It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

NicoletteAshley HB User
Exclamation Has anyone taken Toprol XL for Anxiety and Heart palpitations??

My Doctor prescribed me this because of my Anxiety and my heart palpitations, which include, Tachycardia, PVC's, PAC's and who knows what else. I had an Echo done, and it came back normal, however I have noticed that my heart flutters and skips a beat every other beat, and I feel a little lightheaded/dizzy, and a few days ago it lasted for about an hour which really scared me. I was almost off my period at the time, and I know that my period is a trigger for these evil things. I had a major Panic attack last night in front of my mom who was telling me to calm down, and focus on my breathing. It eventually passed, and I felt exhausted and flushed afterwards. Even though I have had so many tests such as the Echo, blood tests, and so on, are these skipped beats especially when they come in runs and every other beat really benign, as my Echo came back normal along with the Tachycardia??? I'am having these things EVERYDAY constantly, even when I'am not anxious, it's just thud after thud after thud, which makes me cough and takes my breath away. I'am sick of it! Can the Toprol really take care of this major problem. I have a major medication phobia so I'am afraid to take it, after reading of the possible side effects. I know I should not have done that. Can taking it make my skipping worse, as it can really slow the heart down and lower the blood pressure. My heart is driving me crazy. During all of my attacks, I'am convinced that I'am going to die, because of how it skips flutters and races so severely. Since all of my tests have come back normal, can Anxiety and Panic cause such severe symptoms, even when I'am not particularly anxious, and can Toprol help?? So So sorry about all my questions, I just really need advice and or imput about this medication before I start taking it tomorrow. Thanks sooo much for any replies.

~NicoletteAshley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Re: Has anyone taken Toprol XL for Anxiety and Heart palpitations??

Hi NicoletteAshley
I replied to a post back in Sept. on the Panic Disorder board. I went back and searched for it for you. I think it will explain what you are looking for reguarding beta blockers. Here is the post~
It is to my understanding that beta blockers are used to treat panic disorder as well as many other illness, such as migraines, heart problems, high blood pressue, and angina.
My cardio Dr. at the time told me that beta blockers have the ability to block the action of certain body chemicals, called beta receptors in the autonomic nervous system. He also told me beta blockers are very effective in treating performance anxiety.. "He never does a speech without one" Quote.
Beta blockers help treat trembling, palpitations, rapid breathing, sweating, Lightheadness, and rapid pulse, by slowing down the nervous system. I myself was perscribed toprol XL but after taking it I was soooo sluggish.. I felt like sleeping all the time, which is totally normal until your body adjusts to the medication, I did notice the heart rate change, I usually run a fast heart rate 90's and over 100, and on the beta blocker my heart rate was in the 60's. BIG diffrence. I felt very very relaxed, and calm.. beta blockers also blocks the harmful effects of stress hormone on your heart.
I had a baby so I was stopping all medication treatment until after birth. Now it's been 1 1/2 years and I am wondering if I should give the beta blocker another try. I suffer from horriable headaches, vertigo, and panic attacks. I think giving the beta blockers is worth a try, see how your body reacts perhaps this drug could be benifical to you!
P.S. I do know the Doctors would rather try beta blockers first verses benzo type drugs, It has the same effect without the dependency.
I hope this was helpful to you. Boxerlover

Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

NicoletteAshley HB User

Thank you so much for your reply Boxerlover! I feel more comfortable about taking it tomorrow after reading your post. And like you said, it could be beneficial to me. I'am also taking Xanax daily, which dosen't help me at all. I hope Toprol does.

Thanks a lot!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
(female)

NicoletteAshley HB User

Oh and another thing sorry for the double post, but my heart rate is normally in the 60's or 70's, and I don't have HBP. Can Toprol make it go down too low, and cause Bradycardia when I'am not having Tachycardia, just skipped beats?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Your Very Welcome! You might feel a little sluggish and tired after taking it. This is totally normal as I mentioned before. My Cardiologist said that my body just needed to adjust to the change and that is why I felt so sluggish and tired. I am sure you will welcome a little fatigue over anxiety and Panic! I would definitely give it a try, worse case you feel tired. Keep me posted Let me know how it goes! Good Luck Boxerlover

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your heart rate is usually Low? Were you instructed to take the beta blocker only when you were feeling anxiety? I am a little confused? Or are you just taken it for the skipped beats?
Yes a beta blocker will slow your heart rate down when you take it. How low I am not sure, You can post that question on the Heart Board here at healthboards. I can tell you there are TONS of others taking Beta blockers for this same reason as well as anxiety on that board that can answer that question better. I CAN tell you from my experience, I had a very fast heart rate as mentioned, and the drop was from over 100 to the 60's. I couldn't get my heart rate up even if I tried! I was very very relaxed and calm.
I am sure if your Dr. thought there was going to be a problem He or She would not have prescribed the beta blocker to you. I wouldn't worry so much, don't let the anxiety prevent you from taking something that may help you feel better.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
(female)

NicoletteAshley HB User

Sorry to confuse you. I was instructed to take it daily. 25mg for three days, and if I tolerate that dose, I go up to 50mg a day. I constantly have skipped beats every day, especially during PMS, and while I'am on my period, and also ovulation. I get Tachycardia moderately, but not as much as the PVC's or PAC's. My Doctor saw my event monitor results, and decided this medication was worth a try. He has referred me to a Cardiologist, and I see him at the end of the month, and then we will go from there. But that is what worries me, my heart rate and BP are normal, if I take the med daily, my heart rate and BP will get too low. I only get the Tachycardia during anxious periods or Panic Attacks, but the skipped beats are constant, so maybe it will help this problem, and not lower my blood pressure and heart rate too much?? The Tachycardia isn't constant.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ammy05 HB User
Smile Re: Has anyone taken Toprol XL for Anxiety and Heart palpitations??

Hi Nicole and Everyone , I am sure glad I found this thread . My doctor just put me on Toprol xl , for the exact reasons you have . My heart rate would go up to 111 . Didn't know if my heartrate was causing me to panic or my panic was causing my heart rate . I finally gave in and went back on xanax also , on as needed basis . I also have HBP so this was scaring me too death or so I thought . Just a suggestion with the toprol , my doctor recommended that i take it at night , because of the drowsiness , which works out great for me because I have a hard time sleeping with my heart racing . Had a good night sleep finally . Just a little concerned about wieght gain as a side effect . Thanks

Closed Thread