It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

Vickie306 HB User
Recent allergic reaction to Xanax, anyone else?

I have taken Xanax .5mg for esophageal spasms for 16 years as needed. After a very bad episode that landed me in the hospital last June for 24 hours of observation, my GI doc decided I needed to take xanax as a preventative instead of chasing the spasm, once it happened. He wanted me to take one at noon, and bedtime for a total of 1mg per day.

Two weeks ago, I took one and within 15 minutes, my throat started swelling and began itching. I did not have any problem breathing, and basically it just felt hard to swallow. A quick phone call to the doctor determined that it was indeed an allergic reaction, and obviously not to take anymore. Cold turkey.

After some investigating, I found out that Upjohn has sold to Pfizer, and it's being made in a different plant. The doctor and pharmacy feel I had a reaction to the binders/fillers on the pill, or the cleaning solution used between runs on the equipment. I'm obviously very upset as this med has helped me tremendously.

I was given a scrip for .5mg Valium.....but I am terrified of that drug. So it's still sitting in the cabinet, unused!

Has anyone else had a problem with their xanax since mid December, when the change to Pfizer happened?

Last edited by Vickie306; 03-02-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

Squelchie HB User
Re: Recent allergic reaction to Xanax, anyone else?

Vickie -
I'm so sorry that you've had a sudden allergic reaction to a drug that you've been able to depend on for so many years.

I have not heard of anyone else having an allergic reaction to Xanax so if your doctor feels comfortable enough prescribing it for you...I wouldn't be afraid to take it.

Also, I'm not sure why you are afraid of Valium but my husband takes a small amount of Valium for an equalibrium problem. Valium (also known as Diazepam) and Xanax are both medications that belong to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. They work the same way but just have different names just like there are several different anti-depressants that do the same thing but have different names.

You can read more about Valium and Xanax at [url]www.*****.com[/url]. I hope that you find the information that you need and that you'll either begin to feel comfortable taking Valium or find another medication that helps your spasms.

Best wishes!
Squelch

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-02-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I haven't noticed any allergy type things but I do feel a little weird lately, maybe the last few months so maybe it is because of the change. I take brand xanax not generic. Is that what you take? When I took the generic I was losing a lot of hair and then switched to the brand and my hair loss stopped. Weird huh? My doc said it was probably the filler causing it and not the actual med. Is there anyway you can find out what they use as their filler and then determine if that's what you're allergic too? I have heard of people taking a med for a long time and suddenly developing an allergic reaction. Our bodies are strange that way I wouldn't be afraid of the valium tho. It isn't going to be as strong as the xanax I don't think but it will help. My mom took it for her anxiety disorder. Try it, just cut it in half and try that and see how you feel and once you discover it's ok and you're not going to die(this is how I am with new meds, very paranoid) then take as prescribed. If you need it you need it. And if I had to switch from xanax to something it would be valium.

Try doing some reseach on the fillers and keep us posted on your valium too!

Take Care,
Tori

Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Hi, sorry about your reaction....just a little side note .5 mg of Valium is a lower dose then Xanax...Klonopin would be more equivilant. Either way, don't be afraid, it shouldnt even be as strong as the Xanax, but it will last longer.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Hi Tori. I have always taken the brand name. Once many many years ago, the pharmacy gave me the generic (alprazolam), and the pill made me horribly dizzy and nauseus.

This allergic reaction happened out of the blue. Obviously with my throat swelling, my dr does not want me to take it now.

The pharmacy (cvs) told me they were going to contact the company to see if the fillers had been changed recently. I mean dang.....I had just shelled out $80 for the refill of 60 pills!!!!! And this happened with the first pill out of the bottle. So far the pharmacy has not gotten back with me.

Last edited by Vickie306; 03-02-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Hi Squelchie. Thanks for your reply. The dr took me off xanax immediately upon learning my throat swelled.

The reason I'm apprehensive about the valium, is because I know it's highly addictive. I know it's in the same class of benzo's as xanax. However, in 16 years of xanax, I never developed a dependency to it.....as I was able to stop abruptly with no side effects.

Also, I can't help but be nervous about whether or not the same filler is in the valium as well.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I had a bad reaction to Xanax, extreme rebound anxiety, nausea, sweats. It was horrible, the worst experience I've ever had, next to Paxil. I never had such bad or hard pounding heart rate, it was up in my throat area, took me 2 days to get the stuff out of my system, and it just wore me down terribly. Will never touch again.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie306 View Post
I had just shelled out $80 for the refill of 60 pills!!!!!
Yikes!! I just paid $20 for a 3 month supply (90 .5's) but they will last me much longer than 3 months. I have always take the generic and have never had problems. I was just wondering why some of you take the brand name? Thanks!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
(female)

owutaqt HB User

You know something seems weird about this to me. I am not sure what it is, but if I were you I would contact the FDA, it is very very rare to have a reaction to a drug you have been taking for awhile, very rare.
However, because it was a new script, are you sure it was xanax in the bottle?? I have had pharmacists give me the wrong med before, something just does not sit well with me aobut it. Contact the fda and let them know what happened, maybe something is wrong with the whole batch and had nothing to do with the actual MEDICINE in the pill.

I think you can go to fda.gov the other thing I would do is contact the mfg yourself and explain what happened, they may have an explaination as well. Something just does not seem right about this.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

yes, I'm sure it is Xanax. And, yes it is extremely rare to suddenly develop an allergy.

That is why both the dr and pharmacist feel I reacted to something other than the drug itself.

Since Upjohn sold the rights to Pfizer, it's very possible the plant that is making it now, is using a different binder/filler and very possible that the cleaning solution they are using is different than Upjohn's plants.

I didn't expect there to be a huge number of people affected. After all, that's why severe allergic reactions are rare. And throat swelling is a severe allergic reaction.

The last 2 weeks have been very uncomfortable to say the least, because I feel I'm at the mercy of the next spasm, with no medical management to help me.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
(female)

LauraDaydreams HB User

Vickie -

I'm just wondering - you found that Xanax helps your esophageal spasms. What exactly happens to you when you have an esophageal spasm? I'm VERY curious, as I have been dry heaving for months, and I notice that the only thing that stops/prevents it is my combo between Prozac and Xanax. My doctors don't really know what it is or WHY I dry heave. Acid reflux? Anxiety? It's probably all linked. GAH!

However, I can't offer any advice about allergic reactions to Xanax...it seems to be a wonder drug for me so far.

Good luck!!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
(female)

Esoph HB User

Hi VIckie,

I've been taking Xanax for about 3 years now for esophageal spasms as well. I haven't had any allergic reaction that I know of - although I am concerned about "rebound" effects. If you are afraid to take Valium - it's more addictive than xanax - and you can't take your xanax - there is also a "benzoe" called clonazepan. I started taking it this summer and I use the xanax for "breakthrough" spasms. The clonazepan stays in your body longer - xanax is short acting. Ask your doc - it may be a better option for you. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-03-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

It depends on how severe the spasm is. Mild ones make your chest feel alittle heavy or tight. Moderate ones can cause actual chest pain, arm pain, etc. The really bad ones mimic a massive heart attack. By that I mean, bad chest pain, left arm pain, neck and jaw pain, sweating, nausea, etc.

I personally have never experienced dry heaves with a spasm.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-03-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I"ve heard Klonopin is good also, more long lasting.

Closed Thread