It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
All the bad stuff going on

Do any of you just feel really horrible about all the stuff going on with our country (and world) these days? I live in Colorado and I substitute teach in the same school district as Columbine High. (elem. schools). Also, there was that horrible incident in Sept. in the county next to mine at Platte Canyon High School where poor Emily Keyes was killed. Then you add in the Amish school incident, and the recent VA Tech., it really is bumming me out alot. I watched that convocation yesterday and sobbed the whole time. I have always been real sensitive anyway. And not to get political here, but with all the crap going on with the administration...(let's face it, its the worse we have ever seen)...I am starting to feel hopeless about so many things. Dont people care about all the soldiers getting killed in Iraq? It seems like so many people do not care about anything but themselves. They dont care about the state of the planet, the state of our gov't, the poor people getting killed in Iraq (for nothing, as far as I am concerned...just my opinion). Every other car is a gas guzzler (I drive a hybrid). It just makes me so bummed out that people dont GET stuff alot. As if the word PROACTIVE means zilch.Then you watch the media and they continally dwell on the fact that this horrible thing at VA Tech is the biggest massacre we have had by gunfire. Isnt that a bigtime set up for an unbalanced person to try and top the record? My 2 kids are 22 and 26, both of whom care a great deal. So many young people dont care and that is because their parents role modeled poorly for them. I guess I just need to vent because I feel like this world is such a disaster. I live in a suburban neighborhood and sometimes talk to my neighbors. All they care about is their lawns and over watering them in a drought. I am the only one in a HUGE subdivision who has xeriscaping. I drove around before I put the xeriscaping in, to get ideas...and there were zero in a subdivision of HUNDREDS of homes. What goes on???????????????????????????? Obviously, I needed to vent and thanks for listening. Does this stuff bother any of you and does it makes you anxious? I am not going to go on drugs to cope with the craziness in the world. I actually do have some Valium for muscle spasms from neck fusion. Dont think I am not tempted to take them every day. But I resist because I dont want to get addicted.
Thanks for listening. I appreciate it alot.

Last edited by SKZ; 04-18-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: All the bad stuff going on

Your perceptions of our crazy world are not inaccurate and the challenge you face is how to live sanely in an insane world. What will drive you nuts is if you begin to think the world should be anything other than it is. Its supposed to be a crazy place because there has to be some planet for crazy people to go and guess what, here it is! But, there are some people who aren't quite as crazy and there job is simply to live in this world as best they can despite all the craziness around them. You can do all kinds of good things like recycle, conserve, etc....But, you cannot expect others to do that. Many do, and that is there choice. You can live in this world and not be of this world. Consider it a classroom with many disruly students. You choose how you act and react in the classroom. Some of the problems are so ludicrous they become a kind of black humour. I heard yesterday that some politician or school official was saying the recent VA massacre could have been prevented if the students were allowed to carry concealed weapons. Unbelievable! I never hear an official say that our nation has an anger problem and we need to institute nation wide anger management. But, that would be reasonable and we live in a crazy irrational world. Focus on your own positive contributions and let the world do what it will. You'll feel more empowered and less anxious.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: All the bad stuff going on

Thank you for the inspiring post. The classroom analogy works well for me because I teach. Tough week, all around, I guess.

Closed Thread