It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

zeyavia HB User
does xanax actually produce chemicals that MAKE you have anxiety???

k so i was reading something where someone said that after you take xanax and it wears off it actually produces chemicals that GIVE you anxiety so therefore you take another pill and hence become addicted
to me this sounded idiotic...and i thought ok well maybe you get anxious after it wears off cause its ALL IN YOUR MIND but the drug doesnt actually do that does it

Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
Re: does xanax actually produce chemicals that MAKE you have anxiety???

What you are pointing to is something called "rebound anxiety". If you do take higher dosages and then just stop taking them abruptly then yes, you can suffer from rebound anxiety. I only take .25mg to take the edge off when needed and don't seem to get rebound anxiety. Now when I traveled a month ago I took 1mg and noticed that when it started to wear off, yes, I was quite anxious. In my opinion, you should come off of xanax gradually and take smaller doses to prevent rebound anxiety.
Everyone's body reacts to medicine differently so its best to see how you will react and abide by your doctor's advice so you don't get addicted.

lyl

Last edited by lylone; 06-03-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

zeyavia HB User

well see last night i took HALF of a .25 pill and it was fine...i mean i took it when i wasnt anxious just to see...but then i read on the net on another board someone say this...that is can happen EVEN AFTER YOUR FIRST TIME...on low dosages...so all night i was a bit anxious...and this morning i woke up feeling anxiety and im wondering if im doing it to myself or if its the xanax cause it wore off
i dont wanna take another today...i only wanna take it as needed
i guess my question is...it is possible to take this med AS NEEDED correct???i dont need to take one everyday...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I take my .25mg as needed. I also do some form of exercise everyday that seems to help out a lot. I walk on the treadmill, go for a swim, do some housework, or even wash the car. Just something to get the blood pumping everyday to help me sleep at night.
I usually get anxiety at night before I go to bed, and have to take a xanax to "take the edge off" or in the morning driving to work. I leave at 6am to get to work in the morning and usually there is not much on the roads to distract me so I start to worry.

Just be assured that your not the only one out there with xanax in your purse. And I have both, the generic and brand and I don't notice a difference in the two.

lyl

Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

zeyavia HB User

k so what im feeling now and this morning is most likely just me having a normal attack...and NOTHING to do with the xanax being outta my system...as in the xanax is not CAUSING me to feel this way???

Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I don't think that your anxiety this morning is caused by you not taking xanax. Something else is causing you to freak out.
People get addicted to xanax because it is an easy fix to panic attacks. There are other methods and ways to stop an anxiety attack. Deep breathing and meditation is one.
Have you seen a therapist? You don't have to go see a psychologist, but can see a clinical therapist to help you pinpoint your fears and how to get your body out of panic mode without xanax.
Also, there are many books out there that can give you techniques to cope with stress and anxiety. I have The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne. It gives you the techniques, has good exercises to help cope and even explains what causes the body to have panic attack.
It was suggested by my therapist and I still pull it out on a regular basis.

lyl

Last edited by lylone; 06-03-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
(female)

zeyavia HB User

yeah i think its cause i read that stuff on the net...lol...which i need to STOP doing...i took the xanax...i was fine and now i can move on and take it again if i need it...
so i mean you def. think i should keep taking it...if i need to...but try not to take it everyday if i dont???i do talk to someone...she isnt that helpful cause i cant get in with her very often
usually i have anxiety when im driving(far places) or also at work so i think im just gonna use the xanax for those times
another question: ppl say they take it BEFORE they start to feel anxious and are going into a stressful situation so it wont come...OR should i wait until i feel that way???i think at work ill just wait but if i know im driving somewhere ill take it an hour or so beforehand...just to make sure im not gonna be tired
last night it didnt make me anymore tired than i actually was..i actually had trouble sleeping but i think its cause i had all those thoughts running through my head and by the time i had decided to go to sleep like five hours had passed since i took the half pill so im sure it wasnt in my system that much...
anyway...lol...as you can see i think too much...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

If you have to depend on the xanax for awhile then go ahead and take it. Last July, I was a walking freak. I was afraid to drive or go anywhere in the fear that I would have a panic attack. I would take one before going to the grocery store in the fear of freaking out in the checkout lane. Trust me, you are not the only one who thinks too much. I also was afraid that I would have a meltdown before my next therapist appt. I was seeing her weekly when it was at its worst and taking 2 xanax .5mg a day!
It was horrible, but I was able to get through it. Take them if you need them now, but your condition should improve and if you feel better, then try to skip doses.
Mine also gets worse around period time and then its really hard to turn off the "thinking switch".

