It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User
Surgery and very scared

I am very scared about an upcoming surgery. I am not sleeping and seem to be having moments of extreme panic attacks. I am constantly cleaning to make sure the house is ready in case something happens. My surgery isn't scheduled until early to mid July (not yet firm). I will be having a craniotomy for my aneurysm. What would be the best option for me. I can't exercise because of this aneurysm. Should I ask for medication? Please help.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Surgery and very scared

If you are having that much anxiety I would definitely ask for some antianxiety meds. Also try a relaxation tape and deep breathing. I don't blame you for being anxious. Take one day at a time if you can. Today is the only day you can be sure of anyway. Godbless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

I think Marian is right on track with the relaxation tape idea, anti-anxiety meds if OK with doctor and trying to stay in the moment. I have had presurgery anxiety and it is truly needless suffering so I have decided that the next time I have to go for surgery I will do hypnosis first - they make you a tape (all hypnosis is really self-hypnosis) that you use for a week before surgery and according to people I have spoken to who have done this it is very effective. This is sort of an extension of the relaxation tape idea. Find a good hypnotherapist who has experience with presurgery anxiety and I know it will make a big difference. And you have time to work with this!
I have very positive feelings about this and your successful surgery treatment.
Healing thoughts and prayers go out to you. I know what you are going through - please follow up on this - I've heard such good things about it.

Last edited by Andrea84; 06-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

Thank you for the reply. Any tapes you recommend? Which doctor do you recommend I ask? Pain Managment, Primary or the surgeon? I just don't want to step on toes or do the wrong thing.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

I wouldn't ever worry about stepping on the doctors' toes (I used to feel that way too) - they are not gods - you are the health care consumer and the one who deserves every treatment to make you comfortable. For the anti-anxiety meds you can ask any doctor who is familiar with your condition - explain how you are feeling. If one doctor isn't sympathetic to what you are going through go to the other as long as he or she is familiar with your case.
I don't have the name of a particular relaxation tape - there are plenty on the web if you look them up - relaxation tape, creative visualization, presurgery. To recommend a hypnotherapist perhaps ask the pain management doctor. There are a number of physicians or nurses that are certified in hypnotherapy. They can be looked up too if your doctors don't know one.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Just went for surgery and I was prescribed adivan. It took the edge off. Don't be afraid to ask.

Closed Thread