reasons for dizziness, In fact inner ear problems that have completely resolved but the symptoms still persist, despite the resolution of the inner ear disorder can happen. In this case I was told and found VERY interesting is that it appears the inner ear disorder triggered an anxiety, panic, or phobic state. In this situation, the psychological disorder perpetuates the dizziness, despite the fact that the underlying inner ear disorder has resolved. How interesting is that!!! I couldn't believe that when I was told by my Doctor.
Well I never had a ear infection or disorder, so what else could it be? Another question that goes through our minds.. The answer is there are several physical disorders that can present with symptoms similar to those experienced with psychogenic dizziness. Some of these conditions included anemia, thyroid disorders, neurological disorders, cardiovascular disorders, hormonal disorders, Migraines (without an actual headache) This is called Migraine Associated Vertigo, TMJ Disorder from clenching or grinding our teeth, which most anxiety suffers do.. That was Just to name a few. But keep in mind these disorders present many other serious symptoms and NOT JUST dizziness. Anxiety Disorder can come out in us in so many ways not just dizziness, and I think it should be know that the mind is a powerful weapon and sometimes when we suffer from this condition we tend too become so sensitive to what we feel .... I know that's how it is for myself!! I hope this post helps, any thoughts or questions let me know! Boxerlover
(SORRY for the long post) Just thought this was worth including!! Feel Better..

Last edited by boxerlover227; 02-20-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
(male)

jimmylast HB User
Re: light headed 24-7

thanks for the long post very helpfull.....will reply in more detail tomorrow thanks again...

Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Your very welcome.. sorry again it was so long!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
(male)

jimmylast HB User

cheers..everything you said makes sense my main concern in finding out if it is something else other than anxiety (dont think it will be) but like you said possible, most doctors I've been too never give me an option to get checked for all the above but I'm working on that.....anyway it has never let go mainly gets worse if im streesed of course, it did seem to go away on two occasions once working out and I'll add i was in a good mood at that time in my live but nothing great was happening i just wasn't sitting there I was doing stuff.BUT it soon came back like within 1 hour wierd...second time i was simply just having a lot of fun on a short holiday felt fine came back felt good for a while then bang lightheaded again.....what helps me it seems is stimulation being exited but its all to easy to fall into bad habbits anyway even if my live does suck I should'nt be light headed 24-7...I've been on Xanex that help the anxiety but not the lightheadedness A-D made me some what happy but if anything made the anxiety worse and did'nt touch the lightheadedness.....have you tryed any forms of treatment that helped in anyway?I have an accupouncher session lined up I'll see how that go's and post it up ill keep you informed i am a fighter but 5 years is takes its toll...heres a list of meds tryed..
effexor----happier thats all
cyprimil and sedative worked ok but that was seditive working
prozac---horrible
zoloft----happier in a way where i could'nt do anything did'nt care
rispidril and something similar---horrible made me to tired
Xanex----that best med ive tryed but did'nt get rid of the light headedness
i think at a high dose this will work doctors do not like perscribing Xanex but if it works then so be it assuming all pysical possiblitys have been ruled out..thats it hope it makes sense i had to write fast....jimmy

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-21-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

Ewing101 HB User
Lightbulb Re: light headed 24-7

Hi, Everyone I am new - I was doing some research on line regarding Lightheadedness, I started feeling the exact way you all have explained about a week ago. It really scared me cause the 1st time I thought I was going to faint. I get real nausated also. I thought something serious could be wrong, but when that is the only symtom your having its kinda hard to believe it would be serious. As I read all your postings it made sence to me seeing how I just quite smoking 53 days ago, and I have been having alot of anxiety.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

When I quit smoking a few years back for a brief moment, I got light headed for a while.

Yours is probably from that.

Mine, I think, is from anxiety. I don't have panic attacks anymore. My last one was last a year ago. But, I have been suffering from this "dreamlike" state ever since. It is very disturbing!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

tweeny456 HB User

HI, J2006, Im still feeling in a dream as well no tablets are working for me its horrible feeling like this i wish we could all get better.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
(female)

hillz_nz HB User

hey, i've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks too for the last 6 months. but the good news is is that they are the easiest form of anxiety to treat! apparently. i got mine ever since i moved to australia, the usual symptoms for me are this continuous light headedness, and then when i get a panic attack the sweaty palms, wanting to leave the room, getting hot etc. In the past 3 months i've been seeing a counsellor about my problems and really find that it's been worth while. i have not tried medication yet, but i recommend to everyone to find someone to talk to. the lightheadedness is caused from hyperventilation, the average person should breathe around 12 times a minute, but we tend to breathe around 20 times a minute, and that's what causes the lightheadedness/dizziness feeling, because we're not taking in enough CO2. I've been doing breathing exercises every day since i've had my meeting (it involves breathing in for four seconds while sitting upright and pushing my stomach out gently, holding it for one second, then breathing out for another four seconds.) BUT along with the breathing, you really have to think positively. You have to recognise when these panic attacks come on, why, and how to deal with them. I often find that carrying a list of reminders around with me helps. It takes a little while, and the panic attacks/anxiety will always try to get you when you're down, but once you have alleviated yourself from them for a while you will continue to do so. Thinking positively is the key though, don't think to yourself that you're going to beat them, instead think that you are prepared for when one happens, that you don't mind having one and that you know what you have to do. It's <hard> having to put up with it, feeling inadequate and not normal like 'everyone else', but you're not going to get over it unless you think positively. Since doing this i've almost alleviated all my symptoms, i still sometimes get this lightheadedness in times of stress, but it's normal to have a little anxiety in your life

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-27-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Note edit to your post. If you know a word is questionable enough that you have to edit it, then choose a different word.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
(female)

hillz_nz HB User

P.S. As mentioned earlier, it's apparently usual for people who suffer anxiety to think that they have some other kind of illness e.g. heart attacks, brain tumors. I guess it's just hard to believe that the mind is such a powerful thing...

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
(female)

MISSYJO HB User

yes i too have suffered from dizziness always worsening as the day goes along..alot of stress,neck and back tension..i have been on xanax low doses for 7 years..it seems i have to take more at times to make it go away..it is almost impossible to work..i was off for 2 years..just now back 1-2 days a week..i cant
take too much more..its really aggravating and no one seems to understand nor do doctors have any answers!! i hope there is hope somewhere soon for all of us who suffer..

Closed Thread