It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

amberil HB User
Red face HELP!!! Getting tooth pulled and scared to death!!!

I am petrified of the dentist and haven't went in years. Well, I have had a bad molar for a few years and about a year and a half ago it was hurting me really bad, so I made an appt with a Dentist and went to get it pulled. I ended up having to walk out because he was so mean and wouldn't numb my gums before using the needle. Well now that tooth has flared up again in the last week and I was in terrible pain again. A friend told me about Dent's gum that you break a piece off and put it in the hole in your tooth, so I tried it and when I pushed it in I felt a really sharp pain and more throbbing afterward. I used to able to feel something in the whole of the tooth, but after that, now all I feel is a whole.

Two days ago I starting feeling really ill, the tooth is a very dull pain and I could live with that, but I have had a constant headache on the side of the tooth, my eye hurts, my cheek is slightly swollen, I have body aches and pains like the flu, and just overall feel run down and crappy.

I called the dentist emerg. # yesterday and they told me start taking Amoxicillin. I did that and then called this morning and they want to pull the tooth next Tuesday. I need help getting over my fear!! I already have anxiety and panic attacks and I've heard that the novocaine can cause your heart to race and you feel sweaty and stuff. That scares the crap outta me!! Is there anything else they can use to numb it that won't do that? I hope someone has some ideas. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: HELP!!! Getting tooth pulled and scared to death!!!

i'm sorry that you have such fear of the dentist. are you going back to the same one? even if they don't numb the area before the shot it only hurts for a few seconds. also it is not usual to have the heart racing and other effects from the novacaine. i have had it only happen once in all the work i have had done. does your dentist use gas? that will help while you are in there but not the anxiety beforehand. there isn't any reason to feel much if any pain at the dentist. i hope you go and get it taken care of. God bless

Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

amberil HB User

Thanks for the replies! I've heard they have novocaine without epineherine, so I am definitely going to call them closer to my appt time. It's been so long since I've had to get a shot, I don't recall having a reaction, but I didn't have the anxiety problems then either, so I'm thinking I could have a reaction this time. I'm sure I'll have myself into a total panic by the time the appt arrives.
Thanks again!
Amber

Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

I know what it's like to be scared of the dentist. i had a tooth pulled a couple of years ago and I was dreading it - put it off for months and months b/c I was so scared. But I ended up having it removed by a guy I used to sit next to at school! and it didn't hurt at all and it healed up really fast. I have panic attacks and anxiety too, and am currently medicated for it but I wasn't medicated when I had that tooth pulled and really didn't get too anxious. good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I know you are scared to go to the dentist but you really need to get that tooth pulled. I just got my wisdom teeth out 3 weeks ago and my anxiety was through the roof! But now I have calmed down and forgotten about it. The thing you need to worry about is that tooth could get so infected that it could cause you some major problems. Just do whatever you need to do to get in there and get it pulled.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

amberil HB User

I have a few more questions....I mentioned my symptoms and I think I forgot to mention I've had a fever also, but sometimes I get sharp stabbing pains in my head in different places. It only lasts a short while, but is very uncomfortable and also I get this pressure/pain in my head at times and it clogs my ears up when it happens and feels like my head is going to explode. My whole body aches, especially when I get up in the morning. Could that tooth be causing all these troubles? I am taking amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day. They want me to take it 3 times a day but it makes me so sick to my stomach that I can only do it twice a day. I've heard of a bad tooth causing the infection to spread throughout the whole body and that really scares me. I don't know what the symptoms of that would be? Thanks!
Amber

Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
(female)

brisson1 HB User

I really feel for you. I have always been terrified of the dentist ever since i was a child and had a filling without any numbing (my dentist wouldnt give it to kids).
Last year after having terrible toothache for a while i finally gave in and went. because i hadnt been for so long it turned out i had to have root canal on three teeth!!
Beofre letting the dentist anyway near my teeth i told him about my phobia, i was in floods of tears and completely terrified.
He told me a lot of people have this and that many dentists have new ideas of how to relax you and prevent pain.
He had a range of options anything from hypnotherapy to general anaesthetic if i thought that would be the only way i would let him near me!!!
He also went through relaxation techniques.
I chose meditation and numbing injection and i can really say i felt nothing at all, in fact i dozed off i was so relaxed!!! He had to wake me up to stop my mouth closing!!!
Ask your dentist, maybe they offer services like that?
I wish you all the best, its not a nice thing to have a tooth pulled, but you will feel so much better in the long run.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

emma j HB User

Hi thought i'd give my two cents..this may be a little long.

