It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Cash Register Anxiety?

Does anyone else suffer from this? LOL. Everytime lately I go to the store, by the time I get to the register my hands are shaking, I'm deep breathing, fumbling with my debit card while the cashier looks at me like I'm a lunatic. Oh, and if there is a line, forget it! I spend so much energy psyching myself up for the register that when I actually get there it is even worse. I try to find the shortest line possible. This only started a few weeks ago when I began to have a random panic attack in front of a chashier. It got bad, and I had my kids with me. Everyone was looking at me. I think it's the fear of losing control and the memory of the attack that is triggering the anxiety. Am I alone here? I just need to feel like I'm not crazy! LOL.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
(female)

szyq1212 HB User
Re: Cash Register Anxiety?

Yes, that actual situation happened to me about 2 weeks ago - my hands started trembling so bad the cashier could hardly hand my money back to me without me dropping it - thought it was just a one time thing - but no - every place I have tried to go alone I just start trembling so bad I can hardly stand on my own two feet. I have been having a terrible time with anxiety and panic attacks but the trembling is the worst I have ever had. I can't go to any store unless I take my husband. Finally went to the dr. and he put me on Xanax and Celexa - haven't been on either one of them long enough to know if I could go somehwere by myself yet. I certainly don't want to have to rely on my husband everytime I want to go shopping (though I love him to death), just want to be my own person again - it is very very frustrating!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

siren,
what attack are you remembering? If there was a past traumatic incident it can trigger anxiety and you will need to neutralize that memory. Have you seen a therapist about it?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

The attack I'm remembering was just a fullblown panic attack, and it only happened about three weeks ago. That day I had been a bundle of nerves because my husband had a job interview that was REALLY REALLY important to us. I took my kids out so he could be alone for a phone interview. I was jittery the whole time, but when I got to the register it turned into a full-blown panic attack that only got worse as I tried to put my kids in the car and get home. I coped with it for a while, until I got to the left turn lane in the intersection near our house, then it came back. I wanted to jump out of the car, but I managed to hold on until the light changed and pull over where I had to sit and just let it pass. My poor kiddos. Anway, not only do I have problems with cash registers now, but I also get trembly at that one intersection. Weird, huh? Or maybe not so. Like I said, I think it's the memory of the panic attack and the fear of having another one that is triggering this anxiety.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 04-25-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

hope555 HB User

Hey siren!
I have the EXACT same thing. I HATE line ups...i usually go with my mom, and make her wait in cash register line ups...I can't do line-up standing at all!! I'm like that because a LONG time ago (about 6-7yrs), I was downtown, with a parade, in the hot july sun...was in the lineup outside for the free food, and totally fainted! It was the worst feeling in my life. Luckily I've never fainted again. However, recently, in the past year and one in the past month, I've had a low blood sugar attack...after these happenned...together with first traumatizing fainting issue, I've been completely afraid of lineups and public places in general. I'm also in a stressful time in my life, so its all adding up together. I have one more day left of college, after which I'm going to see whether my anxiety gets better. If not, I would consider therapy or drugs. Your not the only one who feels that way about line-ups. If simple relaxing techniques like breathing etc don't work, I think it would be time to start looking into therapy/ meds..people have had quite some success on them from what I've read. Good Luck.

Sincerely, Hope

Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

barbpom HB User

Oh yes, I have had this too. I'm totally woried about it the entire time I'm shopping. I really have to talk to myself to get through the check out. Sometimes I'm ok, then other times, Yikes!! You are not alone. Right now My anxiety panic attacks are terrible, not sure why. I have been under stress, but not sever stress. I hate the way I feel right now, just plain out of control.

Barb

Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

siren,
yes, it sounds like you are having some anxiety about anxiety- or a panic attack about having a panic attack. Deep breathing exercises can be very helpful at the onset of a a panic attack or anxiety. It would make sense that you would get anxious or panicky about a setting in which you had previously been anxious or panicky. Again, deep breathing can be helpful. Cognitive behavior therapy is also useful and you can do a net search on it; there's lots of good free information and there's a couple of good books.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
(male)

jools182 HB User

I get that too
I feel dizzy all the time and I am constantly scared of losing conciousness
But if there is a line of people waiting, forget it, I just walk out
If I do get there I am constantly fidgeting.
People look at me like I am crazy (maybe I am), messing with my hair, tapping my feet, biting my credit card, cannot stand still
I think sometimes that the cashier thinks I'm being impatient and rude, I try and control it but its so hard

Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
(female)

szyq1212 HB User

I know my panic attacks in the stores is the fear of having one in line in front of everyone. One attack I had the cashier asked me if I had drank too much coffee - well, i didn't even have a cup that day - so, of course I looked like an idiot and everyone was staring at me like I had the worse case of parkisons or something because I couldn't quit shaking and trembling. Does anyone know if the meds I am own will help with this problem. I actually had to go pick my son up at school yesterday because he was sick and my hands started shaking so bad I couldn't even sign him out, the school secretary also looked at me like I was a lunatic. Why in the world do I shake so bad. Like I said - just the fear of trembling and shaking in front of people has made my panic and anxiety out of control! I just want to be normal again. Susie

Closed Thread