It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

VoodooBiker HB User
Caffeine

Caffeine - glorious caffeine

Though I'm not nearly as bad as some of my co-workers (one person I know drank close to a case of Coke a day) - I was a slave to routine - having two cups of coffee a day. One I definitely needed to get me up. Then two months ago, I tried one of those detox diets (sort of modified - you could eat all you want, just so it was raw veggies or fruits - and no coffee). I went through some painful headaches for about four days, but then I was fine. And I went back to coffee.

One month ago, I had my first major anxiety attack, and it came after a day of coffee drinking - with the occasional glass of water. The anxiety attack was triggered after my fourth cup of coffee of the day at dinner.

Since then, I've switched to decaf, had the occasional small cup of coffee. But last Friday, I had a fairly big cup of coffee at a local coffee shop before work. While my heart wasn't racing, my chest was definitely tightening, my palms were sweating and I felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack.

My doctor doesn't believe caffeine is the trigger, and my good friend, who has had her share of anxiety attacks, believed that I'm mentally linking caffeine with anxiety and so I'm already setting myself up for an anxiety attack.

Just not too sure what to believe. I'm a big fan of coffee - Tanzanian Peaberry, Kenya, heck, I used to buy coffee online from this coffee house I visited in New Mexico. After 15 years, I would hate to imagine switching to decaf (even though I know there are some awesome decaf blends out there). I've never been a "pot a day" consumer - just two cups on average - with the occasional "four cup hellish workday" day.

It's weird that coffee would affect me this abruptly, but one of my friends told me his coworker woke up in the middle of the night once with a feverishly racing heartbeat from out of nowhere. He went to the emergency room - and it turned out to be caffeine - even though he only drank a cup a day.

Similar stories?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

korgiee HB User
Re: Caffeine

Are you kidding. I am not a coffee drinker and had coffee once after dinner and I have never been so sick in my life. Headache, racing heart, sick to my stomach and sweating. It did not pass until 4 in the morning. I thought I was going to die. I do drink soad from time to time and that has never happened. It WAS the caffeine in the coffee.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(male)

dalmaan78 HB User
Re: Caffeine

SAME PROBLEM! ..... 2 banannas a glass of water + 0.25mg of xanax helps for me, i drank coffee very excessivly and when i stoped i was hospitalized for dehydration after having a couple cokes, i was told by my doctor that due to my excessive caffeine "addiction"(haha), that my body had stoped absorbing potassium the way it should, i still constantly have this issue, i do not drink ANY caffeine now, i still become dehydrated once or twice a week, no matter how much water i drink, the trick is, a few bannanas and a glass of water if you have already eatin, if you havnt make sure you also have somthing salty along with it, but be carefull not to much salt, if you do that it will make your heart race more. after practicing this for over a year i have a pretty good idea of the salt-potassium ratio my body needs to retain water, but i was STILL HAVING ISSUES and its frustrating mostly happens to me at night. i was given a perscription for xanax which also seemed to help it ALOT . also take a multi vitman that has a good dose of potassium, and if you have drink alchohol, buy a potassium supliment and make sure to take a dose befor you consume any alchohol. im not SURE if you have the same problem i do but its worth a try!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-25-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Removed text message, chat room language and replaced it with the real word. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread