It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
Question just prescribed trazadone... nervous, help!

Hi,
I was just prescribed trazadone for insomnia from my doc.
I haven't really slept in almost 3 weeks, and am loosing my mind!
I have a history of insomnia, though it's been fine for the last year, but triggered by various recent stresses.
I also have OCD (pure "O", mostly), panic attacks and deprssion.
WOW THAT'S DEPRESSING!

Anyways,
I was grappling with my insomnia/night panic, and although have been attempting to sleep naturaly- nothing has worked, hot baths, valerien, ect...
So, I have been taking a variety of things to calm me down so i can finally fall asleep -though the sleep is breif and crappy.
This is a vicious cycle, becuase I am getting gincresingly anxious/exhaused/depresssed/delerious, ect.

So, saw her today, and she gave me Trazadone for sleep.
I am terrified of taking new prescriptions. I',m not on any other meds, but have been taking stuff on and off these two weeks.
So, my question is:
Has anyone ever tried Trazadone?
Does it work well for anxiety-induced insomnia?
What are the side effects?
Is it safe?
Please, any advice is helpful-
I need to take soemthing before I go totally nuts, but I am so afriad to try it!
Thanks for listenting!

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-24-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Do not discuss using prescription medication that was not prescribed for your use. Ms_Mod

Old 04-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: just prescribed trazadone... nervous, help!

A few people that work for me take this for sleep and for migranes and they LOVE it! I have never taken it but am thinking of asking for this med so I can sleep. I know it is frightning to take new meds but they really do love it and have no side effects - which for me would be the reason for taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

janx HB User

Hi there,
My dr. prescribed trazadone for me to help me sleep after my brothers death a couple of years ago. I have taken up to 3 at a time, have never had any side effects. I keep a bottle on hand, but do not take it on a regular basis now. I use it occasionally, no problems. Try not to worry, several of my friends take it with no ill effects. There are other meds that have much....worse side effects. I believe trazadone is one of the safer ones on the market. Good luck.....now go get yourself some sleep. Just kidding! Bren

Last edited by janx; 04-24-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: just prescribed trazadone... nervous, help!

thanks guys!
i'm gonna try it, i'm feeling alittle less nervous, but I've had some bad exoeriences on meds, so I get so scared!
How much time shoudl I allow for sleep on 50 mg?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
(female)

vo-5 HB User

I've been on it for 18 years. It is truly a God-send medication. Without it I would never sleep. I have all the same problems you do and it is the only thing that helps with sleep. You may be a little groggy during the day for a few weeks, but that will wear off and you will be grateful for this medication. I can't say enough good things about it. Good luck and good sleeping!

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-25-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
(female)

Jessbear HB User

I was also prescribed Trazodone for insomnia. I find that it knocks me out pretty quickly and makes it easier for me to fall back to sleep if I wake up(my real problem). The one problem that I've had while on it is that I'm extra tired the following day and for the entire day. All I want to do is go back to sleep!

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
(female)

Luvmydog HB User

I took Trazodone and it does work! However it gave me some mild heart palps (I have supraventricular tachycardia anyway) and my cardio doc told me to stop taking it. So I was switched to Remeron......BIG MISTAKE! It packs on the pounds BIG TIME. So, if the Trazodone doesn't cause you heart palps, it's probably OK for you. I just started taking Rozerem last night and slept thru the night. Might want to check that out. It's way better for you than Ambien or Lunesta! Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
(female)

Dawn B. HB User

I took Traz for insomnia for two years. Absolutely nothing else I was prescribed helped me sleep, only the Traz, and it was God sent. I took 50 mg. at bedtime.
You know, I was just thinking: My Paxil stopped working and I just started Lexapro 5 days ago. I'm still anxious. Does anyone know if taking a little bit of Traz in the morning might help the daytime axiety?
Dawn <><

Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Question Re: just prescribed trazadone... nervous, help!

wow! thanks for the responses!
V0-5: Do you have OCD too?
I was wondering how this medication registers in people with OCD.
That is my "Primary" illness. But I have major bouts of depresssion and anxiety/panic attacks that don't necessarily stem from the OCD.
After my recent break-up, two months ago, I have gone through waves of severe depression (sleeping all day) to bouts of extreme anxiety and insomnia- where I've stayeda t for the last three weeks.
It sucks becuase the day my deprssion finaly lifted after two solid bad weeks, I felt great- I felt like myself again- and then that night I couldn't sleep, and then then the next night- and then on and on until I hadn't slept in almost two weeks, and started to have anxiety attacks every night- mostly about sleeping.
The ER nurse gave me Ativan, and I hated it, it barely worked, and I got really deprssed the next day.
Xanax worked best, calmed me down enough to stop obsessing about falling asleep, but that is really addicative and I had rebound anxiety.
I am hopinh the trazadone works.
I took it last night, and i slept more than I have in three weeks, even on all the other meds.
Partially, cause I skipped work and finally got to sleep in.
I had to take a little more at 6 am, cause I woke up and couldn't go back to bed.
So, I feel rested to today, not anxious, but griggya dn still sleepy.
How much is a good ammount to take?
I took 50 mg's but woke up 6 1/2 hours later (to my dog barking) and couldn;t tune it out, so I took 1/2 more, and slept 6 more hours.
So, how much should I take to fall asleep and stay asleep?
I know 50 mg is standard, but I don't know if it's enough.
Also, I don;t want to take this forever- if I treat my anxiety with something, will the insomnia subside?
What about Cymbakta and Celexa?
I don't iknow anything about these meds.
I haven't been on meds for years!
until now...

Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Question Re: just prescribed trazadone... nervous, help!

one more question guys-
I'd felt ok whenI first got up, after taking tazadone for the ist time last night.
but now I'm feeling pretty irritable and depressed.
I'm still tiered, so i guess that could be it.
But is it common at all to get irritable or deprssed from trazadone?

Closed Thread