It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

SpectreR1 HB User
Paxil and Xanax users

I have an odd question. I have read that these meds can lower your sex drive.. How about lose your feelings twards your spouse?

Long story short.. having marriage issues and I'm wondering if it could be the meds my wife is taking for her anxiety... She said she started slowing feeling like this almost a year ago and that was around the same time she got on the meds.. She got them from our family doctor.. She's going to a shrink as soon as there is an opening so she can get on the right kind she needs for her situation.. Though I am more then likely just grabing straws now I hope I can hold out long enough to wait for her.

Anyone thought I'd would ask..

Has any of these messed anyone elses relationships up?

Last edited by SpectreR1; 05-11-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

Dawn B. HB User
Re: Paxil and Xanax users

When I first started Paxil I didn't have much of a sex drive, and having sex never got me anywhere, if you know what I mean. But after I adjusted to the meds, and started to feel really good, and normal again, my ability to enjoy sex, and life came back. I can't really remember how long it took, probably months.
Dawn <><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

alefever26 HB User

i have definately noticed a change since i've been on paxil. me and my hubby rarely have sex due to my lack of sex drive, i feel no real emotions. he always thinks i dont love him. this is all since the paxil. it has just made me kind of numb. but, its either that or horrible panic attacks all day every day and me constantly crying..

Old 05-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

Sex drive is one of the reasons I got off Paxil. I had no desire at all to have sex, and on the rare occasions that I did I couldn't finish (would take 45 minutes to an hour). Not to mention the total numbing of your emotions like pretty much everyone on Paxil reports going through. I'd rather have anxiety than feel nothing at all for the rest of my life, so I decided to get off after 3 years and things are going good.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
(male)

SpectreR1 HB User

So people are losing their emotions as well not just their sex drive.. Makes me feel a little more optamistic about my marriage..

I had my first anxiety attack 2 nights ago at the store.. it was very mild but I have a new respect for what my wife (and others) deal with. I couldn't imagine having that happen all the time..

Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I am the same way, I have been on Paxil for almost 3 weeks and I too have absolutely no sex drive. Of course my husband is not ok with this but I guess it would not matter what SSRI you take I guess they all have the same effect.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
(male)

SpectreR1 HB User

After talking more and thinking about other things. I seems my wife is in a major depression right now.. She's detached herself from everything and everyone.. Hopefully the counselors will call me back soon to get her an appointment..

Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
(female)

violaroses HB User

paxil is a god send for me. thank yo paxil inventors, i do not have any sexual side effect, no weight gain, no non emotional feelings, but i do know others have. so you are not alone, take comfort, (()))))
one friend, although i would NEVER advise you, takes a few days off of paxil to get her sex drive feeling back. i wouldnt ever mess with my pills because i get extreme dizzyness if i mess with my paxil pills.
good luck,

Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
(female)

Escgirl HB User

long story short -- can write more to you later...

chronic pain for 7yrs. never wanted sex = due to disc herniations etc. - just started taking xanax and the first week of using I felt like i wanted sex - I felt normal, not edgy, not so much pain and no more anxiety ....

maybe her meds can be tweeked? and also, maybe it makes a difference whcih drug she takes and the amount given.... maybe they need to keep adjusting the dose and trying different kinds??
I am thrilled to want to have sex again.....

escgirl
ps.. how old is she??? I am only 37 and going thru perimenopause --- oh boy is this fun.... I needed to go on birth control to help with the hormones issues too....

Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 AM   #10
(female)

timwendi HB User

Talk to your Dr about adding Wellbutrin..........it helps with sex issues.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-15-2007 at 06:12 AM.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
(male)

SpectreR1 HB User

She's going to a therapist tomorrow. I don't know if it's her meds causing this or other issues haunting her.. The therapist should be able to make that determination.

I actually was prescribed welbutrin to help quit smoking.. We never stopped smoking and had meds left over in a drawer. Well Ihad a bad anxiety attack and took one of those for it and it just made me a zombie.. I calmed down but had no motivation to do anything except lay in bed and sleep..

Meds are crazy..

Closed Thread