Like you i am terrified of the dentists and didn't go for maybe over 10 years. i'm afriad on the dentist the smell the clinical feeling and even more needles. So not xmas gone for the xmass before i bit into a buscuit and off came some of my tooth.I didn't tell anyone that i could already feel a little whole because then i'd have to go to the dentist. So after this peice of tooth broke off i knew i had to go to the dentist.
So a week later i went with my mam.i was a wrecked. i was 21 when this happened and needless to say i ended up like an 8year old crying everywhere. I had to get ex-rays done(that was fun, i gagged the whole time) then i was told i needed two feelings..and the dreaded needle. the dentist so so horrible about it."yeah well you have to get it you've no choice,theneedle won't hurt u wont even feel it" this meant nothing to me..i didn't go back.
So then gradually the pain started to kick in, more andmore and like u te throbbing the soreness all up my face, the sore eyes check and head.i could take it anymore so i got into the internet and started researching into getthing knocked out. Here where i love we don't have the happy gas just sedation. Its called twlight sedation. But this was a needle in the arm.
Anyways i'mgetting there. found a dentist that was recommened as being sympathic to people like me.Went along. He didn't even use any instruments just his fiinger and iwas in tears.he said that i either needed a root canal or get it taken out.I was ike god please just get it out.So we talked about iv sedation, and how it would involved a needle. So we planned some valuim beforand to calm me. In the time between my appointment i had two sessions of hypnosis.
So the big day game.i went in,the valuim was fecked up, wrong times,took amajor full on panic attack in the sugery(which the whole building heard) got the iv in and the vein blew.Then he tried to do it awake, i started hyperventalating, had to get a paprer bag wasn't nice.
So we went ago a month later and wow,iv sedation is the best thing i've EVER done. I got the valium at the right time, felt verystoned.Cried a bit whent he needle bit came but was to out of it to kinda remember.once the iv was in i lost an hour and a half of memory.Igot 2 needles i my mouth and remember neither.
Anyways the point to all that was your really really not alone. If you can ring up ur dentist and ask about iv sedation ad something before that to calm you down.iwould get it again in a heart beat i was wide awake but remember NOTHING. its amazing. i am now so so proud of myself.Yeah it took a panic attact that iwill never forget but i got there..
Good luck. i know how u feel.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
(female)

amberil HB User

Thank all of you so much for your support, I really appreciate it. Brisson and Emma, that's gonna be me, bawling my eyes out like a little baby. Here I am worried about the novacaine making my heart race, I'm sure I'll be doing that on my own...I'm afraid of having a full blown panic attack..and that is sooo embarassing!! Today is day 4 on the antibiotics and I can tell it's working some, because I don't have the fever anymore and my headaches are better, but last nite I started getting dizzy, especially when I bend over. If I'm sitting or laying down, it's not bad, but when I'm walking or bending over it's pretty bad. I hate that feeling too. I am just such a big baby *sigh* I'm getting more nervous as the appt gets closer. I'll update after the appt.
Amber

Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
(female)

LanieL HB User

I can relate to this! I'm not afraid of regular dental visits; however, removing a tooth is different! My wisdom teeth would bother me on and off throughout the years and then last year the pain didn't stop. They started to really cut through the gums and I was living on motrin around the clock. They needed to be removed and I was SCARED TO DEATH!!! And I DO mean scared! The night before the appointment I never slept. I tossed and turned and panicked all night long. I made up my mind not to go. Then I decided I would go, and let them pull one tooth- and THAT WAS IT! Ha! My husband could not convince me otherwise. Finally, at the last second, I threw on my clothes, grabbed my husband, and was out the door. I was scared, pale and near tears. And you know the kicker of the whole thing? IT WAS NOTHING! I had three wisdom teeth pulled and it was nothing. Geez, what the mind can do!!! The only thing I suggest is to let the doctor know you have panic and do not want any medication that may add to your anxiety! I always make that crystal clear!
L.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
(male)

omni586 HB User

Hey Amberil, I'm not sure if I'm just restating everything that has already been said but here are is my experience when I got a tooth pulled about 8 months ago:

My tooth pain actually started out as a cracked tooth by my goofy self eating one night and accidentally biting down on my fork I ignored the broken tooth and just went about life as normal untill one night I had -incredibly- sharp pains shoot through the tooth. I started taking amoxicillin (sp?) and tylenol for the pain and made an appointment to the dentist. She took me back, sat me down, gave me a FIVE shots in the roof of my mouth and in my gums to completely numb the area, so don't be afraid to ask for some extra numbing. Anyways, she stuck the pliers on the tooth, pulled it out, gave me a prescription for some pain killers and I went back to work after the appointment. It seemed like such a huge deal before but after the fact, I finally realized there was nothing to be afraid about. Just don't be afraid to ask for some more novacaine that stuff is great, and don't run out of the dentist again! The only thing that does is gives the infection in your tooth more time to get worse and make you hurt more

Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
(female)

amberil HB User

Thanks again everyone, your advice and experience is so appreciated!! I do keep telling myself it's going to be no big deal. I'm trying to convince myself LOL!! I had a tooth pulled several years back and can hardly remember anything about it, so it can't be THAT bad; but then again I didn't suffer from bad anxiety then either.

Has anyone here ever had a bad experience with the novacaine? That's freaking me out. And should I take a xanax before I go to help keep me calm? I'm also afraid I will freak out because I can't feel my lips or tongue or whatever, even tho I know why it's that way. Geez I'm sooo weird!! I'll update when I get home tomorrow from the appt. Thanks again everyone!!
Amber

Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
(male)

omni586 HB User

every experience I've had with novacaine has been a GREAT one. I love novacaine, its truly a godsend to anyone who's having dental work done :P

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
(female)

amberil HB User

Well, I did it and it's over!!!!! yahhhhhhh!!!! BUT it was pretty traumatic I must say....I had a reaction to the Novacaine just as I suspected I would. I took 1/2 a xanax before I went and wasn't doing too bad until they gave me the shots...then my heart raced, my hands and legs went numb and tingly and I almost totally freaked out!! They said it was from something in the Novacaine. It lasted about 20-30 mins then it got better....he went to do my filling on a front tooth that I asked him to do once I got there and it hurt, so he had to give me another shot. But the filling and the tooth extraction only lasted about 15 mins max and was a breeze!!!!!! He numbed me up real good before the shots, so the only one I felt was the one in the roof of the mouth of course, the worst place to get a shot. I'm so glad I went and my dentist and his asst were sooooo understanding to me. I couldn't have asked for anyone more understanding!! Thanks everyone for your support!!
Amber

Closed Thread