It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

kjarels HB User
Topamax for anxiety??

Has any of your doctors ever prescribed this for stress and anxiety for you?? Well mine did. First took me off Zoloft because I complained about weight gain and couldn't sleep that well, even though my wife and I are going through a divorce, thought this was kind of an odd time to do that. I work at Virginia Tech and had to deal with the mass killings so he has put me on lexapro and still taking the Topamax as well. Everything I have read on Topamax there is no mention for treatment of stress or anxiety.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User
Re: Topamax for anxiety??

He has you taking it as a mood stablizer.

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 AM   #3
(male)

kjarels HB User

So you have heard of doctors using it for this?? He also thought it would help me lose weight because I have gained so much weight with the antidepressants but losing the taste of my diet soft drinks is driving me crazy so I am not sure I want to stay on something like this. I feel if a medicine can make you lose your taste for something then thats not a good thing.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

I have not heard of that specific drug being used, however it is an anticonvulsant (sp) and those slow your brain down, hence helping you to have a balanced mood. I take lamictal, it is very similiar. Works wonders in my opinion.

J

maybe even ask your doctor about lamictal?

Last edited by ILiveForMyKIDS; 05-01-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: im silly

Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #5
(male)

kjarels HB User

The thing I hate about this drug though is that is makes all my diet soft drinks taste horrible.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
(male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

Interesting. I personally don't like diet at all. Have you noticed any other changes? If that's the only one your lucky. You don't feel like your "in a dream" or "not really here" or "dazzy"? Those are the side effects that can really sux. Hopefully this medication comes through with you.

J

Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

Patthedog HB User

I just got a prescription for it, now I don't want to take it! I live on diet soda! I'm only to take 50mg's, for anxiety. Maybe I should have went with the Wellbutrin?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
(female)

acebabe HB User

I have been on Topomax since November for migraines. At the time I was on Lexapro too. I am currently on Zoloft. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months and I had no change in taste with diet Coke. I did have some changes in other foods, but not bad.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
(female)

ihaveaheadache HB User

I guess you have to decide what's more important to you - drinking soft drinks which are bad for you anyway or losing the weight and helping the anxiety and stress. The problem I've run into myself is most anti-anxiety drugs are either really addictive and/or make you gain weight. ALL drugs cause side effects. Have you tried St. John's Wort as a natural treatment. I am considering taking Topamax myself for migraine prevention. If it helps beat my headaches, I'll take the funny tasting sodas personally.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
(male)

kjarels HB User

I am no longer on it now!! I am on lexapro but no longer on Topamax.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
(female)

Patthedog HB User

I couldn't handle the Topamax, increased the anxiety and impaired my vocabulary. I am now trying buspar

Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
(male)

kjarels HB User

Well the only difference like I said was the taste of my diet soft drinks and that was enough for me.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
(female)

vjbhanson HB User

Hi. This is my first post. I just started Topamax today and wanted to find a "web community" to track my own experience and see those of others. I am 43 years old (in August) and have been on Celexa for years with various additions here and there - Lexapro, Wellbrutrin and ultimately they peter out. My doc has put me on Topamax because of inablility to concentrate and finish tasks, obsessive eating and "the fog" and forgetfullness. I am now reading that Topamax causes some of these same short term memory problems that I am trying to fight. Interesting. Also, I am hearing of dramatic weight loss. Since my binge eating over the past 6 months I've probably gained about 20 lbs. Size 6/8 to a tight 10. There is no one though who has said how much they actually weigh. Are we talking fat or obese patients or just vanity pounds of 10-20 lbs overweight.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
(male)

kjarels HB User

I wish I could help you but I stopped taking it because it affected my taste for certain foods and my diet soft drinks tasted terrible. I know people think if thats all it affected I should have stayed on it but I enjoy those things so it was not worth it to me.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
(female)

Patthedog HB User

I wouldn't look for the Topamax to make a huge difference in your weight, I think at high doses, it helps, but lower doses no real effect. It increased my anxiety and I had problems recalling words. Not worth it. Buspar however seems to be working for me.

Closed Thread