Almost a year later, I take them sometimes for the drive in to work, and sometimes when I am at work, but hardly ever on the weekends. The key is to keep your mind on other things, so you don't think about anxiety.
I went to Disney World for a week and had no issues except for the plane ride. That right there told me that it was "all in my head".

Do what you can, and take them when you need them. Your not a nut case and anyone who tells you is crazy. Everyone I have talked to has had some problems with anxiety....just didn't make it that public.

Your not alone,
lyl

Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
(female)

zeyavia HB User

awww thanks that means a lot...yeah well i happen to be having pms right now...and it is worse during that time...i actually thought for a min. i had that thing called pmdd...have you heard of it???but i also get anxiety after my period and just basically it doesnt center around my period but is worse at that time
ok so i mean its possible to be on xanax for awhile then not use it as much and become a bit better
i know it wont cure us but i have heard that happening to some ppl...it kinda makes them see they can do these things and gives them conf. and also is a security just knowing its in your purse ya know
so last night was my first time and im not sure yet when ill take it again
i think i need some more TRIAL periods when im at home to see how it effects me...maybe once more...and ill try to go somewhere...
i freaked out a bit last night cause i kept waiting for it to make me feel WEIRD or strange but it was fine...
should i go up to my prescribed .25 dose or cut it in half again...the half gave me some relaxation but not a whole lot...
kudos to you on your disney trip

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

.25mg is usually what I stick with and I am fine when I am on it. It just takes the edge off and doesn't make me sleepy or anything. Its up to you if you want to take the whole dose, and do what is best for you.
The only thing I notice is that if someone cuts me off while driving or makes a snide remark at work, is that I don't seem to care. Things like that used to really set me off and make me upset.
I used to have problems with "blowing my top" a lot, but lately it rolls off one shoulder and off somewhere else.
Hormones suck and I do notice myself taking more xanax during that time. I went off the pill for awhile and the anxiety was horrible. I had also quit smoking 6 months prior to stopping the pill and it seemed like everything just "caved in" during that time.

Just take one day at a time, get some exercise, live for today and don't worry about tomorrow. There is so much life to be lived out there and don't let anxiety ruin it!

good luck,
lyl

Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
(female)

zeyavia HB User

oh yes i am a smoker...i only smoke like twice a day but still quitting is the pits...so kudos on that one to...lol...so was it just your temper or did you have anxiety attacks as in feeling like you cant breathe...lightheaded...all that good stuff???i pretty much get those two...my big symptoms...but yeah i will do just that...i think eventually i will up my dose...next time ill cut the pill in half but take the bigger half and slowly work my way up....25 isnt that much anyway and im sure ill feel fine
so after you are coming off the xanax...do you even notice as in does it bring on another attack or are you just fine...??

Old 06-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

I quit smoking using Xanax to help me because I felt that the smoking would harm my health much more than the Xanax ever would and I'm really glad I quit. Really scarey long term effects of smoking.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
(female)

zeyavia HB User

yeah im trying...even though i dont smoke a lot...i know its still harmful...anyway so basically NO xanax is not gonna harm me in that way...its not gonna MAKE me have anxiety once it wears off...esp. if im not abusing it...?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

The Xanax won't hurt you - the doctor would not have given it to you if he was concerned about it. My sister was a light smoker and just developed emphysema because of it so I'm just so glad I stopped and am warning all the people I care about how dangerous a habit it is.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #15
(female)

zeyavia HB User

right i mean he gave me a presp. for it a long time ago and i never got it filled
then later gave me lexapro...never took it...then i called last week and asked if he would call in the xanax cause i heard lots of good stories bout it...so he did...anyway hopefully it will help me...like i said i couldnt tell much of a dif. last night but i wasnt feeling anxious when i took it...i think tomorrow am im gonna try again to take some and just see how i feel

Closed Thread