It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

nervousgurl84 HB User
Post Anxiety Medication and Pregnancy

Has anyone stayed on their meds while they were pregnant and the baby been ok? If so what did you take. Please I don't know what I should do, do I get off the meds or stay on them?

Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

lilmsmagic HB User
Re: Anxiety Medication and Pregnancy

I dont know what meds you are taking right now, but there are several classes in which medications fall into. You need to check into that and see which class it is in. I was on 3 different medicines(1 each pregnancy) and my children turned out fine. I was a high risk pregnancy because of the meds (which is no big deal). They just keep a closer eye on you and do the more advanced ultrasounds and stuff. I worried about the effects as well, but all in all, it went just fine. You have to be able to function while being pregnant, so depending on your situation is what would determine whether you could go off the meds for atleast the first trimester. I stayed on mine. I hope this helps some and I wish you luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Hi
I would not stop your meds, you are on them for reason and stopping them abruptly could cause you to have bad withdrawls and have bad anxiety, especially with your harmone levels changing. I was on Paxil 20 mg and Klonopin .5 mg towards the end of my first pregnancy. I was on Paxil 20 mgs the whole time I was pregnant with my second daughter. Both children turned out fine. Paxil they now say is not good to be on while pregnant (when I started on it it was still Cat. B can you believe that, now its D) Anyway, just talk to your doctor, you can stay on meds and have a baby.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

alpdance HB User

I consulted with a perinatologist who was very knowledgeable about anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds in pregnancy--she said she is seeing more and more patients who require them. I don't know which meds you are on, but I was taking Prozac when I conceived and I abruptly stopped it the moment I found out I was pregnant--I would not recommend this. The beginning of pregnancy is a touchy time for anyone, but for a woman dealing with anxiety and withdrawing from meds...I had a rough few weeks. When I saw the perinatologist, she said that Prozac is considered safe to take as well as the occasional Xanax that I had been taking. I decided not to take the Prozac because by that time (around 11 weeks) I could tell my anxiety was lessening somewhat (also, Prozac was not really working that well for me, not nearly as well as the Paxil I had been on before trying to get pregnant). It was good to know that I could take the Xanax if I really needed to. But I found that my anxiety decreased significantly after the first trimester was over, likely due to hormones. I know from experience that it is a tricky situation, especially if you feel that you need the meds to function well. My best advice would be to see a doctor (OB or peri) who is knowledgeable about these types of meds during pregnancy and get all the information you can so you can weigh the pros and cons. Good luck to you.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

nervousgurl84 HB User
Post Re: Anxiety Medication and Pregnancy

Thank you for all your replys, it is comforting to know that some of you stayed on your meds and had healthy babies. I'm currently takeing . 5 klonopin in the morning and .5 in the evening. I will definitly consult with a doctor before trying to start to get pregnant. Thanks for your replys.
Brooke

Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

I came off my medication before i got pregnant so i was through withdrawels before i concieved. I have to say... my anxiety is 200% worse during the pregnancy then it was before. Now my doctor wont put me back on my antidepressants or antianxiety medications and im looking for a 2nd opinion.

I'd talk to your doctor, but there are many women on the pregnancy board who are on medications and their children are fine. I guess my OB is "oldschool".

Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

Nervousgurl - I just wanted to add that I'm currently prego with #2 and for me - I never had any anxiety while pregnant. It is very common - due to hormonal fluctuations that many women have anxiety free pregnancies. This could happen to you too... It's great to hear you are preparing for pregnancy and looking at all the factors = what a great mom you'll be. Check with both your regular doctor and set up a visit with an OB/GYN to get their feedback. There may be a med that is better for pregnancy that you can switch to now. Or, you may try to ween off before trying to conceive. Either way, looks like you're doing the right thing in seeking answers beforehand....Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

I have anxiety and depression and want to get pregnant. My doctor switched my meds from celexa to prozac because it is safer during pregnancy.
If the benefits outweigh the risks than you should definately get a new younger obgyn and be on meds. If you are having a lot of panic and anxiety that is worse for the baby thatn being on meds.

Closed Thread