It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM  
(female)

hope555 HB User
Low blood sugar + anxiety

Hi all,
I have not officially been diagnosed, but I know that I have anxiety issues when I leave my comfort zone. For me, my comfort zones include my home, car and places at my university. My question is this: does anybody find that their anxiety causes their blood sugar to drop? I know I have hypoglycemia. This is because if I don't eat a meal every 5-5.5 hours, I start to feel lightheaded and faint. I even fainted once because I ate too little and exerted a lot (so my blood sugar had dropped). Since, then I've had a fear of not being able to get food, having low blood sugar, and fainting. When i'm in my comfort zones, I can stay the 5 hours without eating. But if I'm out with friends (an anxiety causing situation), after 3 hours following a fairly heavy meal, I start getting very bad hypoglycemia symptoms that go away with eating/ going back to a comfort zone. I can't imagine staying 5 hours without eating when I'm in anxiety situations.

I will go to the doc to investigate fully wats going on. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine? And if its reaaally hypogylcemia after 3 hours, or just my phobia of fainting and not getting food acting up?? Unfortunately, when it does happen, I can't imagine the symptoms being just due to anxiety, but I also can't imagine feeling low in sugar after only 3 hours.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 05:28 AM  
(female)

Sivam HB User
Re: Low blood sugar + anxiety

Hi,
Low blood sugar can certainly exhibit symptoms of trembling, weakness, lightheadedness.

You can have a blood glucose test and you will fast before the test. You wil give a blood sample and the lab will test for the levels of glucose in your blood-after fasting. There are also more involved methods of testing as well.

Do you find yourself having these symptoms in the morning after you have fasted throughout the night?

I would get it checked out and hopefully you can put your mind at rest. The fact that you refer to being out of your comfort zone could be anxiety causing these symptoms as well. I am learning anxiety can cause some pretty weird physical symptoms!

Hang in there !

Old 07-08-2007, 02:00 PM  
(female)

bratforlife HB User

Hope,

I too have the same problem. I wonder with mine if I really have low blood sugar or is it my anxiety the causes the low blood sugar. I do not go anywhere without having food in my purse. I carry around apple juice with me because it is fast acting sugar. I honestly think mine is anxiety related because I can go from 8 at night until 8 or 9 the next morning without eating. People with Hypoglycemia can not do that. I also just today had just finished eating some yogurt covered raisins and was reading about an accident where two people died ( death and accidents are a big anxiety bring on for me) and all of a sudden within seconds I was feeling the low sugar feeling and grabbed a glass of milk and it went away with in a minute. This is why I think it is anxiety because Milk would not cause my blood sugar to go up within a minute and make me feel better. I think anxiety is causing mine and when I get anxious that is how I feel, but I obsessive so much over eating every few hours that it is a vicious circle for me. I think I turn to food as my comfort. I am seeing a therapist to overcome all of this. I also can not drive more then an hour away from home. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks,
Dawn

Last edited by bratforlife; 07-08-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM  
(male)

Botcho HB User

I am going to have a 5 hour glucose test to rule out hypoglycemia next week.
I have tremor and weakness and notice that it gets beter after I eat.
I don't have anxiety where I worry about things, it just seems to be there all of the time. Like there is a disconnect with my mind and body.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:32 PM  
(female)

PeskyRabbit HB User

I'm having the exact same problem. I travel a lot and when I'm away from home, it really scares me. The worst for me is staying in a hotel that doesn't have a continental breakfast. Then I have to actually leave the hotel and go out to eat before I get my first meal of the day. By the time I get to the restaurant, I'm so panicky I don't even want to eat anymore, but I know it's the only way I'll feel better. It's hard enough when I'm alone, but it's so much worse when I'm with my husband or family. They are all enjoying their breakfast and looking forward to the rest of the day. I'm sitting there scared I'm going to pass out and then there's always the "what if I don't feel better after I eat this time." "What if something is really wrong with me and I'm so far away from home..." Just last week, I was out of town. I ate a cereal bar and a bananna in the hotel room. This only holds me over for about a half hour. I have to eat a real meal before I really feel better. Like I said, at home, I can deal with it and just eat. But when I'm out of town, I start to panic thinking about having to go to a restaurant and be around other people feeling like that. I need to go have my blood sugar tested, but I keep wondering if it's blood sugar or really my anxiety and reaction to the feelings I'm experiencing. I know everyone gets a little weak when they are really hungry, but most people don't freak out about it like I do. I get so scared. I recently read somewhere that people who have anxiety disorders often have undiagnosed hypoglycemia as well. I wonder if that's really true?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM  
(female)

emmablue HB User

From personal experience they go hand in hand. They have the same symptoms and low blood sugar can cause anxiety because you don't know when you might have an attack of low blood sugar. The key is to eat 6-8 small meals a day. Keep your blood sugar level all day. I did that for a year with a side of xanax as needed. It worked. I gave up sugar for that year as much as I could. Sugar is in a lot of things. It's hidden so you really have to read the labels. I carried a cooler around with milk or cheese in it as well when I was out and about. If I ate out I brought veggies to add to my lunch or dinner. You can work with it but it takes some thought and persistance.